Poor Eagles

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Poor Eagles

Post by snoopy »

At least they gave New England a run for their money.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Has anyone heard a reason as to why they weren't going no-huddle? That would have given them probably an extra minute to work with at the end there. It was done intentionally, I just can't figure out why. They should all know exactly what to do in that situation.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Cause they're clueless when it comes to time management, and McNabb cracked under the pressure.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Yea, what was up with that, they acted like they were stoned in the last few minutes of the game, or maybe someone told them the Superbowl has 5 quarters.
Max_T
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Max_T »

They did ok in the end, it was all gonna come down to an onside kick anyway. Their time management wasn't too bad.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

They choked...

Damn, I hate being right :/
Zoop!
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Zoop! »

Damn you McNabb! :(
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Go Gerbils! :D
{OSS}Paedric
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {OSS}Paedric »

GO PATS!!!
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

they already got there... no where for them to go. but at least you didn't do the typical sports fan thing and say "we won!" when all you were really doing was feeding your fat face with potato chips and beer.
;-0
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

'Poor Eagles'? They all made quite a few million dollars off you. I'm sure they're all boo-hoo as they get in thier $500,000 Escalades with their wives/hoes/soon-to-be-hoes and head back to the private playboy suites stocked with enough consumables to feed an African nation. Awww, those poor guys!
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

I can't possibly understand why you wouldn't go no huddle. The only reason I can think of is that they wanted to score with very little time left. That game was a very close defensive game. That's the only logical reason I can muster...it's a strech I know....

All in all though, that game was lost primarily due to turnovers. McNabb didn't handle himself very well...those turnovers in the redzone were killers!!!
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Testiculese wrote:'Poor Eagles'? They all made quite a few million dollars off you. I'm sure they're all boo-hoo as they get in thier $500,000 Escalades with their wives/hoes/soon-to-be-hoes and head back to the private playboy suites stocked with enough consumables to feed an African nation. Awww, those poor guys!
Wow! Your misunderstanding of the situation and the level to which you have bought into stereo-types is mind-boggling. Either that or your sarcasm really needs some work. :wink:
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

I can understand where Dave is coming from ....sort of. Granted most professional athletes are hugely over paid for what they do.

But Dave, some of us, love the sport and support our teams with great enthusiasm. To see your team make it to the championship game and lose like that...it's a painful site to watch.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

When you look back on it though atleast the last two Superbowls have been fun games to watch. Despite the fact that it did look like the Eagles rolled over in the last 2min of the game both teams gave it everything. Last year was the same thing. It wasn't just a typical "One team is happy to be there" scenario and another Superblowout game by the team expected to win.

In a way I'm really happy for the fans in Boston. After so many years of disappointments they're finally getting some chips to fall in their favor. Too bad the Celtics suck right now but hell, I'd take two out of the three major sports teams in my city winning championships anyday.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Cardnals will never win the superbowl in my lifetime. As it is, we make the highlight reals every single week....only as the opposing team...
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

No, but we still have the Suns and DBacks. I can live with that. Cardinals will make the playoffs next year, but they'll most likely lose in the 1st round. I think the Cardinals could win a superbowl if they'd stick with their talent and keep guys that contribute the most instead of trading them away all the time.

I can understand as a player it gets frustrating playing for a losing team, but you have to have the foresight to realize you're a big contributor to winning ways and reassurance from the organization that they'll get the key pieces to build around you and make a winning team. So far they might be on the right track, we'll just have to see.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I've seen plenty of football, and it's mostly interesting to watch. The accuracy of some QB's is uncanny. I didn't get to watch this one, I threw my back out and couldn't leave the house.

But I've seen grown men cry over a game involving a bunch of people in spandex they'll never meet. You can see the tear, as they fight it back. I think that's hysterical. I mean c'mon..enjoy the game. It's not going to affect your life. Eagles lost, so what, they obviously played well to get to where they were, and they obviously played a good team, for I hear it was neck-n-neck. They've done nothing to warrant a pity party, and they're still rich, most of'em. (Ded, I was being real sarcastic :))
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

Well the outcome of a game can affect your life...for instance you do you like to gamble??? heh.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Scratch wrote:Granted most professional athletes are hugely over paid for what they do.
I totally disagree. They are paid huge amounts of money to be sure, but I don't think they are over paid. Why? Because in most cases the market can support what the players are asking for.

If a player is asking for $100MM a season and gets it, then the market could afford it. If he doestn't get it, he needs to be more realistic.

Professional sports in the US is more about entertainment and edvertising than anything else these days. The money is being made by someone. I would rather it be made by the players whos sweat, effort, and ACL's are on the line every day.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Bah, BRONCOS are going to make a kick @$$ comeback next year, don't you worry.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Not with Jake Plummer you ain't :P
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Tyranny wrote:In a way I'm really happy for the fans in Boston. After so many years of disappointments they're finally getting some chips to fall in their favor. Too bad the Celtics suck right now but hell, I'd take two out of the three major sports teams in my city winning championships anyday.
How about Philly? When the hell do we get our chance? 21 years times four major sports teams...begins to reach Red Sox status. I'm damn sick of it; I'm sick of getting so worked up every year and getting let down in the end. And yet, I know next year I'll be there, yelling my head off as usual. That's what being a fan is about. It's a deeper addiction than any drug; it's a complete emotional tie to the team and the game. Either way, at the end of the day, I'm proud to live in the city with the best damn sports fans on the planet.

Hell, at least we proved the jackass commentators wrong and kept the game close, instead of the blowout it's been in most recent Superbowls. I'm not up to engaging in any commentary, not so soon, but a small part of me is still glad, just because we got there and gave it a shot. And hey, even if the commercials flat-out sucked, Paul McCartney is the absolute man. :D

Testi, I said this in the other thread: you'd be better off in Alaska/Antarctica than this town.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Hey, at least your teams are getting to championship games.

Us Minnesotans havnt seen damn near anything the last several decades exc ept two MLB chammpionships, a couple of Stanley Cup teasings, and a bunch of flat-on-our-face failures in all four leagues (2004 Vikings/Twins/Wolves, 2003 Twins/Wolves, 2002 Twins/Wild/Wolves). Meanwhile you philly fanatics get to see the eagles soar quite high yearly, the flyers also do consistently well in the NHL playoffs, and well, sorry about your baseball franchise :P

I wonder which city has been to the playoffs the most in the last decade without seeing a league/conference championship?
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

Top Gun wrote:Testi, I said this in the other thread: you'd be better off in Alaska/Antarctica than this town.
why would he be better off? it's no different than having some religious holiday ramrodded down your throat for 3 months out of the year.

it just gets very tired... and i totally understand testie. he seems to apprieciate the physical skills of these athletes but has to deal with a bunch of cattle that attach their emotional stability on the outcome of a game.

he seems more sane than the philly fans that use violence against people that don't have the right colors on. you do have a jail built into your stadium, right? how fuckin' sad is that? i wouldn't be proud of that.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Worse to me than the lack of the scripted no huddle was giving up before half-time. They had enough time on the clock, and time outs (I think it was like 1:30) before half time to at least give a couple long plays a try and shoot for a field goal. They ended up on the 40 yard line of the patriot's before time ran out. Had they managed well, they easily could have picked up the tying field goal before half.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

after watching that game, i think rush limbaugh was right. that loss damn near falls on mcnabb's shoulders 100%. he looked like a mediocre quaterback at best.

he's in charge of getting the plays in in a timely manner, and has total control of where his throws go. the guy had time, his errant throws were not his o-lines fault at all. you see some of the catches lj smith, to, and westbrook made? some very nice grabs on some very bad throws. the no huddle thing was a very bad idea, he should have taken control and moved everyone to the line.

or maybe his coach was a dumbass.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

kurupt, that was nowhere near the real McNabb. If you had watched the last two weeks, you would have seen a world of difference.

TheCops, I was just stating my honest opinion. I'm not advocating violence by any means, but I deeply admire the devotion that the fans in this city have for their teams, year after year. Being a fan myself, I just can't see where Testi is coming from.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

All I'm sayin is McNabb choked under the bright lights.
JohnnnY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by JohnnnY »

Yep, the Eagles choked again, but at least they gave them a run for their money. Thank god Brady didn't get MVP, because then they would've though he was Montana,which he isn't. At least Philly didn;t get blown out like Indy/Pittsburgh did against New England. We'll be back next year. = )
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

Scratch wrote:I can't possibly understand why you wouldn't go no huddle. The only reason I can think of is that they wanted to score with very little time left. That game was a very close defensive game. That's the only logical reason I can muster...it's a strech I know....

All in all though, that game was lost primarily due to turnovers. McNabb didn't handle himself very well...those turnovers in the redzone were killers!!!
that would be good logic had they been down by one possesion. but they were down by 2 possesions. on at least one of them you have to take a shot or two at the endzone and then settle for the field goal to send it to ot. have faith in your defense to stop them and give you the ball back with 2 to 3 minutes left and only a 7 point defecit. why they didnt do that with 6 minutes left, i have no idea. they were staying in bounds and staying in the huddle for 25 seconds... which is only smart had it been because they were calling the next 2-3 plays - but they werent. i dunno wtf was up with that.

as for my previous mcnabb comment, the turnovers reinforce my point. he's not that good. he may be fast with a cannon of an arm, but if you cant manage the clock or take care of the football, who are you? tony banks, thats who. remember him? didnt the rams win all those superbowls right after they replaced him?
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

kurupt wrote:he may be fast with a cannon of an arm...
... better check the calibration on that cannon again.
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

kurupt wrote:after watching that game, i think rush limbaugh was right. that loss damn near falls on mcnabb's shoulders 100%. he looked like a mediocre quaterback at best.

he's in charge of getting the plays in in a timely manner, and has total control of where his throws go. the guy had time, his errant throws were not his o-lines fault at all. you see some of the catches lj smith, to, and westbrook made? some very nice grabs on some very bad throws. the no huddle thing was a very bad idea, he should have taken control and moved everyone to the line.

or maybe his coach was a dumbass.
I agree, Mcnabb facked that game off. And what ticked me off is he didn't use his strengths and scramble. if that were vick he'd be running around the field like a damn squirrel.

too bad falcons didn't make it.

it felt like a monday night football game, not like last year with the panthers and patriots which was real good.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Lol, TopGun, the majority of Phili fans are extrmemly not loyal. Eagles doing bad? They're totally ignored. Doing well? Right on the bandwagon.

Everyone's blaming McNabb? He seemed to be a great QB, great accuracy, good plays and all that...maybe he drank too much the night before?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Testi, even when the Eagles are playing like ****, games still sell out. Even though the fans are yelling and cursing at their screens, they're still watching. ;) The same goes for other Philly sports. Hell, even the Phillies retain a good fanbase, considering that they're the losingest franchise in baseball history. :P
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Testiculese wrote:Lol, TopGun, the majority of Phili fans are extrmemly not loyal. Eagles doing bad? They're totally ignored. Doing well? Right on the bandwagon.

Everyone's blaming McNabb? He seemed to be a great QB, great accuracy, good plays and all that...maybe he drank too much the night before?
I don't doubt that there are hard core fans, like top gun is saying, but the majority of Philly (at least ALL of the meadia) seems to latch on to one star player and hang all of their hopes on him. If there isn't a star player, they don't care about the team. I would say, though, that the hockey fans are a breed fo their own. The flyers don't get much pub., but those games are still crazy.