LCD Questions

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

LCD Questions

Post by JMEaT »

Well I decided to start a little project PC for mainly music. I'm working with the LCD screen now and I'm not too familiar with how they interface to a standard VGA plug on a video card. Here is the VGA standoff on the LCD display's board. I need to find an adapter to turn that into a standard VGA plug that would connect to the video card. Any takers? :|
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

I don't know what that is, but it's far from VGA. It's not even going to be analog. Probably LVDS or some variant... The only way to adapt VGA to that is with some very complex circuitry. Look online for specs on that LCD, maybe you can find a video card for it. It's hard to say. You're probably better off getting a small LCD unit which takes a composite or S-video video input (which anything with TV out can connect to), or whatever you can find that's analog. There are also SBCs and small form factor motherboards with LVDS outputs, but they're all pretty spendy :|
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Yeah I figured it was a waste of time, but I'm still new to destroying tinkering with LCD screens so I figured I'd ask someone who modded often. Google searches turned up a bunch of dead ends.

Ah well, I'll just buy an el cheapo small one and hang it on the wall.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Well I was digging around in my old closet over @ my mom's house (My other location for my Old Pile of Crap ©) and came across some spare parts and what do ya know, I got this little LCD running @ 800x600x32. Now it is picture frame time! :D

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Nice work man.

Thumbs up.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

ooo great mate! can you show us how it goes? coz this kindof stuff is real interesting hey.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Yeah you bet. I might get one of those big picture frames that have places for many different sized indivisual pictures and cut one of them the size of the LCD. Then have the screen saver cycle through the My Pictures folder. Dunno yet though, the frame has to be big enough to cram all of the electronics into.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Someone did something similar to this in a recent issue of Popular Science, I believe. The end result is pretty cool. :)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Top Gun wrote:Someone did something similar to this in a recent issue of Popular Science, I believe. The end result is pretty cool. :)
Oh yeah? I don't suppose you got linkage so I can copy admire his work?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Hmm, not quite what I had in mind. Thanks for the linky. :)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

Nice work man, I'm a supervisor at a small wood cnc shop and we also have a couple wood powder coat lines. Depending on the depth that would be needed for the electronics, I could probably make a frame from mdf and have it powdercoated to look real nice. I'd need some detailed pics and dimensions of course.Let me know if your interested.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

An 8 dollar frame, a few hours work and 300 zip ties later: Ghetto Completion. :)

I'm going to polish it off with some stain and some better feet besides screws when I have more time, but for now you get the general idea. Not bad even if it is a little ghetto. :lol:
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

heh not bad at all, nice work
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

I'm curious, how in the world did you hook up that strange connector to a video card? Can you explain that? Quite interesting. Good job!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Xamidar: He probably googled up the data sheets on the monitor and went from there.

J: Nice work man, I'm seriously impressed. Now all thats missing is a pair of fuzzy dice. ;)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Xamindar wrote:I'm curious, how in the world did you hook up that strange connector to a video card? Can you explain that? Quite interesting. Good job!
There is actually a controller board that the odd plug attaches to then it converts the signal to VGA. :)