Toxic Waste Dump

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Toxic Waste Dump

Post by flip »

Yeah, I had our "friends of the government all wrong." Well, not all wrong ;), it seems that they are very smart and long-sighted. They moved all manufacturing jobs and the pollution that it creates, off of this continent for the most part. One thing they didn't account for though, where are all those people gonna live in 20-30 more years of this. Or less really, because I have talked to several service men and women and they say things are going on over there they cannot talk about. I bet this is it.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

But what goes around, comes around. Anything dumped into the air in China will make it's way over here. Anything that gets dumped into the ocean will also make it's way over here, especially in the food chain, namely fish. I also won't eat shrimp anymore because everything in the stores is ALL farmed over in China or Indonesia in little polluted cesspools. Literally, the pools are full of wastes and pharmaceuticals. Bluefin Tuna showing up clear over here on the West Coast has shown increased levels of radiation from the Fukushima meltdown. If the TPP gets passed, we'll be getting contaminated food imported from China (if we aren't already) without any government oversight or regulation. Nice, yummy, contaminated or adulterated processed food fit for a Chinese rat. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

That "increased" radiation is something like one part in a billion, still far below FDA-mandated safe limits. It's enough to notice, but not enough to do anything else.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

It's really quite amazing how sensitive modern radiation detection equipment is, it's like startrek stuff.
They can detect underground nuclear testing from the other side of the world or something. Ain't nothin happens no-where that they don't notice.
Decades ago this kindof tiny rise wouldn't have even been detectable.

Here's an excellently informative video from the UN about the reality of Chernobyl and Fukushima, trying to dispel retarded myths created by a media who should know better.
[youtube]2Ncm8KwxWNg[/youtube]
Leading experts from the UN Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR), the International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP) and the Chernobyl Tissue Bank discuss the effects of radiation from a nuclear accident.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

roid wrote:Here's an excellently informative video from the UN about the reality of Chernobyl and Fukushima, trying to dispel retarded myths created by a media who should know better.
Good luck with that, UN !!! The present media can barely contain their contempt for actual journalism, as long as there are plenty of mouse clicks and rag sales to be had by slobbering over a lurid headline or otherwise just making crap up on the fly.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Top Gun wrote:That "increased" radiation is something like one part in a billion, still far below FDA-mandated safe limits. It's enough to notice, but not enough to do anything else.
Sure, but do you want to eat it? I've already been dosed with some of those radioactive products having been blown to the west coast, so how much is too much? No one's really studied what long term radiation exposure does to the human body. And no one really knows how much total radiation leaked into the sea either, despite TEPCO's figures. It's still out there and spreading too, although diluting over time, cesium-137 has a half life of 30 years and will be deposited the sediments and taken up in the food chain. I guess the Japanese have more to worry about than I, but that's no consolation. TEPCO has claimed a "cold shutdown", but the fuel and melted reactor products are still there onsite, which have to be constantly cared for and monitored and have the potential to still get out into the environment. They may even have to bury the mess in a concrete coffin, right there at sea level in an earthquake zone. Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. :wink:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ntrol.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

My hubby got dosed from that. He lived in Minnesota as a kid, right downwind from that patriotic, flag-waving BS. They had to monitor dairy products because the grass became contaminated with radiation, which the cows ate and then contaminated the milk and cheese products.

But here in the NW, we've got this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford_Site

And it's on the Columbia River, so if things leak into the river, everyone downstream gets dosed. :twisted:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

tunnelcat wrote:
Top Gun wrote:That "increased" radiation is something like one part in a billion, still far below FDA-mandated safe limits. It's enough to notice, but not enough to do anything else.
Sure, but do you want to eat it?
Can't say I'd lose any sleep over it. Honestly, I'd be more concerned about mercury levels in fish than anything radioactive. :P
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/scien ... .html?_r=1

You can never find these sources when you reall need them :roll:

EDIT: Anybody wanna go swimming :shock:
"As of 2008, 1 million U.S. gallons (4,000 m3) of highly radioactive waste is traveling through the groundwater toward the Columbia River. This waste is expected to reach the river in 12 to 50 years if cleanup does not proceed on schedule.[5] The site also includes 25 million cubic feet (710,000 m3) of solid radioactive waste"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Top Gun wrote:Can't say I'd lose any sleep over it. Honestly, I'd be more concerned about mercury levels in fish than anything radioactive. :P
But if you buy frozen Tilapia, you're likely to get some nice tasty sewage and agricultural waste from China too. Mmmmmmmmm, tasty!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/15/world ... wanted=all
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

We've seen how bad the air is over there and they say the water is their biggest problem.
“Water is the biggest problem in China,” said Peter Leedham, the business manager at Sino Analytica, an independent food safety testing firm that works with companies that buy from China. “But my feeling is China will deal with it, because it has to. It just won’t be a quick process.”
EDIT:I don't think it's sustainable. I don't know about anyone else, but I would be running for my life if I had to breathe that ★■◆● in :shock:
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Could not think of a better place to put this, considering we are seeing toxic waste pressure being put on species all over the world but:

Has anyone ever wondered if the beasts that John describes in The Revelation of Jesus Christ are insects or even microscopic organisms that he just got a close up view of?

BOO