For all you haters...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

^^ Which is exactly the point. Yes the left has crazies on par with Glenn Beck. Those mentioned, code pink, PETA, etc. In fact, I think Olbermann is more left then O'reilly is right, I think the Olbermann/Beck comparison before was pretty close.

The point isn't that there are crazies, the point is that the crazies on the left can't draw up any where near the same following.

I've seen Ed Shultz once, I found him offensive, and his ratings suggest that most liberals do. I don't need to be lead to think that republicans are the devil in order to disagree with them.

I am not afraid of Glenn Beck, I am afraid of the size of his audience.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Just to pick one of those out, PETA isn't liberal, they're just plain crazy.

Eh, no true Scotsman, I guess. :|
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

NewsBusters 5 wrote:Image

Looks like it might be time for summer school instruction in American history for left-wing radio and MSNBC host Ed Schultz.

Here's what a caller said on Schultz's radio show July 16 and Schultz's oblivious response click here for audio
CALLER: This gentleman who called previously, asking where in the Constitution does it say that health care should be provided? And I know where it says. It says that you have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. So, without health care, people can be deprived of life due to death from lack of medical care.

SCHULTZ: It's true.

CALLER: So, I think it says it right there, you have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It's in the Constitution.

SCHULTZ: Make us all happy if we had health care, wouldn't it?

CALLER: Certainly would.

SCHULTZ: Thank you for calling.
It would make any number of people happy if radio and cable TV hosts who pontificate about politics and government were acquainted with the nation's founding documents -- especially considering the intensity with which liberals professed their alleged fervor for the Constitution during the Bush years.

As even many of Schultz's other fans are surely aware, the words cited by the caller come from the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. If only the caller had mentioned the Constitution a third time, it might have jogged Schultz's memory.
As you can see there are idiots on both sides.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Well, some people have argued that the general welfare clause can be used in that manner... but yeah. Still. Pretty sad.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

I could actually listen to some of those people if it weren't for all the propaganda. Which by the way seems to permeate all News outlets of late to manage the perception of the people. The left and the right are both guilty perception management propaganda. Perception management has been so intense for centuries that what we believe is almost the opposite of reality. For example the rich getting richer which has been the same since the beginnings of time, yet the rich also controls the country. The rich are elected to office and then talk about taxing the rich. Do you think they will tax themselves?

The Super Rich
The super-rich (0.9%) Multi-millionaires whose incomes commonly exceed $350,000; includes celebrities and powerful executives/politicians. Ivy League education common.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Heretic wrote:Nope wrong. I would not even give Jon Steward a Click count. So I have no Idea what Clinton Said nor do I care what he said. The people who listens to Jon Liebowitz aka Steward is no better than those who listen to Glenn Beck. They are just at the opposite ends of the spectrum. I don't want to get my political views either one.
I feel like anyone who makes that sort of declaration has never really watched the Daily Show all that closely. I probably disagree with Stewart on a large number of individual issues, but I still view him as far and away the best political voice in the media, hands-down. He does very little "propaganda-spewing," as you put it...most of his satire stems from straight-up playing clips of what various political morons are spewing and calling them on how idiotic they truly are. And I've seen him take plenty of jabs at the current administration, too.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Spidey »

Top Gun wrote: but I still view him as far and away the best political voice in the media, hands-down.
Now "that's" funny.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

Wow a stand-up comedian the best political voice in the media? A person who admits he doesn't do anything other than satire and comedy, the best political voice in the media?

Whats does that say about our younger generation? A person who ends his debates by saying go F*&k yourself. :roll:
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Nope

that don't happen!
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Heretic wrote:Wow a stand-up comedian the best political voice in the media? A person who admits he doesn't do anything other than satire and comedy, the best political voice in the media?

Whats does that say about our younger generation? A person who ends his debates by saying go F*&k yourself. :roll:
I don't know what it says about our "younger generation," but I do know what it says about our media, and about Stewart himself.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

You do know that people who get their information from shows like that are less informed about key aspects of the backgrounds of people running in elections and show little awareness of campaign issues. They are less likely to get questions right about the candidates. In fact 21% of people under 30 get their information from TV shows like the Daily Show. I guess you are part of the 21% since you are below the age of 30 and you think he is a political dynamo. So that would also mean you can't answer key question about candidates and key issues of an election.

http://people-press.org/report/200/cabl ... s-universe
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

...where did I say that I get most of my political information from the Daily Show? I don't even watch it from a regular basis. I just happen to be of the opinion, and I think it's a justifiable one, that Jon Stewart and his writing team do a far greater service to political discourse in this country than the entire collection of talking heads scattered across the cable news networks.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea, I can see how taking small bits and pieces of someones life and displaying them out of context can provide a great service.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

oh the irony.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Top is right on this one. Yes, the goal of the first part of the show is to make fun of the \"theater\" nature that is now politics/media. But many of his interviews are the best you will see. Just in the past two weeks:

Tony Blair, President Clinton, Tim Kaine, Michael Bloomberg.

I agree that JS shouldn't be your news source, and that isn't his goal, but his interviews are some of the best out there.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

If you like the lefty satire, you might like the righty satire as well. The Colbert Report has some mighty fine interviews as well.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

AlphaDoG wrote:If you like the lefty satire, you might like the righty satire as well. The Colbert Report has some mighty fine interviews as well.
wait

i'm sorry

sir, did you just say that you believe Stephen Colbert is right wing?
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

Maybe he is thinking about Sir Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, the persona of political satirist Stephen Colbert, who is a leftest portraying a well-intentioned, poorly informed high-status idiot on the right.

It's hard to sort out the Multiple Personalities of the left wing.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Heretic wrote:Maybe he is thinking about Sir Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, the persona of political satirist Stephen Colbert, who is a leftest portraying a well-intentioned, poorly informed high-status idiot on the right.

It's hard to sort out the Multiple Personalities of the left wing.
I never really thought it was that hard. Colbert pretends to be a right-wing moonbat because it's funny. Not that complicated. :|
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

Let's get the terms right there fella.

Moonbat: is a term used in United States politics as a political epithet referring to social liberals or leftists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonbat

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... bat&page=2

Wingnut is a term often aimed at members of the political right than those of the political left.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingnut_(politics)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wingnut

So it would be \"Colbert pretends to be a wingnut (not moonbat) because it's funny\".
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

\"Moonbat\" and \"wingnut\" just mean \"crazy person.\" I said \"moonbat\" instead of \"wingnut\" because I'd just said \"right-wing,\" and \"right-wing wingnut\" sounded a bit repetitive. So there.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Heretic »

null0010 wrote:"Moonbat" and "wingnut" just mean "crazy person." I said "moonbat" instead of "wingnut" because I'd just said "right-wing," and "right-wing wingnut" sounded a bit repetitive. So there.

Nanny nanny boo boo
Stick your head in doo doo
Eat it
Eat it
With some pee pee and poo poo.

If you want to get all third grade about it.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

LOL! I seem to have stirred some sh*t!

Trust me I know who and what Colbert is. However that doesn't detract from his ability to do some funny interviews.

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Heretic wrote: Nanny nanny boo boo
Stick your head in doo doo
Eat it
Eat it
With some pee pee and poo poo.

If you want to get all third grade about it.
Woooooooow.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

Of course he could have learned the difference between Moon Bats & Wing Nuts and avoided the whole \"So There\" argument
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Heretic wrote:Of course he could have learned the difference between Moon Bats & Wing Nuts and avoided the whole "So There" argument
I was explaining my word choice to you. "Moonbat" evokes a person with a disconnect from the world. It seems equally applicable to extremists from all areas of political thought. No need to pull out the kindergarten potty mouthing just because you've got your knickers in a bunch. Just because we disagree on politics doesn't mean you have to leap on every little thing in a conversation.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

I'll see your Nanny Nanny Boo Boo and raise you a I'm rubber and you are glue.

Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

So let me see if I got this right.

I'm acting like a wingnut that don't agree with your moonbat ways. With me leaping on to every part of a political conversation in much the same manner as you and I'm wrong. Is it that I'm wrong because Im a wingnut or that I'm not a moonbat?

Political conversation will end up with the Wingnuts and Moonbats jumping on to every little part of a Conversation. Maybe you need to go back and reread this whole thread where you jumped on every little part of the conversation about our founding fathers.

If you think that stuff is potty mouth you have a ways to grow. Yes I said grow.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Correcting historical misconceptions is so on the same level as getting your panties in a knot about the word \"moonbat.\"
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Heretic »

null0010 wrote:Just because we disagree on politics doesn't mean you have to leap on every little thing in a conversation.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Heretic wrote:
null0010 wrote:Just because we disagree on politics doesn't mean you have to leap on every little thing in a conversation.
Nice trolling there, 6/10 :)
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

Hey if you want to be the white guy in the hood using the street slang improperly by all means be that guy. Just don't close you mind to learning how to use the slang properly. So THERE.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Yea, learn from a master.
ImageImage
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I like Stewart and Colbert because they don't bully their guests (with the exception of Colbert's fake bullying). In fact, some of Stewart's best interviews are with people with whom he generally disagrees (Mike Huckabee, Bill Kristol, etc.). You really wouldn't see both sides of an issue presented so well in an interview on the other cable entertainment news channels.