Incredible Flash

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Incredible Flash

Post by Nitrofox125 »

These two sites.... sometimes I use them for graphics inspiration

www.2advanced.com

www.xeofreestyle.com
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Here is one that I found very interesting.

<a target="_blank" href="http://www.blitzds.com">www.blitzds.com</a>
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

OMFG. I really DO hope you only like these sites for graphic design - because as far as web sites go they suck testicles. These are prime examples of the worst abuses of Flash on the web. I'm submitting them to websitesthatsuck.com right now: look for them in the next day or so.

These sites are the epitome of designer masturbation gone too far.

Not only do they stink, but the simultaneously suck and blow at the same time! How is that possible??? Image

This is NOT what flash is designed for. Flash is designed to bring together IN A SEAMLESS AND TIMELY WAY, multiple types of media, in a logical way that is synergistic and intuitive. These sites do NONE of that.

If you want to see truly good flash - then go to http://www.becominghuman.org/ and click on the Documentary link: fantastic content, presented logically. No huge load times. beautiful use of media and audio. Non-sequential navigation. Intuitive controls. Huge content. Low bandwidth. Educational. Inspirational. Great sound. Deep information. Stunning design work. In short: it kicks ass.

Now, if only we could persuade idiots who want to wank all over the web what Flash is actually FOR, rather than what they CAN do with it. *sigh*
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Jesus Christ, Mobius. Get off your high horse and drop the "holier than thou" web designer attitude. These sites are meant to be graphics extravaganzas, because they promote GRAPHICS ARTISTS! They and their clients couldn't really care less about some paranoid Kiwi who whines if a site isn't visible in Lynx or Mozilla 1.2 with images and scripting disabled! Take a look at WA007's portfolio, and you'll see plenty of sites that aren't as extreme as their homepage.

The fact that all you can do is complain about Flash just proves that you are severely lacking in any artistic taste or talent. But that's to be expected from someone who describes his web development job as a per-pixel recreation of someone's PSD file. Image
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bold Deceiver »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
<b> OMFG.

*** snip histrionics ***

Now, if only we could persuade idiots who want to wank all over the web what Flash is actually FOR, rather than what they CAN do with it. *sigh*</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I'd kind of have to agree with the previous poster, Moby. It kind of depends on what one is trying to achieve with the medium, you know? Your definition of quality seems a bit rigid -- keyed to a more logic-oriented perception of quality. (See, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig -- great book for those interested in trying to define "that which is good"). Nothing wrong with that, but Quality isn't so narrowly defined.

By way of analogy, impressionism as an art form was quite poorly received when it first surfaced. But we wound up with some pretty neat stuff from artists like Monet and Van Gogh.

Here, of course, we have badgerbadger.com, but hey, ya gotta start somewhere (whoever posted that link, btw, has a great sense of humor). Image

BD
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I love abstract art, incorporating it into web design is awesome.
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

Diablo's site has always been pretty awesome in my mind.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Mobius, either contribute to the topic or STFU. Your holier than thou posts are getting really old.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Wow, where is that STFU Mobius picture?

If people always used things as they were intended, we wouldn't have art. Image
index_html
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by index_html »

I looked at the sites before reading Mobius' comments, and I sorta found myself thinking the same thing ... what terribly indulgent and impractical web design. They're gorgeous, sure, but after a couple minutes of aimless surfing, I shut them off because it started to annoy me how slow and overproduced they are. A+ for aesthetics ... D- for getting to the friggin' point and laying out info in an comprehensive manner (especially that Xeo one).
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

http://www.designmethod.com/

That's done by the same guy that did www.blingmethod.com. Pretty simple compared to some of the others posted here, but also easier to navigate.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

p++
Viralphrame
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Viralphrame »

<3 2advanced
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

/me laughs at mobius in real time...

Meaning...I know what I am talking about when i say:
Mobius doesnt :

Funny how you shoot down the industry leader in online flash content you bo bo head.. 2advanced is, and always has been on the very cutting edge of flash design. Which is of course why ford and every other fortune 500 company under the sun is dying to use them.

Which is why i thought it was weird that they made the GGL.
Which is also what let me know that the ggl wasnt messing around with what they wanted to do.

Eric Jordan (2advanced founder and kingpin) is without a doubt..The Micheal Jordon of flash. Mobius must be some big Jacob Neilson fan.

I hate mobius.

cheers.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

and oh..as long as im here..
http://www.neostream.com/

enjoy !
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Horizontal scroll should be a capitial offence.

With flash, there is no excuse.

someone needs to clue in xeofreestyle to check that they're links work.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Mobitroll© Strikes AGAIN!
and his STALE as year old bread Flash site http://www.becominghuman.org/
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by *JBOMB*:
<b> and oh..as long as im here..
http://www.neostream.com/

enjoy !</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, there it is! I remembered this site when I read the topic, but couldn't remember where it was. Image
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Why do I get the impression that you didn't click the link that I posted, Mobius?  HTML and HTML embedded Flash can be great for making easily navigable, well presented information sites, but sometimes there is merit in making a visit to one's webasite like an interactive commercial.  Flash could totally kick HTML's butt, given half the chance, because of its versatility and power; it depends entirely on the author.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Mobius,
you are an idiot.

On topic, I love abstract art and those flash sites are awesome.
D4Cougar
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by D4Cougar »

"Mobius, either contribute to the topic or STFU. Your holier than thou posts are getting really old."

Holy ****, just because his OPINION is different doesn't mean he's not contributing. I rather agree with him on this, the sites are very Gaudi. An overdose of the whizbang for sure, especially on the xeofreestyle site. I found that one rather lame.

"Enter a world where DESIGN meets REALITY, a world where DREAMS are the FOUNDATION of REALITY, a world where marketing drop-outs try to generate income using a half baked motif in a stupidly flashy webdomain."
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

Badger,Badger,Badger,Badger MUSHROOM MUSHROOM.

Fack its gonna take 3 days to get that stoopid song outta my head!

And Mob,

Take a Valium, Drink a beer,Smoke a bowl and DONT call me in the morning. Image
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

Holy WOW! 2advanced is one awesome site.