Revenge is a Mother

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Revenge is a Mother

Post by null0010 »

I, for one, am not afraid of Palin. I was wary of her in 2008, but that is because she was partnered with one of the most recognizable household name Republicans in the country. This time, I do not think she is running, I do not think she can win the primary, and I do not think she could possibly stand up to Obama in a general election.

As I have said many times in many threads.
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

null0010 wrote:I, for one, am not afraid of Palin. I was wary of her in 2008, but that is because she was partnered with one of the most recognizable household name Republicans in the country. This time, I do not think she is running, I do not think she can win the primary, and I do not think she could possibly stand up to Obama in a general election.

As I have said many times in many threads.
YOU might not be. but it's painfully obvious that the DNC and many on the left are.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I think we can all agree that ALL politicians of late have been driving us straight into the ground.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote:What is entirely fascinating is the depth of scrutiny Palin is undergoing. Any other Rep. contenders getting their emails gone over by the ghetto dumpster divers from the DNC in a like manner? Anyone able to dive into Obama's emails from the last 10 years? Oh of course not as they'd be labeled as racists. The fear the left have of Palin has become palpable and painful to watch.
It's the fear of electing someone so unqualified, dogmatic and clueless that gets the press riled, plus the fact she can't answer a simple question, like "what newspapers do you read". Like a dog to meat, the press is fascinated with her because they just know she's going to spout something inanely stupid when put under pressure, if she lets them near her that is. Either that or they have the hots for her. If you want a woman president, find someone that looks good and at least has half an ounce of brains, not boobs. Men. :roll:

Actually, I'd like to read some of Obama's emails. I'm a snoop at times and he is a public figure, but since he's now pres., fat chance of that.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

tunnelcat wrote: Either that or they have the hots for her. If you want a woman president, find someone that looks good and at least has half an ounce of brains, not boobs. Men. :roll:
TC your attitudes towards attractive women and men in general I find HIGHLYoffensive and EXTREMELY sexist. please refrain from traveling down this path again, you just lower yourself every time you do
Definition of SEXISM
: prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially : discrimination against women
: behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex
mis·an·dry
   [mis-an-dree] Show IPA
–noun
hatred of males.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

tunnelcat wrote:...
It's the fear of electing someone so unqualified, dogmatic and clueless that gets the press riled,...
HaHaHa! The press is riled because of qualifications? HaHaHa!!
Like they were so riled up days before the election when they discussed the fact that no one had really bothered to look into Obama's thoughts on foreign policy as they helped him become the leader of the free world! (some of it at 28:40, you have to listen to the whole thing to hear all the references to what they don't know about him)
Absolutely no concern where there should be some and a great deal of shame too considering they are supposedly journalists!
Likewise they were so concerned about his dogmatism coming from the community agitator job and the anti-whiteman church.... HaHa!
You must mean they are concerned about the qualifications of Repubs....now that is believable based on reality.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

CUDA wrote:TC your attitudes towards attractive women and men in general I find HIGHLYoffensive and EXTREMELY sexist. please refrain from traveling down this path again, you just lower yourself every time you do
No, I'm not sexist, I'm a realist. I have nothing against good looking women, as long as they have a brain to match when they want to do important things in life, like run a company or a country. Nothing demeans women more than the dumb blonde, big lipped, sexpot stereotype that seems to attract males like flies to light. They do more to keep women from advancing in the world than anything else. I can also appreciate hunky six pack cute men, but I don't want them as a leader if they're rage filled morons that think from below the belt. They make good warriors, but poor leaders. The best leaders can balance their hormones and brains, both men and women. I married a smart nerd that doesn't look like an Adonis, but he looks good to me.

Men use their pants brain more than they like to admit. I'm not being demeaning, it's just the testosterone talking. What's wrong with that? It's not a detriment in the right circumstances. Women have their own issues with estrogen and brain inter-connectivity, which can give us huge, crazy emotional swings and brain fog. We can't change how we're built or the way it affects our behavior. How do you think stereotyping of the sexes began? By observation.

As for Palin, the testosterone brain muddle is the only reason I can find for the attraction that most males have towards this woman. She is obsessed with her image and status, as has come out in some of her emails, and has the intelligence of a mushroom. I have yet to find many women that either like or want Palin to run for President. She spouts dogmatic, feel-good nonsense that appeals like candy to the starving masses, but is in reality nothing but empty calories. What I dislike about her is that she is using that candy to attract gullible people with no other purpose than to look good and win at all costs. God help us if she does win.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

tunnelcat wrote:... She is obsessed with her image and status, as has come out in some of her emails,....
Can you quote that obsession for us? I've read some editorializing along those lines but the actual quotes don't seem to be unusual at all. I'm just wondering if you have found something or if you are just echoing the media spin...
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

tunnelcat wrote:
woodchip wrote:What is entirely fascinating is the depth of scrutiny Palin is undergoing. Any other Rep. contenders getting their emails gone over by the ghetto dumpster divers from the DNC in a like manner? Anyone able to dive into Obama's emails from the last 10 years? Oh of course not as they'd be labeled as racists. The fear the left have of Palin has become palpable and painful to watch.
It's the fear of electing someone so unqualified, dogmatic and clueless that gets the press riled, plus the fact she can't answer a simple question, like "what newspapers do you read". Like a dog to meat, the press is fascinated with her because they just know she's going to spout something inanely stupid when put under pressure, if she lets them near her that is.
So why does the press then...not go after Joe Biden? My God woman, Biden is a blithering idiot and a heartbeat away from the presidency !!! :wink:
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

If the quality of the emails sent to her are representative of the left, heaven help us:

"It said: "She doesn't belong to the NRA to support the right of each citizen to have weapons in an aim of self-defence, but just to support the right of every southern white citizen to shoot all non-white people legally! Sarah Palin MUST BE KILLED!"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

tunnelcat wrote:No, I'm not sexist, I'm a realist.
no your a sexist and every word you posted after this confirms if. and by your own admission you fit the definition
How do you think stereotyping of the sexes began
Sexist: behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

so back on topic
She spouts dogmatic, feel-good nonsense that appeals like candy to the starving masses, but is in reality nothing but empty calories. What I dislike about her is that she is using that candy to attract gullible people with no other purpose than to look good and win at all costs. God help us if she does win.
you mean like Obama did with all that hope and change? dogma that you swallowed hook line and sinker and chose to vote for? Are you one of those gullible people?

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

CUDA wrote:]YOU might not be. but it's painfully obvious that the DNC and many on the left are.
I've seen utterly no evidence of that. In fact, most Dem operatives would be downright gleeful to face her in a general election. You have evidence otherwise?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:So why does the press then...not go after Joe Biden? My God woman, Biden is a blithering idiot and a heartbeat away from the presidency !!! :wink:

because, despite Joe's tendency to blurt out whatever enters his mind, and make the verbal gaffe from time to time, he has a 40 year record of intelligence, competence and accomplishment that overwhelms the minor stuff. Palin doesn't bring that sort of gravitas. If you think Joe Biden is an idiot, you are a complete moron. Having known the man since 1971 or so, I can easily state that his intellect would run circles around yours, or most other folks in or out of Washington. He just behaves like a real person, and he can be blunt. Personally, I like that.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
woodchip wrote:So why does the press then...not go after Joe Biden? My God woman, Biden is a blithering idiot and a heartbeat away from the presidency !!! :wink:

because, despite Joe's tendency to blurt out whatever enters his mind, and make the verbal gaffe from time to time, he has a 40 year record of intelligence, competence and accomplishment that overwhelms the minor stuff. Palin doesn't bring that sort of gravitas. If you think Joe Biden is an idiot, you are a complete moron. Having known the man since 1971 or so, I can easily state that his intellect would run circles around yours, or most other folks in or out of Washington. He just behaves like a real person, and he can be blunt. Personally, I like that.
Funny, I didn't see much of that intellect when he debated Palin. Some comments in the after math:

"Instead, she seemed sure-footed and likeable, erasing many of the doubts that surrounded her and breathing at least a little hope to a fairly demoralised Republican camp.
Last week, Senator McCain probably lost his first debate against Senator Obama by not winning it.
On Thursday night Mrs Palin won her debate by not losing it"
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 871844.ece

"It turned out to be harder than that to score. Those words will sit unused. People watching for a car crash were disappointed. Palin did well, and so did Biden."
http://www.slate.com/id/2201336/

"Respondents said Palin —- who had to recover from some bumbling media interview performances —- was the more likable of the pair, scoring 54 per cent support, compared to Biden's 36 per cent."
http://www.cbc.ca/world/usvotes/story/2 ... polls.html

And this little snippet shows how, when able to see Palin in action, all the farcical stories by the left fell to the wayside:

"The Republican candidate also exceeded expectations, according to 84 per cent of the viewers who were surveyed."
http://www.cbc.ca/world/usvotes/story/2 ... polls.html

So by your impressions Slick, of Bidens vast intellectual superiority, he somehow only managed a tie with a complete moron. Please don't insult this board by saying Biden's intellect will run rings around most people. He may be a friend to you but don't let that cloud your mind as to his ability.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

callmeslick wrote:
CUDA wrote:]YOU might not be. but it's painfully obvious that the DNC and many on the left are.
I've seen utterly no evidence of that. In fact, most Dem operatives would be downright gleeful to face her in a general election. You have evidence otherwise?
well without going watergate and getting a DNC playbook you know that that's not possible,
But their actions speak for themselves, you only attack that which you are afraid of. if Palin was of no threat then why go on the offensive. and you cannot deny that they are on the offensive. she is CLEARLY one of the focal points of their attacks along with the addition of Romney. no other candidate is drawing the attention that these two get. it's made even more apparent by the fact the Palin isn't even an official Candidate. "yet"
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.
Sun Tzu
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.
Sun Tzu

― Theodore Roosevelt
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

The media focuses on Palin not out of fear, but out of love of money. Palin sells newspapers and increases viewership. People want to see her, either because they like her or they hate her.
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

null0010 wrote:The media focuses on Palin not out of fear, but out of love of money. Palin sells newspapers and increases viewership. People want to see her, either because they like her or they hate her.
This would be true except the papers most of the reporters work for are in bed with the democrats. The way the newsy's jumped on Palins PR comment shows they are looking for nothing more than some gaffe they can use to diminish her. Or have you read many reports in a positive light of Palin visiting the nations historical sites?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I think the character assassination speaks volumes.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

null0010 wrote:The media focuses on Palin not out of fear, but out of love of money. Palin sells newspapers and increases viewership. People want to see her, either because they like her or they hate her.
Considering the number of people who like her you would think the ratio of positive to negative stories would reflect that if you were correct about their interest being purely to profit from her drawing power. That clearly isn't the case however.
Can you find any stories/editorials fueled by the recent email release that take a positive slant on her comments? If you were correct it seems there would be a number of stories like that designed to profit from the papers pro-Palin customers.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

IMO, the smart ones wait until they HAVE to announce their candidacy. It allows others to take the heat and desensitize and exasperate.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

CUDA wrote:But their actions speak for themselves, you only attack that which you are afraid of.
Maybe they're not afraid of her personally, but instead of the drooling redneck idiots who would legitimately vote for her if she did decide to run. That's what scares me, anyway...I have little to no faith in the intelligence level of a significant portion of my countrymen.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Top Gun wrote:I have little to no faith in the intelligence level of a significant portion of my countrymen.
ya liberals scare the ★■◆● out of me too :mrgreen:

― Theodore Roosevelt
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I don't really care if people disagree with me politically, but I do care if they don't have the brains that God gave a slug yet vocally support candidates that would drive any sane man to drink. When people start holding signs saying things along the lines of, "Get your gub'mint hands off my Medicare," you can bet I'll raise a few eyebrows...hell, that goes equally for the "no blood for oil" crowd, too. This country is in a goofy sort of state where the majority of reasonable people fall somewhere into the moderate category, yet all of the truly-public discourse is of the moronic stark-raving loons on either side. My true fear is that said crowd of stark-raving loons on one particular side could grow numerous enough to manage to push some godawful candidates through to national office...hell, the fact that a woman like Christine O'Donnell managed to win a primary in Delaware is a very scary statement in and of itself. This is clearly not the crowd that paid attention during their government classes in high school.

And here's a fun fact: did you know that what we call "liberal" in this country would only really fall into the category of "center-right" on any sort of all-encompassing political scale? I know several Europeans who laugh their asses off at some of the cries of "pinko commie evil socialist liberals," as the Democratic Party doesn't come remotely close to any realization of those true ideals.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Top Gun wrote:And here's a fun fact: did you know that what we call "liberal" in this country would only really fall into the category of "center-right" on any sort of all-encompassing political scale? I know several Europeans who laugh their asses off at some of the cries of "pinko commie evil socialist liberals," as the Democratic Party doesn't come remotely close to any realization of those true ideals.
personally I don't care what Europe thinks about our politics. I mean look at them they are so wee rounded aren't they
:roll:
All politics is local.
Thomas P. O'Neill

― Theodore Roosevelt
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I think many European democracies are fairly well-rounded myself, primarily in that they're not slaves to a rigid two-party system and have some legitimate options for voters come election time. They also seem to have, or at least export, substantially less of the insufferable back-and-forth rabble that talking heads spew all over the place here.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

What system of government do those nations operate under though? It was my understanding it was more socialist than our system of government and maybe why they think our idea of socialism is way understated.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Lol, it’s always the “rednecks”…we have the northern equivalent to the redneck all over the place here in Philly.

They vote for people like Rangel, Weiner and Barney.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

I cant understand why anyone would aspire to a European style of government. hell they've been so successful starting 2 world wars and all with that type of leadership.

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:Lol, it’s always the “rednecks”…we have the northern equivalent to the redneck all over the place here in Philly.

They vote for people like Rangel, Weiner and Barney.

there's a diverse group of voters. Specifically, Frank's district is about as much like Rangel's as Manayunk is like the Badlands.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Thanks for that report on the obvious capm…

I’ll keep that in mind.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

flip wrote:What system of government do those nations operate under though? It was my understanding it was more socialist than our system of government and maybe why they think our idea of socialism is way understated.
Parliamentary democracies, for the most part. How "socialist" certain programs that these countries may institute is pretty much a completely separate matter from the actual system of government, and there's a great deal of variation between different countries. The Scandinavian countries, particularly Sweden, would fall much more towards the "socialist" side of things, whereas countries like Britain would be comparatively closer to us.
CUDA wrote:I cant understand why anyone would aspire to a European style of government. hell they've been so successful starting 2 world wars and all with that type of leadership.
...wow. Should I start going into everything that's wrong with that statement? Because it might take me a few hours.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Parliamentary democracies, for the most part.
Wouldn't their inclusion in the European Union change that definition somewhat?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

flip wrote:
Parliamentary democracies, for the most part.
Wouldn't their inclusion in the European Union change that definition somewhat?
I don't see how. The European Union does handle certain large-scale economic and policy aspects, but each member nation still has its own governmental system and handles their own affairs. Plus, there's variation within the member nations regarding how much direct involvement they actually have (the UK being a prime example, as they don't use the Euro).
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

The European Union (EU) is an economic and political union of 27 member states which are located primarily in Europe.[7] The EU traces its origins from the European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC) and the European Economic Community (EEC), formed by six countries in 1958. In the intervening years the EU has grown in size by the accession of new member states, and in power by the addition of policy areas to its remit. The Maastricht Treaty established the European Union under its current name in 1993.[8] The last amendment to the constitutional basis of the EU, the Treaty of Lisbon, came into force in 2009.
A political union is a type of state which is composed of or created out of smaller states. Unlike a personal union, the individual states share a common government and the union is recognized internationally as a single political entity.
No, this changed things considerably whether it was called what it was or not.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

...am I allowed to call for a moratorium on vaguely on-topic direct quotes from Wiki, dictionaries, or what have you? It makes reading through a discussion start to get really obnoxious. :P

And what does that quote have anything to do with what we're talking about? Most European countries have parliamentary democracies of some kind as their individual systems of government. While the European Union is both an economic and political organization, it doesn't directly supersede its member nations on every single political matter: the United States still has diplomatic relations with each member nation individually, which wouldn't be the case if the European Union was like the US itself or the Russian Federation in terms of structure.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Well, I think your getting a little jumpy since that was the first time ;) and got my point across without much effort :p but you can moratorium all you want. I think you fail to see the big picture and that makes progress difficult. 20 years ago the idea of globalization was met with resounding disdain :)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

...honestly, I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make at the moment. :P Like, what does any of what you're saying have to do with what type of government particular countries have?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

tunnelcat wrote:

No, I'm not sexist, I'm a realist. I have nothing against good looking women, as long as they have a brain to match when they want to do important things in life, like run a company or a country. Nothing demeans women more than the dumb blonde, big lipped, sexpot stereotype that seems to attract males like flies to light. They do more to keep women from advancing in the world than anything else. I can also appreciate hunky six pack cute men, but I don't want them as a leader if they're rage filled morons that think from below the belt. They make good warriors, but poor leaders. The best leaders can balance their hormones and brains, both men and women. I married a smart nerd that doesn't look like an Adonis, but he looks good to me.

Men use their pants brain more than they like to admit. I'm not being demeaning, it's just the testosterone talking. What's wrong with that? It's not a detriment in the right circumstances. Women have their own issues with estrogen and brain inter-connectivity, which can give us huge, crazy emotional swings and brain fog. We can't change how we're built or the way it affects our behavior. How do you think stereotyping of the sexes began? By observation.

As for Palin, the testosterone brain muddle is the only reason I can find for the attraction that most males have towards this woman. She is obsessed with her image and status, as has come out in some of her emails, and has the intelligence of a mushroom. I have yet to find many women that either like or want Palin to run for President. She spouts dogmatic, feel-good nonsense that appeals like candy to the starving masses, but is in reality nothing but empty calories. What I dislike about her is that she is using that candy to attract gullible people with no other purpose than to look good and win at all costs. God help us if she does win.
Well, after the giddy masses of puerile smut seekers descended on the email cache, they found:

"The trove of more than 13,000 emails detailing almost every aspect of Sarah Palin’s governorship of Alaska, released late on Friday, paints a picture of her as an idealistic, conscientious, humorous and humane woman slightly bemused by the world of politics."

So once again Palin wins and the press loses. I wonder what we'd get if we read all of Obama's emails while he was a senator or better yet while he was a community organizer? I guess a joint tok'n, coke head is a good person to have leading our country. Yeah I know, Bush did it and Clinton did it. At least so far it seems Palin hasn't used drugs so it might be refreshing to have a president that can be a role model for the kids today.

As for Palins good looks I see that as as assets when she deals with all those male testosterone brain muddled foreign heads of state. See TC, one just needs to know how to spin in a positive direction. :wink:
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Top Gun Said:
And here's a fun fact: did you know that what we call "liberal" in this country would only really fall into the category of "center-right" on any sort of all-encompassing political scale? I know several Europeans who laugh their asses off at some of the cries of "pinko commie evil socialist liberals," as the Democratic Party doesn't come remotely close to any realization of those true ideals.
Flip Said:
What system of government do those nations operate under though? It was my understanding it was more socialist than our system of government and maybe why they think our idea of socialism is way understated.
This is how it started but like I said before, your quite jumpy. You trying to compare our system to be so much less evolved than the Europeans, while at the same time they are telling "they have no idea what real socialism is" :roll: You have no idea how the world works yet and when that's pointed at a little, you skirt and jump to the next without addressing the former, then just one page later you seem to be totally lost as to how we got there.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

If you guys want to discuss political systems, kindly split off into a separate thread.