Just got a "New" car, what do you guys drive?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Flabby Chick wrote:John Deere 6015
nothing like going with the big unit :)

I'll try to get some pictures up later today.
04 Grand Prix
98 GMC K2500
89 Ford F-350
FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FireFox »

99 Nissan Sentra 160Si (pics taken before I rolled it but it looks like "new" again, more or less)
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

'98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Wanna race, Kompreszor? :wink:

And this is where the magic happens.
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

I'll race ya. Have your pink slip ready. :twisted:

Should have pics up in a day or so.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

TharHes BGS-1T Barghest.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Don't underestimate an M3... That goes for you as well, Nexus. There are few drivers who can say they're better than the car ;)
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

just dont overestimate yourself either nex
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

I know. I also know cars very well. I'm not trying to be cocky, just stupidly confident. :P

I am definately not better than my car, it is after only an extension of my pennis.
Zer0Cool
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zer0Cool »

I drive a 2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protege

It's a beast. One of the best handling FWD cars in existance. As of now it's going through some work, cuz i have a huge wish list. If i ever got everthing on it i would prolly have wet dreams for a month. But as of right now it's got

AEM CAI
autometer a-pillar dual gague pod
autometer boost gauge, autometer A/F gauge

the to do list is
Ion TurboBack Exhuast
Ion FMIC
HKS SSQV BOV
EBC/Turbo Timer
and some other little sh!t

and a low 13 slip.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Hey Zero,
Cool little ride..I would love to meet ya at say, Sears point for a quick buzz or two around the track. I'd be happy to race you for pink slips and mine's a front drive too. My wife could use a little car like that to get around town.
The other option is, you can just send me the pink and I'll fly down to pick up my wife's new ride.. it'd save you the embarrassment. ;)

1.12 lat g's in a front drive. read it and weep.

B-
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

I'm still working on getting my Evo :cry:
Zer0Cool
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zer0Cool »

"One of the best"

Stock handling... You've dumped how much money into your PGT for it to handle like that.

And i'd be more than happy to race you barry(not for slips), remember the car doesn't make the driver ;)
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Zero,
I've been racing cars longer than you've been alive.
Man, I sound like my father. heh

I haven't dumped much into it, actually. It's pretty much all suspension work.

Nexus, I know you got the sedan. If not you should be shot.

B-
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

1996 Grand Prix GTP Special Edition

almost the same engine as jaggers, just alittle older and different design

hey Jagger.....ill race ya :twisted:
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

Mine's a 3.8 liter Supercharged. The only forced induction motor from 1990-1996 was an OHV turbocharged 3.1 liter V6. By '96 they had released a DOHC 3.4 liter six that put out 215 horses. The only other two motor options was a naturally aspirated 3.1 liter V6, and a DOHC 2.3 liter I4. Ain't no 3800 Series II Supercharged in that line-up, boyeee! :P
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

mine is Supercharged aswell.
Zer0Cool
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zer0Cool »

Fusion pimp wrote:Zero,

I haven't dumped much into it, actually. It's pretty much all suspension work.

B-
yes i know it's all suspension work. you have I/E and the rest is suspension, that was pretty much my point. You dumped ALL the money into the suspension, if it didn't pull 1.12 G's on the skid, then i'd feel cheated. Whereas i've put no money into suspension other than new sway bars, and i pull .91 on the skid pad.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

my 94 grand prix was suuuuuuuuuuuuuper charged too! woo!
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

You dumped ALL the money into the suspension, if it didn't pull 1.12 G's on the skid, then i'd feel cheated.
You inexperience is showing, youngin'. If I dumped twice the money I did and the car pulled .96 lats I would feel far from cheated and it started at .93... There's such a huge difference between .93 and .96.
There is no other production car that will net you such huge handling improvements for the same money spent on suspension upgrades. Nothing!
I know, that's a pretty big claim: check it out for yourself and you'll see that I am not blowing smoke.

To top it off, I'm braking 60-0 in just under 100 Ft.

Just remember, it's not bragging if you can prove it. :)
Zer0Cool
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zer0Cool »

i'm not doubting the fact that you have the best bang for your buck in terms of what your car is capable of for a certain amount of money. The point i'm arguing is that my car stock, is ONE OF (notice didn't say BEST) handling cars.

Now you've pointed out that yours is superior in handling, yes barry your c0ck is bigger in this instance, but only because you have spent money on SUSPENSION upgrades, whereas I have not. Therefore the fact that your car handles better than mine has to do with the fact that you have put a desent amount of money into suspension work.

I know your not blowing smoke up my a$$ i've seen the pictures and i know your not acecombat. I'm fully away of what a PGT is capable of. I'm also aware of what my car is capable of. Stock for Stock my car handles better than just about any FWD car in production today(keywords: production today).

And i'm far more experianced than you probably give me credit for. I'm not some young ricer punk who takes a honda puts a fart can, neon lights, and a big ugly wing, on a car and thinks its fast. I'm fully aware of what my car can do, and what parts to put where. I'm also probably one of the best 19 yr old drivers you'll ever meet. I'm fully capable of Autocrossing, and have done so many times.

This is not a personal attack on you, or a flame of anykind, i'm just pointing out the difference between your modded PGT and my fairly Stock MSP

I just noticed you pulled the "I've been driving longer than you've been alive crap." This is normally a pretty reasonable statement, but i've raced many people who are about twice my age, and beaten many of them. The i've been driving longer statement is like saying, i've been walkin longer than you've been alive therefor i'll beat you in a foot race...which is a rediculous statement. All i ask is that you not look down upon me because i'm young, and show me the same respect that i show you. Yes Barry your car is superior...But there is a reason behind that.

Just out of curiousity, what suspension work did you do to your car?

P.S.
What year is your car?

P.P.S.
My cars faster in a straight line :P
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

heh! I just typed out a long/good post and my dog stuck her nose on my kb and it backed out of the dbb. I clicked forward and it was all gone. I'm too tired to type it all out again tonight. I'll hit ya back in the morning.

B-
Zer0Cool
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zer0Cool »

Fusion pimp wrote:heh! I just typed out a long/good post and my dog stuck her nose on my kb and it backed out of the dbb. I clicked forward and it was all gone. I'm too tired to type it all out again tonight. I'll hit ya back in the morning.

B-
LOL fair enough :D :lol:
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Now you've pointed out that yours is superior in handling, yes barry your c0ck is bigger in this instance, but only because you have spent money on SUSPENSION upgrades, whereas I have not.
Actually, in stock form the PGT turns a .93 latG's and the MS5 turns a .89. :) My c0ck was bigger to begin with.
I know your not blowing smoke up my a$$ i've seen the pictures and i know your not acecombat. I'm fully away of what a PGT is capable of. I'm also aware of what my car is capable of.
You're right, I am not blowing smoke. I've only driven one MS5 and to be honest, I was impressed with the little thing. I'm certainly not ragging on your car. It had a ton of understeer, IMO...but, I did like the manumatic option, I'm not sure how it would perform on a track, though.

Stock for Stock my car handles better than just about any FWD car in production today(keywords: production today).
There are a number of cars that produce .89 latG's in production today. That doesn't mean your car handles poorly. Handling capability has vastly improved over the past 10 years. It used to be pretty rare to find a production car for less than 40g's(remember, 40g's 10 years ago was a big, BIG ticket car) that will turn low .90's. Now it's easy.
And i'm far more experianced than you probably give me credit for. I'm not some young ricer punk who takes a honda puts a fart can, neon lights, and a big ugly wing, on a car and thinks its fast.
I've learned not to underestimate anyone and I don't think you're a young punk. I do think that people nowdays are grossly mislead by marketing and I blame it mostly on magazines. It's not uncommon to pick-up a ricer mag and see an ad for a cat back on a Honda Civic and have them claim 8-12 hp gains. Sorry, it's a lie. You're not going to get 10hp from a 4 cyl with a CAI, it doesn't happen that way. I know there are rare( and I do mean rare) cases of this happening, but, it's not the norm. People buy into it hook-line-and-sinker. My car is a 6 cyl boasting 165/170 and without FI it's never going to be a rocket, I know this. This is why I chose to focus mostly on suspension/brake work. I chose to focus on what it's natural at and make it better instead of sinking thousands of dollars into motor work to produce 15 *real* Hp.

I'm fully aware of what my car can do, and what parts to put where. I'm also probably one of the best 19 yr old drivers you'll ever meet. I'm fully capable of Autocrossing, and have done so many times.
Nothing personal, but, everyone thinks they're a good driver. Experience is the key, get as much as you can and work at getting faster. Even naturals can't go to a track and turn wicked fast times without track experience.
This is not a personal attack on you, or a flame of anykind, i'm just pointing out the difference between your modded PGT and my fairly Stock MSP
I didn't take it as a personal attack at all. I'm the one who started it by challenging you. :)
I just noticed you pulled the "I've been driving longer than you've been alive crap." This is normally a pretty reasonable statement, but i've raced many people who are about twice my age, and beaten many of them.
That's awesome! Keep at it. Also, do it legally! Times have changed, things are much different than when I was a street racer(gasp!). People don't play anymore and niether do the police. 5 years ago I had a friend who lost his life over a street race.. he made a bet with a fella in a Mustang for 200.00, the Mustang lost and instead of paying, he decided to shoot my friend in the back of the head. It was uncommon for fight to break out but as the years passed it was not uncommon to hear gunfire in the crowds and often times it was full-auto's going off. That was when I called it quits. People got far to serious for me. There's no such thing as a serious street race.

The i've been driving longer statement is like saying, i've been walkin longer than you've been alive therefor i'll beat you in a foot race...which is a rediculous statement. All i ask is that you not look down upon me because i'm young, and show me the same respect that i show you.
Poor analogy. Walking is a natural occurence and so are foot races. Driving is not.
I'm sorry if you took it as me looking down on you, I'm not. The older I get the more I realize that when I was young and thought I knew how to drive, I didn't. There's so much to know/learn and again, it's all experience. And, in 10 years(if you're still doing this) you'll realize how much you didn't know..Believe me, I'm not ragging on you. If you're really serious about racing, my advice would be to get as much track time as you can and don't focus on what you know, focus on what you don't know. There's so much to learn. I'm sure you're already a better driver than I am, keep at it.

Yes Barry your car is superior...But there is a reason behind that.
The truth is that we're both driving regular everyday cars. Nothing special. :)
Just out of curiousity, what suspension work did you do to your car?
Castor/Camber plates 1.5" front/2.0" rear"
Coil-over
Tokico illuminas(adjustables) on 4 corners
Eibach pro 2.0"
22MM sway
Solid bushings
F/R strut braces
Tubed control arm
and a few other minor things.

Motor:
CAI
Exhaust
Ported/polished upper/lower

Tranny:
Lightweight aluminum flyweel
ACT stage 2 clutch.
Super short throw.

Brakes:
2 piston front/rear
Brembo cross drills.
SS lines
Carbon/metallics( they make tons of noise but they stop well)

Also, I went with O.Z Monte Carlos in 8.5 rear and 8.0 in front. The wheels aren't the lightest( I think they came in at 8 lbs) but I wanted the extra few inches on the tires.

If I were to pick two things that I absolutely must have(minus suspension) it would be the flywheel(dropped from a portly 22lbs to 9lbs)/clutch and short throw. The thing rev/drops so quickly that I had to re-learn how to drive the car. It rev's quicker than my friends Hayabusa and drops just as quickly. If you're not constently controlling on the throttle it will drop out of band and you'll lose time. It took me a year to learn to drive it again.

P.S.
What year is your car?
It's a 96.
P.P.S.
My cars faster in a straight line
I would bet that we'd be more even than you think. It'll turn high 14's on a good day and mid-14's on a really good day with slicks.

B-
Zer0Cool
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zer0Cool »

Fusion pimp wrote: Actually, in stock form the PGT turns a .93 latG's and the MS5 turns a .89. :) My c0ck was bigger to begin with.

Umm hmm, my car isn't an MS5. nor is it a Mazda3, nor is it a mazda6. It's neither of those cars. It's a MazdaSpeed Protege. although your number was right, it pulls .89 on the pad, your car is wrong.
You're right, I am not blowing smoke. I've only driven one MS5 and to be honest, I was impressed with the little thing. I'm certainly not ragging on your car. It had a ton of understeer, IMO...but, I did like the manumatic option, I'm not sure how it would perform on a track, though.
Again Wrong car, my car comes in strictly 5 speed, no manumatic. So i do belive you may not have driven my car. MazdaSpeed Protege. It's a turbo 2.0L with limited slip in front, Bridgestone potenza 215/45ZR17 tires.
There are a number of cars that produce .89 latG's in production today. That doesn't mean your car handles poorly. Handling capability has vastly improved over the past 10 years. It used to be pretty rare to find a production car for less than 40g's(remember, 40g's 10 years ago was a big, BIG ticket car) that will turn low .90's. Now it's easy.

Barry i know you are really stuck on this whole skid pad thing, but there is more to what makes a car handle good other than what it can pull on the skidpad. for example the RSX-S and the nissan sentra specV both pull .91 on the skidpad stock. But if you were to put my car on an autocross track next to both of them, my car will outrun them everytime. The lack of body roll, the limit slip, the tires, the sway bars, everything comes into play, so while they may be able to make a complete circle and not skid first, my car will outhandle them in a realistic circumstance.

You really should do a little research on my car, it has de-throned the Integra Type R for best handling fwd car. Honestly look into it, you'll be surprised at what you find, even though it only pulls .89G's it can whoop a car that pull i believe .91Gs.
I've learned not to underestimate anyone and I don't think you're a young punk. I do think that people nowdays are grossly mislead by marketing and I blame it mostly on magazines. It's not uncommon to pick-up a ricer mag and see an ad for a cat back on a Honda Civic and have them claim 8-12 hp gains. Sorry, it's a lie. You're not going to get 10hp from a 4 cyl with a CAI, it doesn't happen that way. I know there are rare( and I do mean rare) cases of this happening, but, it's not the norm. People buy into it hook-line-and-sinker. My car is a 6 cyl boasting 165/170 and without FI it's never going to be a rocket, I know this. This is why I chose to focus mostly on suspension/brake work. I chose to focus on what it's natural at and make it better instead of sinking thousands of dollars into motor work to produce 15 *real* Hp.
Yes i'm fully aware of the difference between whp and bhp, and i too blame the media for it as well. My car is claimed @ 170hp, where in reality it puts 150 to the wheels, which is a little higher then most cars. It is a little underrated, similar to the dodge srt4 which is claimed at 215, but actually puts down 230.
Nothing personal, but, everyone thinks they're a good driver. Experience is the key, get as much as you can and work at getting faster. Even naturals can't go to a track and turn wicked fast times without track experience.
I concur
I didn't take it as a personal attack at all. I'm the one who started it by challenging you. :)
Yea that's true, you started it =)
That's awesome! Keep at it. Also, do it legally! Times have changed, things are much different than when I was a street racer(gasp!).
Barry a street Racer :shock: :o
People don't play anymore and niether do the police. 5 years ago I had a friend who lost his life over a street race.. he made a bet with a fella in a Mustang for 200.00, the Mustang lost and instead of paying, he decided to shoot my friend in the back of the head. It was uncommon for fight to break out but as the years passed it was not uncommon to hear gunfire in the crowds and often times it was full-auto's going off. That was when I called it quits. People got far to serious for me. There's no such thing as a serious street race.
Yes i dont' really like to street race, keeping it legal is the intelligent thing to do...I'll agree with you on that one.

Poor analogy. Walking is a natural occurence and so are foot races. Driving is not.
I'll Agree, but i couldn't think of something witty @ the time.
I'm sorry if you took it as me looking down on you, I'm not. The older I get the more I realize that when I was young and thought I knew how to drive, I didn't. There's so much to know/learn and again, it's all experience. And, in 10 years(if you're still doing this) you'll realize how much you didn't know..Believe me, I'm not ragging on you. If you're really serious about racing, my advice would be to get as much track time as you can and don't focus on what you know, focus on what you don't know. There's so much to learn. I'm sure you're already a better driver than I am, keep at it.
The truth is that we're both driving regular everyday cars. Nothing special. :)
I Disagree, for a 19 year old kid who drives a 14 second car and makes his own payments without mommy and daddy buying it for him. I think it's very special.

your mods are pretty nice btw.

Also, I went with O.Z Monte Carlos in 8.5 rear and 8.0 in front. The wheels aren't the lightest( I think they came in at 8 lbs) but I wanted the extra few inches on the tires.

If I were to pick two things that I absolutely must have(minus suspension) it would be the flywheel(dropped from a portly 22lbs to 9lbs)/clutch and short throw. The thing rev/drops so quickly that I had to re-learn how to drive the car. It rev's quicker than my friends Hayabusa and drops just as quickly. If you're not constently controlling on the throttle it will drop out of band and you'll lose time. It took me a year to learn to drive it again.
That's pretty badass that it made that much of a difference. that's what heel-toe-braking is for ;)
P.S.
What year is your car?

It's a 96.
I'll have to do a little research ;)
P.P.S.
My cars faster in a straight line

I would bet that we'd be more even than you think. It'll turn high 14's on a good day and mid-14's on a really good day with slicks.
I probably would be surprised, but then again i'd have the advanatge of 10psi of booth along with a fmic, and some other nifty stuff ;)

My goal is to have my car in the 13's by the end of summer, it's lookin pretty realistic as of right now.

~ZC
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

jagger ill still race ya
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Sorry, Zero.. I thought that's what you have.
In that case, here's the specs for your car:

http://www.modernracer.com/mazdaspeedprotege.html

Still turning a .89.

B-
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

Zer0Cool wrote:well first of all lets clear one thing up right away, i havn't even gotten through you entire post. You said MS5 turns a .89. Well my car isn't an MS5, nor does it have a manumatic option. I drive a MazdaSpeed Protege. That is not a Mazda 5, it's not a mazda 3, it's not a mazda 6. In fact it's neither of those cars. It comes in 5 speed, that's it. With a shortshifter. so my assumption, is you may not have driven my car?
Doesn't matter. Stock, the MS Protege still pulls .89 on the skidpad.

edit: dang it, Barry. We posted at the same time. :P

Ace: I wouldn't mind seeing pics of your engine bay. I've never heard of a supercharged Grand Prix prior to '97.
Zer0Cool
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zer0Cool »

i have edited my previous post, feel free to read the novel while i go to work, i'll be expecting nothing less than perfection from you barry =)
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

My cars are nothing special. They get me from point A to point B rather nicely.

I have a 96 Mazda Protoge and a 2001 Honda Accord EX.

My other rides are an MD88, an MD90, a B-737-200, a B737-300, a B-737-800, a B-757, B-767, and a B-777; any of which I can ride anywhere I want for free :P
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Barry i know you are really stuck on this whole skid pad thing, but there is more to what makes a car handle good other than what it can pull on the skidpad.

I fully understand that there's more to it on the track than just skidpad, which is exactly why I think track results are not a good comparison, too many variables.
In a skidpad test you're in a 200 foot circle and you accelerate smoothly until the vehicle either breaks the line or loses traction..Not many variables and it makes the test/comparison very clean and darn near error free.
How a vehicle rates on a skidpad directly translates to how the *vehicle*(not driver) can/will do on a track. A skidpad tells more than you think it does.
so while they may be able to make a complete circle and not skid first, my car will outhandle them in a realistic circumstance.
In realistic, or even circumstances? :)

You really should do a little research on my car, it has de-throned the Integra Type R for best handling fwd car. Honestly look into it, you'll be surprised at what you find, even though it only pulls .89G's it can whoop a car that pull i believe .91Gs.
.89 in a stock vehicle is nothing to scoff at.
Yes i'm fully aware of the difference between whp and bhp, and i too blame the media for it as well. My car is claimed @ 170hp, where in reality it puts 150 to the wheels, which is a little higher then most cars. It is a little underrated, similar to the dodge srt4 which is claimed at 215, but actually puts down 230.
I'm not talking about the difference between BHP and WHP, I'm talking about HP in general. Adding a CAI/CATBACK is not going to give you 8-12 HP.. not even BHP in a 4 banger.
I Disagree, for a 19 year old kid who drives a 14 second car and makes his own payments without mommy and daddy buying it for him. I think it's very special.
lol! I think you missed my point. I mean the stock capability of our cars is really nothing special. We're not driving 150K 911's.. they're everyday cars, thus- nothing special.
You're talking about the responsibility factor. I applaud you for making your own way in life.
My goal is to have my car in the 13's by the end of summer, it's lookin pretty realistic as of right now.
EVERYONE and their mother has a 13 second car nowdays. Hell, my wife has an S.H.O that will damn near run high 13's(not really, but I have to make a point :) I think it'll turn mid-14's without a problem, though ) Not many people have cars that can REALLY handle/brake.. dare to be different!

Remember, cars that can only go fast in a straight line is only half a car.. I have half a car, mine only goes fast around corners. :)

B-
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Dedman wrote:My other rides are an MD88, an MD90, a B-737-200, a B737-300, a B-737-800, a B-757, B-767, and a B-777; any of which I can ride anywhere I want for free :P

WORD!!
Zer0Cool
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zer0Cool »

Fusion pimp wrote:I fully understand that there's more to it on the track than just skidpad, which is exactly why I think track results are not a good comparison, too many variables.
In a skidpad test you're in a 200 foot circle and you accelerate smoothly until the vehicle either breaks the line or loses traction..Not many variables and it makes the test/comparison very clean and darn near error free.
How a vehicle rates on a skidpad directly translates to how the *vehicle*(not driver) can/will do on a track. A skidpad tells more than you think it does.
hmm i'm gonna ponder this one for a few and put some thought into my retort ;) i'll get back to you on this one.
so while they may be able to make a complete circle and not skid first, my car will outhandle them in a realistic circumstance.
In realistic, or even circumstances? :)
???? i totally missed what you were gettin at here?
.89 in a stock vehicle is nothing to scoff at.
I understand that it's nothing to scoff at, but what i can't understand is how many cars in the same category of cars score higher on the pad, yet my car is supposedly a better handling car. Example: the Nissan Sentra SpecV pulls .91 as does the RSX-S, and yet my car has been rated to handle better, it also feels much better in each corner, no body roll, more control...and so on. So what i don't understand is how can my car be rated to handle better than ones that score higher on a skid pad?
I'm not talking about the difference between BHP and WHP, I'm talking about HP in general. Adding a CAI/CATBACK is not going to give you 8-12 HP.. not even BHP in a 4 banger.
Maybe i'm just nieve,(sp) but i didn't know that dyno charts lied? i mean average "sport compact car" with a CAI and a Catback exhaust that are any good will net a good 8 hp from the combined mods. or atleast that's what the dyno charts have told me...or is that a wrong assumption to go by dyno's???
lol! I think you missed my point. I mean the stock capability of our cars is really nothing special. We're not driving 150K 911's.. they're everyday cars, thus- nothing special.
You're talking about the responsibility factor. I applaud you for making your own way in life.
Yes that point i did miss ;)

and thank you for appreciating my life style choices :D
EVERYONE and their mother has a 13 second car nowdays. Hell, my wife has an S.H.O that will damn near run high 13's(not really, but I have to make a point :) I think it'll turn mid-14's without a problem, though ) Not many people have cars that can REALLY handle/brake.. dare to be different!

Remember, cars that can only go fast in a straight line is only half a car.. I have half a car, mine only goes fast around corners. :)
I do plan on being different, i plan on having a car that goes fast in a straight line and goes even faster around the corners. The 13 second car isn't something that is really around that much here in the tristate (pa de nj) area.

I see a few nicer cars here and there, but most people are ricers around here.
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

Zer0Cool wrote: Maybe i'm just nieve,(sp) but i didn't know that dyno charts lied? i mean average "sport compact car" with a CAI and a Catback exhaust that are any good will net a good 8 hp from the combined mods. or atleast that's what the dyno charts have told me...or is that a wrong assumption to go by dyno's???
While I won't make a blanket statement like "don't trust any dyno ever!!", I will say to be cautious of dyno results. They can fluctuate between shops.
Zer0Cool
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zer0Cool »

yes i'm fully aware of that, but when you go to the same dyno over and over again, and they have one of the most accurate dyno's on the market, and it only sways within .1 hp, i'd say it's results are accurate....i go to my buddy's shop, and they have a very accurate dyno. .1 hp until 800 whp, then it only varies by .5 hp.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

I'll end with this: find me a CAI or a catback that produces 8-12 HP on a Honda civic.. I'd even settle for BHP. You're going to find that what I am telling you is true, that is- the ads lie. Don't get caught up in it.
I wish I had some webspace, I took some recent pictures of my car(like, today) since the pictures you saw were very old. I'd be happy to send em to ya if you can post 'em. It's really nothing special but I thought you may be interested anyway.

The dyno results should vary more than .5 as atmospheric conditions vary from day to day and so should you cars HP. I've seen 'em vary as much as 9hp, same car, same dyno, different day.

B-
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

send 'em this way, and I'll host them. :P
Zer0Cool
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zer0Cool »

on a different day, absolutly they vary, i'm referring to on the same day. If you dyno the car today bone stock, then throw on an intake, which really doesn't take that long, and have another guy put on the exhuast, you'll net some desent gains...and you had to pick a civic....ewwww. I'm actually runnin late for work, so i can't look it up right now, i'll do it when i get home. As for the pictures (Zer0Cool5@comcast.net) hit me up barry.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Tell ya a little story- When I was searching for cars, I had it narrowed down to the Type-r and the PGT/MX-6. I drove the Type-r first and the salesman told me to drive it like I stole it. heh, that was his mistake. Getting on the freeway going into a decreasing radius right-hander I put the front fascia on the pavement and I heard it grind.. The car wallowed like a drunken shopping car. We got back to the dealer and the angry salesman disappeared inside. While we were waiting for him to return(he didn't return- his boss did and literally yelled at me for driving the car that hard) I started checking under the front wheel to see what kind of damage I caused, but I couldn't find any. I started feeling under the fascia and found that a burn hole large enough to fit my fist in under the left side. It was ugly. That quickly turned me off of the Type-r. I think they're grossly overrated in terms of handling and speed. My choice was simple from there.
it also feels much better in each corner, no body roll, more control...and so on. So what i don't understand is how can my car be rated to handle better than ones that score higher on a skid pad?
The car has to roll some.
Who rated it? do you have the comparison? What were the slalom results?
Something else I should mention. I think they should test skidpad with equal tires on each car. Tires really are the variable.
If you dyno the car today bone stock, then throw on an intake, which really doesn't take that long, and have another guy put on the exhuast, you'll net some desent gains
Well, that depends. I've seen a CAI installed that cost 200.00 that netted the car a wh00ping 2hp @ almost 6000r's, it was useless, IMO. I've seen a 600.00 catback that actually decreased HP by 7hp almost all the way through the band. I've seen them both added at the same time and the car gained 12hp @5500 but lost 2 at 3500. I've seen people add one and lose HP and then add the other and gain. Sometimes both bolt-ons are the key, it really depends on the car. Add-ons are a give and take, always.
There is no N/A 4cyl that will benefit going from a 2.5 inch exhaust to a 4 inch.
Keeping velocity high is the goal. A Pipe that is too large will lose low end torque as the gas starts moving slower. Pipe that is too small will lose top end power. The optimum exhaust tube size is in direct relation to the displacement. Bigger pipes don't equate to faster exhaust gases, big pipes on a small displacement motor equates to slower exhaust, believe it or not. The idea is not to rely on the motor's exhaust stroke to push out the gases, but rather, create a suction.
Headers play more of a roll in HP/TRQ than exhaust does... nobody can see the headers so they're not as cool looking. :)

FI is a different story: the exhaust prior to the compressor will have just as much of an effect on HP/TRQ than the exhaust after the compressor, often times more.

Okay, I'm finished. :)

B-
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

You're a bum, Topher? Cool!