Wife gives car Cancer!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Wife gives car Cancer!

Post by llClutchll »

3 Feb 04
Wife's refusal to check oil levels, coolant levels and failure to let the car warm up at all before mashing the accellerator in below zero temperatures finally took it's toll... She blew the frelling motor.

That is bad, but this is what's killing me...

I now have to subject my 1990 convertible mustang to the salt water baths of the Michigan highways and roads. I spent the better part of last year searching for a rust free car, which I found, and paid high dollar for. Now it's going to get that horrible cancer called RUST because my wife has to drive (and probably kill) my daily driver.

Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

If she broke her own car, she's the one without one right? Why do you have to take the penalty instead of her?

Buy her a cheap, used japanese car she can rape all she want. If she kills it, simply buy her another one for cheap.

I know someone, he used to give his wife brand new BMW's, but she kept having accidents with them. After a while he decided to buy small second-hand cars for 500 to 1000 bucks and let her drive with that. If she damaged more than 1000 bucks worth of repairings, he would get rid of the car and get another one for ~800 bucks...

Anyway, sorry to hear about that. Terrible that some people have very bad driving habits. A friend of mine keeps his foot on the clutch all the time and instead of giving more gas he just plays with the clutch (a lot of clutch slip). He burns a clutch after as little as 20,000km Image
And slamming the accelerator on cold engines is murder, especially for older engines who have a cast iron block and light alloy head (like my cars). Oh well...
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

get her a yugo!
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Tricord:
If she broke her own car, she's the one without one right? Why do you have to take the penalty instead of her?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're not married are you Tricord? The simple answer to your question is: because he is the man, therefore by definition gets the short stick.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

No I'm not married Image

I mean, if this happened to me, I'd keep my own car while I find a replacement for my wife, not the other way around..
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Ouch
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

The problem Trichord is that I have 2 running cars, she blows hers up, she gets the daily driver.

When you hook up and get married, you will understand how futile this is... As much as I would like to punish her for this by making her walk to work and the store, I would wind up taking more hits than it is worth from not only her, but her family and mine. No matter how justified I am, I would be wrong in that situation.

My drive to work this morning was pure torture... I cringed every time I hit a salt-water puddle.

I feel like Charlie Brown, I just can't win Image
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

Does she know how you feel about the current situation. Yea, you can still give her precedence, but at the same time, let her know so she can at least TRY to be a little wiser in the future and be sensitive to how you feel about your baby car. If not, your going to just get more and more upset and believe me, it will show no matter how much you try to hold it in.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Find a good car wash that has an undercarriage bath with rust inhibitor.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

What Pun said..every day after work. Make her pay Image
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

Yeah, she is very aware of how I feel. This has happened before with other cars she has owned. I think this is the 3rd or 4th since I've known her. It just never happened during the winter months before. She just refuses to put forth the effort.

The reason I was able to get this Mustang was the fact that I had bought her last 3 cars for her, and I've been driving the same vehicle for the last 10 years. She felt guilty about it and suggested that I get the convertible because I had been talking about it ever since I've been with her.

It's just unbelievably frustrating.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

wife > car

keep her in good shape first. Image
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Clutch, if you show her the multi-thousand dollar bill, she just might pay attention to the dash and realize those lights actually mean something and aren't for show. Image Image
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Why don't you check the oil for her and take care of it?
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

break the dishwasher by "accident" Image and tell her how sad you are that this happend.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

LMAO!!! Digi

clutch, id do what Trichord says, go buy a POFS 500-800$ car and let her tear it to almighty sh!t.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Nope - here's what you do!!

Get yourself one of those uderground watering systems, and mount it in a circle just inside your garage door. Put spray units every foot. Before driving into garage in the evening, jump out of car, turn on tap full flow. Drive in and out of garage slowly about 5 times. Park car. Turn of water.

VOILA! Image
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by DigiJo:
break the dishwasher by "accident" Image and tell her how sad you are that this happend.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just don't do it the Tim Taylor way. She'll know who to blame then. Image
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

LOL Mobi!

If you run tap water at the temperatures around here and spray your car down with it, you won't be able to get into the car until a nice spring day!

As for checking the oil and such for her, I do it as much as possible, Usually ending up in a fight because all the levels are low, but I pretty much work two jobs, so if I'm not working, I'm sleeping, or fixing the house or everything else. On the other hand, she works 5 hours a week if she is busy. All she has to do is drop the kid off at school in the morning and pick her up at night.

Oh crap! I think I married Peg Bundy!
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

LMAO!
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Bring her out to the car (drag her by her hair if you have to) and pushher through doing all the stuff that she needs to do to maintain her car. Repeat as nessecary until she just starts doing it herself. If she doesnt, I say take the heat and leave her without a car till she learns some responsibility.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

the fix

get a lotus elise
its faster
lighter
made of fiberglass (wont rust)
"chassis" is aluminum "wont rust"
and its better than detroit steel

make sure you get some studded snow tires tho, dont want to go on the other side of the road
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Do you not wax your cars Clutch?
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by ccb056:
<b> the fix

get a lotus elise
its faster
lighter
made of fiberglass (wont rust)
"chassis" is aluminum "wont rust"
and its better than detroit steel

make sure you get some studded snow tires tho, dont want to go on the other side of the road</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, hate to break it to you but aluminum corrodes MUCH faster than steel. Especially in a galvanic environment.
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

LOL Jmeat... Where the hell do you live? Image

The salt water gets in the undercarrage, up and under the wheel wells, and basically every where. It's kind of like waxing your keyboard and expecting it to be protected from spilled cola.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

You mean....it wont??? Image
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno, Ittttttttttttttttttttttttttt wooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnntttttttttttttttttt

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Hmmm. Well, our system in Rhode Island worked a treat. The tap was inside the garage, and the water flowed fine. Coldest day we used it was -13C IIRC - and we never got any ice on the car. Temperatures in the garage were not as cold as outside.

Hey, here's what you could do: Build a reservoir, and add salt to it to stop it from freezing! Image
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
Hey, here's what you could do: Build a reservoir, and add salt to it to stop it from freezing! Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The irony.... Image
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Ah, I'm spoiled. Image My Rav4 has a sprayed on bed liner type substance on the running boards and in the wheel wells. Image

Just give her a good hose off every week or so including the under carriage.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Slap that ★■◆● and tell her to take the bus. Or better yet, walk.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Dude, you dont talk about someones wife like that.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Hes a kid, what do you expect?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Sage:
Slap that ★■◆● and tell her to take the bus. Or better yet, walk.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, when you're all grow'd up and married, I'd love to see you do that. Image
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

It's ok guys, anyone that has attended one of my LANs knows that she is anything but. Image
Krags
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Krags »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by llClutchll:
If you run tap water at the temperatures around here and spray your car down with it, you won't be able to get into the car until a nice spring day!
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

... Yeah, thereby solving your problem.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Salted roads are a conspiracy to destroy your car before its time so you have to keep buying new ones. Move to Colorado. Image No salt or corrosives are used on the roads. That, combined with our dry climate, and you can go to junkyards and still find classic vehicles decades old in prime restoration shape. My '88 Pathfinder has led an unsheltered life and there's not a spot of rust on it and it's close to 200,000 miles. Image
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Around here they don't even use salt. They use hot ash or hot sand to melt stuff off the roads. Image Works alot better than salt too.

bash: You should see the damage 2 years of living up in Detroit did to my dad's old '80 Chevy Scottsdale. I don't think theres a part on that truck that doesn't have rust spots on it. As it is, the hood and the bed of the truck would have to be replaced as its rusted all the way through in some spots. It must be a conspiracy by automobile companies to make you buy new vehicles every so often. Image