wassup ★■◆●

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

wassup ★■◆●

Post by roid »

something i just clipped from teh japan-teacher thread, i was posting this there, but figured it was just too importatnt to leave there so it's here. so it starts off talking about the japan stuff, it doesn't make sense here so ignore that bit and read on:

One day I noticed something peculiar...his hair. Apparently, he wanted cornrows. But of course, he doesn't have the hair for cornrows
wtf. i'm sure i've been in this situation before.
(but i am a little drinky, i read while i'm drinking, shutups)
a link from the DBB, concerning japan perhaps, and there was something about corn in a latter page of it.
deja vu extremeo

and i don't even know what cornrows are. some wigger thing no doubt. hey i just realised something, the only proper niggers (omg i said niggers) are in america, and they hate being identified. wtf you guys suck.
put a stop to the exports ppl PLS!, wiggers are jerks around here. can't you stop the whole thing?!@!?@ youy guys are at the source... i learnt howto spell source from a friendly linux guy who kept thinking i was about sores.

you don't see me teaching ppl howto be all Steve Erwin. CAN'T YOU GUYS DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE WIGGER SITAUATIOAN?@!#@ thrawn gimme some hope mate (who else here is ameri-notwhite).

wtfg is niggers anyway, did all black ppl in america come from Nigeria? get a grip, i demand to have easily dispensed equal racial hatred for ALL AMERICANS :lol:

this whole "★■◆●" thing is an inability for america to move past it's own borders. i don't ★■◆●ing care what horrible term you avoid in your own country.
THE RULE OF EARTH IS THAT ONCE YOU LEAVE YOUR ENEMY BEHIND AT YOUR HOME COUNTRY, YOU ARE OFFICIALLY OVER IT. welcome to earth, we make fun of everything, GET THE COTTON OUTA YOUR ASS, everyone's had a bad time here on earth. get over yourself fuckiing prudes.
you have no enemys out here, you know, "EARTH".

those idiots who don't know, i am not american. i don't CARE what your stupid terms are over there, slavery of africans didn't happen here. i think we enslaved some aboriginals but they probalalbly kicked our asses, anyway we're all cool now or something. (i dunno mate, read our history books, get lost)

you have to realise that outside of america, if it wasn't for ameri-spew-media we wouldn't even KNOW wtf the term ★■◆● even was. when you leave your own borders you leave your country's history behind. if you don't realise this then you are full of yourself and i will punch you in teh something - you really think earth cares? bwahahahahahahaha. get over yourslef, i don't care your people were enslaved anymore than you care about my family history of male emotional unavailablity caused from teh first and then second world war. as soon as i leave my family, IT'S ★■◆●ing FUNNY TO TALK ABOUT!!!

over IM i was talking to this american chick, she was black, and i was chatting about how she treats the term ★■◆●, goddadmn she was getting all upppity about it and sayuing how it's hurtful and stuff. frankly she was too narrow minded too leave her nest.

she knew very well that i lived thousands of yarnballs away across oceans and universes and stuff over here in austrailaasia - where we don't care. and the thing is, it's not in australia we don't care. it's the whole of EARTH that doesn't care, and you should ★■◆●ing know that, it should be ingrained into your psyche in teh lesson of "how big a culture can possibly be". the answer is: no, it's not that big. i don't think you're cool. i have no sympathy, it's unwarrented. we laugh at that out here.

theer's just this form of hummungous NIEVITY you would have to have about this planet we live on, to think that anyone beyond your own borders knows WTF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT when you talk of black slavery.
yeah... wow... that's really horrible buddy. pffffff hahahaa, you wank. look around... do you see any linchers here (earth)?

no (wtf is a lincher?)
and there never were any.
relax
get over yoursevess
your world is bigger than you even thought it could be

as soon as you leave your own country, you leave behind everything, and you have to open yourself to the possability that ppl you meet will have no idea of the cultural stigmata you put on things.
you could embrace it like most earthlings do (take it in as a breath of fresh clean air, as if the whole thing never happened - coz no-one knows wtf you are talking about), or you could take offence - holding onto your old stigmata like a tatoo that you INSIST everyone take notice of and dance around eggshells coz we did bad things to you a few centuries ago. oh wait.... hahah I'M NOT AMERICAN SO NO I DIDN'T IDIOT!!! what do you do... introduce yourself as:
"hi i'm alice... i come from a racist culture you don't understand where certain words are taken offence to, instead of adopting to the greater earth culture i will instead insist that you learn my entire country's history and treat me as damaged goods"

the internet not your country, it's earth bitches (mmmhoahahahaah).

"★■◆●" is funny.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

We are maturing here on the board. We can now openly discuss the "N" word. :roll:
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I dunno, I look at that post as a whole and my brain auto-classifies it as a mass of jibberish and refuses to process it. Someone please inform me if I am correct or if theres some meaningful content there?
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

are you saying that the world is bigger than the united states and americans shouldn't expect others to understand the specific terms used in racial division? i guess that makes sense. but as a courtesy you might want to refrain if someone finds it "hurtful", that's up to you i suppose.

people of what ever "oppressed" group often use certain words while addressing each other to either identify with each other or remove the power of the word. like i call some of my friends "white trash" or "trailer whores".

also, you aussies have plenty of racial division that i know nothing about and i wouldn't go slammin' an aborigine just because i don't understand the specifics of the situation and i wouldn't slam even if i did.

with that said i am convinced my middle name is now "cracker" just from using public transportation frequently.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Now we know why there are no famous drunk philosophers.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

TheCops wrote:are you saying that the world is bigger than the united states and americans shouldn't expect others to understand the specific terms used in racial division? i guess that makes sense. but as a courtesy you might want to refrain if someone finds it "hurtful", that's up to you i suppose.
indeed. it's up to me. don't expect it from ANYONE. frankly i'd feel like a failure if i let you (you are black in this illustration) get away with diminishing yourself like that, i'd rather laugh in your face and remind you you're not in america, you're on earth now.

my respecting your racial slurs would be putting me somehow into your cultural picture, which I TAKE OFFENSE TO. it's got absolutely nothing to do with me, or does it somehow have something to do with me coz my skin's white? what if an aboriginal australian said "wassup ★■◆●" to a black african?
do you see the absurdity? both i and the aboriginal fella have EQUALLY nothin to do with the term ★■◆●, yet the black fella may be seen by you to be more suitable to be using the language (wassup ★■◆●) just because of his skin colour.
this would be completely wrong. do you see why? because that would be connotating the word to PURE SKIN COLOUR. as if, because your skin is black, that means you are african american and therefore the word "★■◆●" means something to you. no no NO NO!
black skin comes in more flavours than just african american. and only to african americans does "★■◆●" mean anything. it doesn't mean ★■◆● to me, and it doesn't mean ★■◆● to my imaginary aboriginal friend here. it doesn't mean ★■◆● to ANYONE except in your country, which you have to remember is pretty small and insignificant compared to earth.
people of what ever "oppressed" group often use certain words while addressing each other to either identify with each other or remove the power of the word.

also, you aussies have plenty of racial division that i know nothing about and i wouldn't go slammin' an aborigine just because i don't understand the specifics of the situation and i wouldn't slam even if i did.

oh, indeed. and i wouldn't feel comfy comming to america and slammin' on some black chick. my point is that you don't take your horrible culture with you, that baggage stays home. if you feel it nessesary to drag along that kindof baggage with you, issues issues issues. as i said, you'd have to introduce yourself with "hi i'm african american, please do your utmost to make me feel at home by respecting all negative sterotypical behavior of my homecountry". heh... uh, no.

i don't introduce myself to people as "hi i'm diabetic, feel sorry for me. wubwub". people in the street do not know anything like that about me. and just the same, if a black american is walking around OUTSIDE HIS COUNTRY: no-one is going to see him as underprivileged black american (just choose a stereotype), no-one even knows he's american (well at least until he talks :lol:). the word "★■◆●" is meaningless among non-americans, it carries ZERO racial hatred. it's like a made-up word.

your (or our) respective cultural slurs deserve no respect, period. let alone outside of your country where you'll find people that have actually never even HEARD of the words (but hey, jump down their throats all the same, funfun).
with that said i am convinced my middle name is now "cracker" just from using public transportation frequently.
"cracker" is a new one for me. explain if you wanna, but there's no need.

treat the greater world you live in as nieve to your own culture, including your culture's problems. so if no-one understands, CELEBRATE!! leave it behind and breathe the new free air.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Will Robinson wrote:Now we know why there are no famous drunk philosophers.
you know nothing of philosophy.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

When I first came to this board, I thought it was a place where people who liked to play Descent 3 got together as a group. A place to talk about the game, people who play the game, and even life events as well.

But, itâ??s certain degenerates who donâ??t even play D3 that come here and post pure garbage for the sole purpose of getting a reaction. I play the game with all people of all colors and religion. Yes, I joke about Ingus, as an example, but never in a moronic thoughtless way. I like him.

The main problem is not the posters, but the moderators who arenâ??t doing their jobs by keeping trash like this, and in some cases the posters themselves, off the board. Necroposting?â?¦..thatâ??s your least worry.

Iâ??m not looking for a reaction to my post. I expect that the trash talkers will reply to this, but hopefully the moderators will read this first and remove it along with the first post.

I donâ??t post much here anymore, because itâ??s really not a Descent board any longer. I donâ??t know what it is, but whatever it is, itâ??s going downhill fast.

Sorry for offending but I was offended too. :(

Bettina
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I never post here, but I just gotta say that that's the most nonsensical, insensitive convolution of logic I've ever heard. Saying "★■◆●" is funny is like saying "Auschwitz" was funny. Why not flip the coin and make an attempt to be sensitive to all cultures of the world, whether they have anything to do with you or not? How does it offend or hurt you in any way to be compassionate? Your closedmindedness is a form of bigotry.

Oh, and Bettina. It hasn't been a Descent board in years. Go post on the planet descent forums if you want to talk about the finer points of gunboys.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

roid wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:Now we know why there are no famous drunk philosophers.
you know nothing of philosophy.
I know the difference between

"I think, therefore I am." - Descartes
and
"I drink, therefore I am." - Roid
Pebkac
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pebkac »

Punisher wrote:Why not flip the coin and make an attempt to be sensitive to all cultures of the world,
Heh, because he already stated quite clearly that respecting other cultures would be "putting me somehow into your cultural picture, which I TAKE OFFENSE TO."
roid wrote:you know nothing of philosophy.
LOL! You've moved into klubmarcus levels of stupdity with this thread, but please Mr. Socrates, have another dozen beers and educate us. :roll:
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

bet51987 wrote:I don’t post much here anymore, because it’s really not a Descent board any longer. I don’t know what it is, but whatever it is, it’s going downhill fast.
Hehehe. Yes, I left in a huff for exactly the same reasons, three or four years ago.

And yet... here I am. And here you are. :P
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Yeah, Pebkac, but by his own definition as a member of "earth" he IS in the cultural picture, like it or not.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Avder wrote:I dunno, I look at that post as a whole and my brain auto-classifies it as a mass of jibberish and refuses to process it. Someone please inform me if I am correct or if theres some meaningful content there?
You're right Avder. I'll let you know if I have any other insights after my eyes roll back to the front of my head...
Will Robinson wrote:I know the difference between

"I think, therefore I am." - Descartes
and
"I drink, therefore I am." - Roid
:lol: Yeah, and their corollaries,
I breathe, therefore I am vs.
I heave, therefore I am :P

Betts-
We can always use more of the feminine perspective around here. I haven't been on this board too long, but long enough to know that roid is ... well, roid.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Roid, I think you've gone off the deep end on this one. I can't even make sense of your posts, much less try to respond to them. I can, at the very least, answer a few of your questions about the actual terms. "★■◆●" was an offensive term used mostly by Southern whites against African-Americans from early colonial times. Now, however, thanks to the asinine hip-hop/MTV culture, it has somehow become a "catch phrase" for some younger African-American males. To me, anyone using it automatically gets branded an idiot. "Cracker" is a somewhat offensive term for whites. As for "cornrows," ever watch an NBA game? :P It's a hairstyle where the hair is tightly pulled into spaced parallel bands that run from the forehead back.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

punisher wrote: Oh, and Bettina. It hasn't been a Descent board in years. Go post on the planet descent forums if you want to talk about the finer points of gunboys.
I got your message loud and clear. A good way for a moderator to clean up the DBB. And btw, I am on PD.
Drakona wrote: Hehehe. Yes, I left in a huff for exactly the same reasons, three or four years ago.

And yet... here I am. And here you are.
Were not in the same boat you and I, You imply that you condone this, I don't.

There are a few really good people here, but their being overun by the degenerates and the moderators do nothing to stop it. I don't mind this not being a Descent board anymore. Its fun to talk about other events. But the language, inuendos, and insulting other people because of there skin color makes this board the worst of all the BB's.

Maybe I'm not grown up yet, or maybe I am, but don't bother jumping all over me for telling the truth, I'm going.

Bettina
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

bet51987 wrote:
punisher wrote:
Drakona wrote: Hehehe. Yes, I left in a huff for exactly the same reasons, three or four years ago.
And yet... here I am. And here you are.
Were not in the same boat you and I, You imply that you condone this, I don't.
Drakona implies nothing of the sort. What Drakona implies is that all of the long time posters here have transcended the game and post here for the intellectual stimulation. Your newness here and youthful zeal for the game is laudable and commendable, but don't let the blinders block your understanding of what this board is about lest insouciance colors your comprehension.
The mods do their jobs as shown by the lack of one club marcus. It would behoove you Bet to refrain from implying a lot of good posters are beneath you.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Bettina, this is the "Ethics and Commentary" forum. Just a friendly reminder. Have a nice day! :)
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

bet51987 wrote:There are a few really good people here, but their being overun by the degenerates and the moderators do nothing to stop it. I don't mind this not being a Descent board anymore. Its fun to talk about other events. But the language, inuendos, and insulting other people because of there skin color makes this board the worst of all the BB's.
this place is TAME... you don't know what you are typing about.
bet51987 wrote:Maybe I'm not grown up yet, or maybe I am, but don't bother jumping all over me for telling the truth, I'm going.

Bettina
that'd be the 4th time you've left? i'm in tears.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Bettina, I think you misunderstand the point of the thread, and you misunderstand what roid is doing.

His point is wrong, but he's not being malicious. He's just clueless. If he was being malicious, he'd be banned right now with no chance of ever coming back -- but he's not.
roid wrote:as soon as you leave your own country, you leave behind everything, and you have to open yourself to the possability that ppl you meet will have no idea of the cultural stigmata you put on things
I can buy the idea that it's OK when they don't understand. But once you've explained it, it's no longer OK.

When you leave your own country, you have to be open to the possibility that people will have different cultural innuendos and stigmas and such. But when those people interact with you the immigrant, they also have to be open to the possibility that you'll have sensibilities they don't understand. You have to recognize that maybe they'll call you a "nigga" and won't have the slightest clue what it means, so you shouldn't be offended the first time you hear it... but they also have to respond when you say "hey man, that word is offensive in my country." If they persist in calling you a derogatory term after you've explained that it's derogatory, that's not cool.

There's no such thing as "leaving your cultural stigma behind" -- as long as that stigma is a part of you, you can't leave it behind. And it's completely disrespectful of anyone else to say "no, you're not allowed to have that part of you. I'm going to ignore it." Roid, it's completely disrespectful of you to say "I don't care if the word ★■◆● offends you, I'm going to use it anyway because it's not offensive in my culture."

When you interact with someone from another culture, no matter whose country you happen to be in, you both have to respect the other person's culture, and that includes taboos and insults. You have to understand that person might not understand your culture's taboos, and be willing to explain them, but once they're explained, expect respect.

To put it bluntly: roid, "★■◆●" is an offensive word in this culture, so as long as you're interacting with anyone from this culture (no matter whose country you're in at the time) don't use the word, out of respect for the person you're interacting with. You might think they're being irrational, and maybe they are -- but you should still try not to offend them.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

TheCops wrote:that'd be the 4th time you've left? i'm in tears.
Review all my posts. I never said I was leaving here for good. I said I would lurk more and post less which is exactly what I've been doing.

Anyway...I can see by the replys that my thinking was wrong and I apologize to everyone for my comments.
No hard feelings I hope and Cya again soon.

Bettina :wink:
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

bet51987 wrote:Anyway...I can see by the replys that my thinking was wrong and I apologize to everyone for my comments.
No hard feelings I hope and Cya again soon.
i've only met a few people on this board. until i meet you, you are internet folk, hard feelings really arenâ??t possible.

i don't know if your thinking was "wrong", but i think you may have been responding emotionally to a racial slur. it's natural... but if people continue to freak out when slurs are used within context (even misguided) and not used to induce violence, dialogue about an important topic like race relations will never be addressed in a real way. it will be a bunch of happy talk and will never get down to nuts and bolts.

i actually thought roids second post was much easier to understand... but it was all theory because there are people on this earth that would rock the ★■◆● out all over him with their fists if he shot off like that in public.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

TheCops wrote:if people continue to freak out when slurs are used within context (even misguided) and not used to induce violence, dialogue about an important topic like race relations will never be addressed in a real way. it will be a bunch of happy talk...
Exactly... same with people freaking out when someone suggests there might *gasp* be intrinsic differences between men and women, or whatever. There can't be meaningful, real dialogue as long as people reflexively take offense.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Wow roid...great way to alienate yourself even more on this board. Way to go! :roll:
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

i don't think roid fried himself totally. i'd like to see him explain his way out with an american black man. but it's just kinda sad. korrupt had a nice site www.racismonline.com that i thought had a lot of pontential... i'm sure he had plenty of trolls.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Why has he alienated himself? I think he's made quite an interesting comment. And we ain't in the Cafe.

Does intrisic bigotry and taboo have a visa?

In some countries, showing certain "innocent" parts of the body is highly disrespectful. Speaking out of turn, eating in a ordered way. If these "traditions" are not adhered to, they can cause a great offense to the host. Likewise (as Lothar pointed out) when abroad the guest has to point out the things which would offend him also. Including the language of bigotry. It's the old globalisation thing. It's when, "never the twain shall meet" that we start to have problems.

Roidi chose one of the most inflammatory words in the english language to make his point, and chose to make his point in a typical Roidibabes way. Somtimes i can't understand a bloody word Drakona is talking about untill i read what she says a few times. Deal with the issue not the way it's put across.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Kur's site is still there...
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

DCrazy wrote:Kur's site is still there...
Yea, it's still around, even has it's own domain http://www.racismonline.com but I've actually pondered over whether I should take it down. I rarely even post there now that I don't have much of an interest in discussing racism since it tends to turn into a finger pointing contest.

As far as the term, the black guy was referring to the term "nigga", not "★■◆●". HUUUUUUGE Difference. Even another black using the latter to greet a black is completely unnacceptable and would quite quickly turn into a confrontation between the two. As far as the first term, it's mainly used by blacks who have a degenerative or thuggish (or trying to be) nature. Educated and sensible Blacks like myself actually see it as derogatory even when used to greet us by other blacks.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

TheCops wrote:people of what ever "oppressed" group often use certain words while addressing each other to either identify with each other or remove the power of the word. like i call some of my friends "white trash" or "trailer whores".
Admiral Thrawn wrote:As far as the term, the black guy was referring to the term "nigga", not "★■◆●". HUUUUUUGE Difference. Even another black using the latter to greet a black is completely unnacceptable and would quite quickly turn into a confrontation between the two. As far as the first term, it's mainly used by blacks who have a degenerative or thuggish (or trying to be) nature. Educated and sensible Blacks like myself actually see it as derogatory even when used to greet us by other blacks.
maybe, it's a class issue? or maybe the old joke is no longer funny.

or maybe, we are stealing a technique that is "old hat" for black americans and marketing it into a profitable jab session for early 30 aged white folks? wouldn't surprise me... i can play a hella chicken scratch on guitar, but somehow iâ??m not a black man.

well.
either way racism never ends, in every place on this world. i commend your board... i've read some cool ★■◆● on there.

p.s. sell that domain name on ebay and make some money.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I've been called an 'albino nigga' before. it was rather.... interesting.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Fern: you shoulda gone with it and claimed you had vitiglio. ;)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

bet51987, as lothar says, you have overreacted emotionally and taken this thread completely the wrong way. i knew this subject would be hard for many to get their minds around - since to understand it you will have to step outside of your own culture. so i expected other foreigners to understand moreso, i'm glad you see where i'm getting at flabby. (and thx woody too)

one point i need to repeat, since some are still misunderstanding:
if i came to america, i would not be calling black ppl niggers/niggas. I would be the alien, and i'd be respecting the culture i enter into (and frankly at first glance you wouldn't know me from an american anyway. getting mistaken for a racist southern hick biggot is the LAST thing i want). so i'm clear then? i have the utmost respect for the culture i'm a guest in, i don't want to offend anyone on my stay.
i'd expect people to ask me if i own a kangaroo, or have wrestled crocs. and i'd laugh at their jokes about me and whatnot, much like mobi would laugh at your sheep ★■◆●ing jokes. we understand how various countrys view eachother, so the sterotypes are funny to play with and we kindof expect it if we are visiting another country.

so i'm clear then? i have the utmost respect for the culture i'm a guest in, i don't want to offend anyone on my stay.

it would be always in my mind the taboos and whatnot of america when walking around there. however, while traveling around USA if someone ELSE brought the subject up to me (a native, like one of you guys), i'd love to talk about it. but i'd still feel kindof uncomfortable since i'd never be entirely sure that the subject was safe. i know what you guys are like with this, many replys so far to this thread are evidence of how UNSAFE this subject is to talk about. so maybe i'd talk about it with a fellow traveller, or some openminded native (if he brought it up, or i approached the subject very carefully).

HOWEVER

what i've been talking about in previous posts is not along this line, what i've been talking about in those posts is not "how you guys should talk in your own country". instead what i've been talking about in those posts is how other cultures may expect you, and even actively prompt you, to let down your hair while you are out and about in THEIR countrys.

more than this, what i think is the most difficult for many here to grasp is the notion that outside of the USA, your whole world is turned on it's ear. the cultural taboos that mattered back home don't matter out here. don't you guys ever wish you could just leave it all behind?

here's an example, tell me what you feel of it:

an american black guy is walking along the street amongst american white guys in USA, how does he feel.

an american black guy is walking along the street amongst white guys in Finland, how does he feel.

in Finland he's just another tourist, his skin colour doesn't mean much. people will look at him and think "foriegner". they don't think whatever american white guys think - good or bad, "black guy".

the stigma is completely different outside of america. you're just another foreigner. all of the slavery history stuff, you must get used to EVERYONE knowing all about it in america, and i imagine it's hard to let go of when you move out of your country. perhaps you'll get used to getting treated a certain way by white guys, by the culture, so you'll just make a mental note: "white guys, don't let them say this or that to you. this is unacceptable since all white guys i see are american and therefore are culturally linked to my plight".

so for some it may be hard to leave the country and start thinking differently, that "white guys out here ARN'T american, wtf".
it brings me back to a point i made in an earlier post about a black australian meeting a black american. if you have left the cultural baggage at home you should see this guy as just another australian - but i just KNOW his skin colour is gonna throw you, and there's going to be images flashing through your mind of "black-community" from back home. kindof like that weird situation when you meet a fellow traveler from your own home country while you are out traveling.

i must see a different definition of travel. i didn't think of this difference before, but now that i think of it it would make sense - for people to travel for inherently different reasons.

travel for me and those i'm close to is adventure. it's meeting and greeting the world, having fun, expanding horisons, keeping my eyes open to new ideologies and ways to change myself.
people that i entertain are generally happy to have a laugh, actually they seem to come here to expect it. laughing at yourself is one of the best ways to grow as a person, and travel is also treated as a growth process.
the last thing i want is to travel somewhere and get treated with kid gloves. i see stepping around race as "kid gloves". i don't NORMALLY have to step around race here, so that's special treatment. pampering.

oh don't get me wrong, i'd do it, i'd pamper you and tread around subjects that are considered normal here. but it'd be disappointed with you, since you didn't leave behind your precious cultural crutches.

i wouldn't respect you as a traveler. traveler, not in the sense of moving physically.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Pebkac wrote:
Punisher wrote:Why not flip the coin and make an attempt to be sensitive to all cultures of the world,
Heh, because he already stated quite clearly that respecting other cultures would be "putting me somehow into your cultural picture, which I TAKE OFFENSE TO."
in that quote (in original context), what i was taking offense to is the notion that i have anything to do with stigmatisation of blacks in america, just coz i'm white.
i have nothing to do with it, i'm white, but i'm not american.
i'm not on the level of a fellow black american, in terms of my right to discuss the subject. but damnit, i should at least be considered impartial.
itchy trigger fingers are labeling me a racist before considering labeling me an impartial outsider.

come on neo, free your mind.
roid wrote:you know nothing of philosophy.
LOL! You've moved into klubmarcus levels of stupdity with this thread, but please Mr. Socrates, have another dozen beers and educate us. :roll:
various forms of intoxication have always been associated with philosophers.
alcohol and philosophy go hand in hand. i don't really want to explain to you why, since i feel you should already know. i like to talk to friends about deep subjects, and wine is normally on the table, the 2 go hand in hand. can't you understand that? wine and afterdinner conversation. ★■◆● mate, i'll have to write out a researched essay for you explaining this, how trite.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

"you're typing loud but you ain't sayin' nothin'."

it's as if you used the slur "★■◆●" to encourage people to travel... wtf are you talking about? i mean i kinda get it... if you take some kid from the projects in chicago and put him in new zealand, put him at a cafe having a conversation with the queen of england all the baggage of either persons culture will be trumped by the situation. Wow.

at this point you are theorizing... the internet is not traveling.

<---- check the avatar clownshoes.

;-0
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

using the word "★■◆●" to encourage people to travel? heh no, i don't think that's what i'm trying to saying. ("wtf are you talking about" indeed)

of course i'm theorising. theorising is good. that's all we do here, this is a forum. all we do is type and discuss and explain. you do it differently at SA forums?

the internet is not traveling no, not in the theme of my last post (where i was talking about actual travel).
as an american you can expose yourself to a lot of foriegners on the net though. but hey, if you're not interested, you're not interested. i expected more non-american input into this thread - but i'm not even sure how many non-americans are left here.

and yes they are lovely clownshoes :)
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

roid wrote: of course i'm theorising. theorising is good. that's all we do here, this is a forum. all we do is type and discuss and explain. you do it differently at SA forums?
the dbb beats out the SA forums because i can't really relate to people in college dorms typing about their first failed relationship... sorry. some of the political discussions are really good though, and not filled with gang banging, it's loose and goes somewhere. around here the circle jerk gang pretends they are actually in combat, which i find insulting.

theorizing is good until you have to deal with human beings in REAL situations. most people don't give a ★■◆● about internet forums, in fact i don't give a ★■◆● about internet forums... i just troll them when i'm lonely or bored.

in your first post you said the slur "★■◆●" was "funny". it ain't. it's really a cowards word to drag up a terrible time and paste it on someone who is of african descent. i'm of polish and german descent... i guess i'm half nazi and half stupid, right?

your thread had a possibility at making some senseâ?¦ but you didnâ??t carry it out.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Cops, you could DEFINITELY provide some good material for the Forums Goldmines...
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

You're entering the realms of hypocrisy here Roid. You claim that person x should take no offense to your addressing them in a derogatory manner, since you don't find it derogatory, then go on to blame this phenominon on person x's insensitivity to culture. Global culture or otherwise, you're the one ignoring it.

My friends at school and I throw the terms "liberal" and "conservative" around as mock insults, as the larger part of our conversation is political debate over which we have a variety of standpoints. If another were to enter our conversation and we discovered that they took honest offense to these terms, though it would seem ludicrous to us, we would stop using them around that person. Why? Communication is not something you do to someone, it's something you do WITH someone. If they're not playing by the same rules, you have to adapt or communication can't happen.

Honestly, you've taken this too far. It's one thing to say a clinging to a hundred-year-old steriotype as a means of making judgements without other evidence is silly. It's another to say a person taking offense to your use of language is the one at fault, especially since (and I know this for a fact now, having read this thread) you are not ignorant of the fact that person is taking offense.

Get some respect for people. Wave your flag about not being controlled by the masses if you must, but you need to learn the value of a life.
Pebkac
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pebkac »

roid wrote:in that quote (in original context), what i was taking offense to is the notion that i have anything to do with stigmatisation of blacks in america, just coz i'm white.

itchy trigger fingers are labeling me a racist before considering labeling me an impartial outsider.
The context as I read it seems to indicate that respecting the beliefs of another culture offends you, specifically, American culture. Nevermind that there is no real-life situation in any culture in which that word would ever be appropriate, your inability to throw it around as you please seems to trouble you. I don't find that to be racism so much as mind-boggling ignorance.

As evidenced by this thread, the mere use of the word has spun whatever hops-and-barly brilliance you were trying to impart straight into the sh!tter, but then you knew that's what would happen.
roid wrote:various forms of intoxication have always been associated with philosophers.
alcohol and philosophy go hand in hand. i don't really want to explain to you why, since i feel you should already know. i like to talk to friends about deep subjects, and wine is normally on the table, the 2 go hand in hand. can't you understand that? wine and afterdinner conversation. **** mate, i'll have to write out a researched essay for you explaining this, how trite.
When I think of great philosophers, the one word primarily in my mind is wisdom.

I do understand why intoxication breeds "deep" conversations, and whatever a group of aussies discuss at the bar is all well and good. I certainly do not see the need to be enlightened on the topic by the likes of you. It's just that, you knew what the word means here and how it might be taken by some on this board ...
roid wrote:omg i said niggers
... yet you went ahead and made use of it repeatedly. Your reply to Will Robinson lead me to believe that you felt there was even one scintilla of ANYTHING resembling wisdom in your thoughts on this subject. I found that to be ridiculous, so I made reference to the hilarity of you comparing your tripe with deep philosophical thought. I apologize for misinterpreting that part of your post.

Furthermore, your reaction to the girl over IM was perplexing as well. You asked her about her reaction to the N word and she told you. Rather than simply refraining from using that word around her again, you derided her as narrow-minded. In any culture, there are cool people and there are a$$holes. Step outside yourself for a moment, look at your actions, look at what you've written, and tell me which category you would put yourself into.