High Octane software developing a decent-like game?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Descent 2 started to grate on me too. In fact I didn't even finish it.[/quote]

I'm not entirely certain I did either. I did, however, get through Descent Maximum. Despite the pitiful framerate, those levels were actually rather fun because they were so quick. The largest level in that game would be a midsized level in the PC edition.
BUBBALOU wrote:I suggest player vote for level changes and player kicks.... which is becoming a standard in mutiplayer games.
UT2004 has level changing enabled (by default?) on almost every server. It's a great way to reduce the tedium of having the same map run repeatedly and gives players exposure to a lot of maps they might not otherwise download or play. UT, after all, has always had a comprehensive auto-download ability to fetch custom content on-the-fly. Rarely do players continuously vote for the same map at the end of every game. That's a strictly Descent phenomenon. :P

I can just envision how an auto-kick system would be horribly abused.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Avder wrote:Only if they give me my spreadfire.

the D1 r0x0r kind, not the D2 Neutered kind.
Can somebody fill me in about D1 Spreadfire? How did it rock in D1? What happened to it in D2â??was it weaker/slower?

I think voting for levels would be cool. I think it would be a good idea to get away from that 'mission' structure for levels. I noticed in the D3 demo that d3l files were used, and then when D3 came out, they used mn3 files. Maybe it could be more like other games where the server op can put together a list of levels that are going to be hosted, like in Red Faction or something, instead of being stuck with the levels that are packaged in a 'mission.'
Killanthype
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Killanthype »

I see the difference in storylines--and the subsequent hatred/loving of each as this:

In Freespace, and to some extent the first two Descents, the story is driven by the missions. What you see, feel, and do in game--while fighting for your life--is what drives it. All of the events happen then and there, and you're stuck trying to watch them all while in the middle of a dogfight. Then, afterward, they tell you the significance of it in the (de)briefings.

In D3, it's the reverse. The story happens in the briefings, and then you kinda find out about it in game, meandering through at an unhurried pace. (Why rush? All of the important story events have already been told to you.)
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Clan support should be built-in, IMHO.
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

d2 spreadfire is slower than d1 spreadfire. I think they did it that way to make the new d2 gun or in someways the upgrade of the spreadfire "Helix cannon" look more powerful.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Capm wrote:Clan support should be built-in, IMHO.
I'll go for that. What exactly comprises Clan support though?
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Vlider wrote:d2 spreadfire is slower than d1 spreadfire. I think they did it that way to make the new d2 gun or in someways the upgrade of the spreadfire "Helix cannon" look more powerful.
Yeah, I hate to say it, but maybe they should have come up with better weapon ideas instead.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I vote the Phoenix cannon as one of the most useless guns in Descent history, right after the EMD cannon. Just because you can make something bounce doesn't mean you should do it.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

are we beta testing yet?

if not, I'll check back later
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

phoenix cannon was badass. you could just rape someone with it.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

if they didnt know how to trichord, yes.
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

phoenix was fun, it's just that nobody used it. Some of nirv's levels put it to good use tho.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

...mmmm... smart bombs set behind closed doors...mmmmmm
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Yeah, I miss smart mines. And since prox mines were buggy in D3 we couldn't even have those. :(
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

LOL.....ok..first off..someone said "HighOctane" is doing a new d3...

Thats what i heard anyway.. Did anyone else pop open the broswer and type in www.highoctanesoftware.com but not think to add the "software" part?

I did...interesting indeed..Hope their game fans dont get that one mixed up like i did...I dont think that site is about a new descent like game, though it could be..

So...i see the error of my ways and actually get to highoctanesofware.com and im like .....wow...highoctanesoftare is running very LOWoctane graphic/web skills.

Does highoctane think for a second that anyone believes they can make a cool video game if they cant even make a somewhat decent temporary home page? I certainly dont.

Who looked at that and went..."Ya..lets roll this...thats ready to go..good logo..looks tight.."

I know its under construction but if thats any indication of the construction thats goin on behind the scenes then wow...Have fun with that..
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

DCrazy wrote:I vote the Phoenix cannon as one of the most useless guns in Descent history
The premise, though, is not unlike Unreal's Flak Cannon, which is a favorite weapon for many. What drags the Phoenix down is its high rate of energy consumption, high rate of fire (spray and pray), and the fact that not too many Descent levels are built with 45º slants and banking in mind. The Flak Cannon, in my opinion, is one of the most fun weapons in Unreal because you can play with trajectories.
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

Seems like a little while since the High Octane guys posted here. When exactly is their website supposed to be up? :?
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Like 24 days ago or something like that...

Oh, and smartmines rocked! If you set them off while going backwards, you'd trip them and presto, instant rapid deploy smart-missle-esk blobs coming at the guy chasing you.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

A note to High Octane Software:
This is your brain

This is your brain on JBOMB:
Clean
Dirty

[edited] to be more nice cause everyones all sensitive and cry babys :) [/edited]

"Fake it till you make it"
-JBOMB
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

lol
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

That second one's pretty sweet.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Website

Post by zbriggs »

*JBOMB* wrote:LOL.....ok..first off..someone said "HighOctane" is doing a new d3...

Thats what i heard anyway.. Did anyone else pop open the broswer and type in www.highoctanesoftware.com but not think to add the "software" part?

I did...interesting indeed..Hope their game fans dont get that one mixed up like i did...I dont think that site is about a new descent like game, though it could be..

So...i see the error of my ways and actually get to highoctanesofware.com and im like .....wow...highoctanesoftare is running very LOWoctane graphic/web skills.

Does highoctane think for a second that anyone believes they can make a cool video game if they cant even make a somewhat decent temporary home page? I certainly dont.

Who looked at that and went..."Ya..lets roll this...thats ready to go..good logo..looks tight.."

I know its under construction but if thats any indication of the construction thats goin on behind the scenes then wow...Have fun with that..
We apologize for the website being in distress but unfortunately we suffered a death in our company, a very close friend of ours that was like a father to me. For that reason I have being taking care of that instead of posting or answering email, please forgive my absence from the board. Second, the day after the site was taken down for revamping our web developer's mother had a stroke. If it bothers you that much design one for me and I will let you post it.

I suppose I could have purchased HighOctane.com four years ago when it was up for sale with a price tag of about $250,000.00. Of course then I would have to pass the cost of that overpriced domain name to all of our clients.

People are more than welcome to be skepical all they want but keep the personal attacks to a minimum unless you know the reasons behind each thing. I would rather have my developers focusing on the game than a website.

I realize that you have been burned by others and don't have a great deal of faith in the people at this point. I'm not gonna try to tell you that we aren't going to let you down or somehow leave you behind. I'm not asking for your approval or your trust. If you don't feel that this is worthy of your attention please obstain from being negative to those on the forums that dare speak their mind. If they want to have hope for this, let them.

Sincerely,
Zachary Briggs, Executive Producer
HighOctane Software
(269)506-3116 feel free 24/7
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Thank you zbriggs. :)
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Thank You.

Post by zbriggs »

DCrazy wrote:Thank you zbriggs. :)
Actually I would like to thank everyone here for your undying support and love for the game. I was just recently at D3Chicago and got to meet some of you. Thank you for the warm welcome and the time you took to assist us in our quest to create this game. I'm looking forward to running face to face with you online and feel free to email us with any questions, suggestions, or otherwise at development@highoctanesoftware.com

Sincerely,
HighOctane Software
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I'm just glad I'll have an opportunity to fly again. take your time ZB (and HighOctaneSOFTWARE)! I'm a very patient superhero.

I'm sure glad I didnt get rid of my 5 brand new (still in the box) 3dpros!

I havent found anything worth playing since D3 (Rise of Nations is fun, but it isnt Descent :) )

RM
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

Bah....Real life pains sure can take the wind out of a good rants sails. :(

Im sorry about you and your friends loss.

Yes i hate bad design..had i not been a member of these boards i wouldnt look at your web page and go "this sucks i wonder if there is an apology somewhere." I would simply think.."This company doesnt know what its doing"..Fist impressions are important on the web.

Perhaps you didnt see my later post where i actually did design something with "ownage" in mind.

Im not really all that hot under the collar.. If you like what i made you are more then welcome to use it. After all, what good is a high octane logo gonna do me:)

Anyway its there. Feel free to rock it. Im not as sceptical as you may think. Most of the time awesome programmers cant design for shiiii and visaversa.... Wrong side of the brain, it comes with territory.

And if there is a new D coming..I'll be happy to help out with the site. Cause im down like that.

Anyway... Peace!
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

ReadyMan wrote:I'm just glad I'll have an opportunity to fly again. take your time ZB (and HighOctaneSOFTWARE)! I'm a very patient superhero.

I'm sure glad I didnt get rid of my 5 brand new (still in the box) 3dpros!

I havent found anything worth playing since D3 (Rise of Nations is fun, but it isnt Descent :) )

RM

Exactly.

oh yeah , Sell me some of those damn 3dpros ! those things are rare like lightsabers if they existed heh!
ZeroPhnx
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re: Website

Post by ZeroPhnx »

zbriggs wrote:
*JBOMB* wrote:LOL.....ok..first off..someone said "HighOctane" is doing a new d3...

We apologize for the website being in distress but unfortunately we suffered a death in our company, a very close friend of ours that was like a father to me. For that reason I have being taking care of that instead of posting or answering email, please forgive my absence from the board. Second, the day after the site was taken down for revamping our web developer's mother had a stroke. If it bothers you that much design one for me and I will let you post it.

I suppose I could have purchased HighOctane.com four years ago when it was up for sale with a price tag of about $250,000.00. Of course then I would have to pass the cost of that overpriced domain name to all of our clients.

People are more than welcome to be skepical all they want but keep the personal attacks to a minimum unless you know the reasons behind each thing. I would rather have my developers focusing on the game than a website.

I realize that you have been burned by others and don't have a great deal of faith in the people at this point. I'm not gonna try to tell you that we aren't going to let you down or somehow leave you behind. I'm not asking for your approval or your trust. If you don't feel that this is worthy of your attention please obstain from being negative to those on the forums that dare speak their mind. If they want to have hope for this, let them.

Sincerely,
HighOctane Software
(269)506-3116 feel free 24/7
Sorry for your loss, if you can design a great game take your time...than we can all fly again like readyman :D
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Geez, some of you guys are (_o_)s. Give these guys a break. Seems you expect them to have this game out within 4-5 months and be perfect.

So what if their web site isn't up yet. They are working on the game, taking care of life and hiring a full time web guru is expensive (to say the least).

If you want to do the site, volunteer your time.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

I think JB already did Merlin.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

Ya know what...im down to volunteer my time...i always am for D3.. That wasnt the point of my post.

My point was if i was Joe User... Which i was...not knowing anything about the all the great love getting thrown around by the d3 community to those who will "help" us. I would look at the site..Just as i did...And say to myself..These guys wont be able to pull it off...I know this because i have seen the site. And if they cant pull off a temp home page...I cant expect them to pull off a cool game..

And ya know what...i stand by that. And i still think they need to kick it up a notch. And ya know what else, the "life" excuse doesnt mean much to a guy who doesnt know whats going on behind the scenes..So he takes it at face...We are all living "life". And on the face it doesnt look at all serious.

So now i find out that the gang over at HighOctane is more serious than i first thought, going to chi-lan and whatnot...THATS GREAT... i would love to play a new d3 style game..And would even give them my money. Which in the end is what they want.

Maybe i shoulda been a good deal softer. "Hey i noticed you guys need some web work, would you like me to have a go at a logo or sumthin?"

I wish i was more like that. But im not..Im more like.. "Wow that sucks" When i see something that totally sucks :) But what can you do.

At any rate dont everyone skip over my post where i actually came up with 2 designs for the high octane temp home page. They are free to replace what they have with what i made if they like.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Logo

Post by zbriggs »

We can take criticism, any creative team worth their salt has learned that it is a required evil that keeps them centered. I am well aware that the temp logo and site sucks but what can you do. I would rather the gentlemen that was in charge of that spend his time with his mother while she is still alive. Personal attacks however are out of bounds and I think everyone here can agree with me.

We have been open to contributions to the product since day one. I'm honestly not worried about Joe Public at the present time because the only group it has been announced to is the Descent community. It really won't matter because the handful of people that get turned off from the site will come back when they see the screen shot and here about it constantly.

Pick which logo you like and I will through it up there for you.

Anyone can feel free to design a site for us if it bothers you. I am a patient person and have a greater vision to worry about at the moment. I do not consider that site as part of the game. This site is technically part of the game http://coredecision.highoctanesoftware.com and is being worked on. It is all a matter of resources. The game is 3/4 of the way finished and multiplayer ready at this point and so I have all my personnel and resource focused on completion.

If you are interested in doing the web development for the site email webdev@highoctanesoftware.com or call me.

Thank You,
HighOctane Software
(269)506-3116
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

Personal attacks hu?
A guys not allowed to call something lame anymore?
I didnt attack any one person...
All i said was the home page sucked.

But whatever...Lets all think im the biggest @$$hole and leave it at that.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The game is 3/4 done?! :shock: I thought it has only been in development for around one year?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hmm... is there a publisher lined up? And has High Octane Software been involved in any other projects in the past?

While not necessary, I think a 'yes' to either one of those questions would put a whole lot more weight behind it.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

STRESSTEST wrote:are we beta testing yet?

if not, I'll check back later
No, we're not beta testing, yet. In fact, I haven't even received a second e-mail.

The Phoenix Cannon 0wnz, unlike EMD. Bouncy balls of chaos. ^_^ Matches my personality. ^_^ The EMD Cannon is weak and the homing ability sucks and it uses a lot of energy. Phoenix uses a lot of energy, but it is powerful.

heh I remember setting up a bunch of Smart Mines next to a MatCen and setting them off from far away with the Gauss Cannon as soon as the enemy robots materialized. :) Ahh...those were the days. ^_^

JBOMB, HighOctane is actually making a new D2! ^_~ So, if you really like D3, bail out while you still can. :P ^_~ And I say that to all of you. ^_~
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

*JBOMB* wrote:But whatever...Lets all think im the biggest @$$hole and leave it at that.
Works for me ;)
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

it's the little things that d3 lacked that made d1/d2 two gems. such as:

1.That damn reactor. Hell in a 1on1 the reactor was like an evil referee or the 3rd man. It really sucked that d3 didnt have it.

2. proxy bombs. Ya they are in d3 but they are like DCrazy said, buggy. Small too and just lacked the magic that bursting throw a door and plowing into them in d1/d2 fashion.

3.CD soundtrack. You can't deny when d2 first hit, how pumped it got ya to play when it came on. hell, even the midi tracks rocked. An ingame mp3 player would be nice.

Highoctane give us some music! heh.

4.(D2) Drop weapons. They helped alot during team games if your buddy didn't have any guns.

As for the EMD Cannon, its useless. it probably was just place in the game as part of descent's difficult learning curve so that people can at least shoot until they learn how to fly.

kinda how the black pyro was added to strengthen the use of weapons that werent used much such as the plasma and microwave.

hell i didnt playem much but bring in some earthshaker type of missle.

D1/D2 had 3 groups of players.

1.Anarchy only
2.1on1
3.Earthshaker/Mega missle crew, or as I call them "The Big missle boys" It was communities within communities and easy to find in levels such as Gigadeath and Ultra Earthshaker.

And nobody ever touches on this, but there should be an optional weapon spawning mode.

what made d1 and d2 1on1 matches good is however many weapons you start with in the level, the weapon count stays the same. such as if there is two smart missles in the level, there will always be two smart missles.

In d3 a mofo could just cruise around hitting the "set weapon spawning spots" and grab as many smarts or whatever else that spawns. It took away some of the chess part of descent of trying to get your opponent to use his missles so you can go off and find them or battle for that 1 gun which brings me to something else that should be optional for the game.

D1/D2 if you fired any missles, they wouldn't respawn in "SET WEAPON SPAWN SPOTS" as they do in D3 or ground pounder games, they would respawn randomly ANYWHERE in the level. So that should be optional to please both parties.

and bring in D1/D2 peer2peer IPX. In d1/d2 on kali or lan you could HOST a game, fill it with players and leave go take a $hit, sex, food return home and that game could still be going until the last player leaves.

But in d3 if the HOST starts a game, fill it with players, wants to take a break and leaves, he shuts down the entire game ;(

Oh well im gettin hungry. time for some chinese food.

I'll be back.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

One multiplayer suggestion I have is that Client/server based games should be startable only from a command line so that no client is the server. Limit clients to peer to peer modes over TCP and IPX.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

While I do hate missleboating games, I don't entirely like the old D1/D2 weapon tracking. I can remeber many a time where an ace pilot would join the game, collect all the best weapons, and then procede to beat the ★■◆● out of everyone else(who not only where below him on the skill tree, but where usually stuck with Level 1 lasers and cuncusion missles).

Perhapse a weapon system that keeps track of how many missles are allowed in the game, but not the primaries?

And that old D1/D2 hosting system rocked! If your game crashed, or your had to reconfigure your joystick you could just leave and come back. In D3 the whole game, it's kill counters, and the collection of players goes *poof*.