Meet your new friend, Mr. Flashlight

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Turn the flashlight on, yeah! That makes sense! Then try to beat the badguy that is shooting fireballs at you by pounding on him with the flashlight. You will never try that again after then first attempt.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

STRESSTEST wrote:lol
so, i'm like, screwed, huh? :?

:wink:
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Played a few hours yesterday -- it screams "System Shock" all over it, nice :) And Krom, I tried that by accident and assigned "select shotgun" to my n52 immediately after that.. Also bashed somes guys head in w/ it -- to have that guys clawing at my back after a while (w/o head..). Always shoot the bad boys ;)
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Marty, your just not going to be playing on that system.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

man... section two with those damn spiders... I missed the lift and got gang raped...
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Sorry about making the flame-ish posts. I was just getting a little fed-up with the constant hype and discussion about the game. I'm sure that, for people who like that type of thing, it's a really revolutionary and fun game. All right, that's enough of my derailing of this topic :).
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

I agree, on all parts
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

chainsaw sucks ass
plasma rifle is bad ass, i <3 it so much
the BFG9K is just sick
the Soul Cube is so f up.

but i notis this today
ok every thang cast shadows but how come u dont cast one, cause to me that kinda takes the mood out of it
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

You do cast one:

Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Top Gun wrote:Sorry about making the flame-ish posts. I was just getting a little fed-up with the constant hype and discussion about the game. I'm sure that, for people who like that type of thing, it's a really revolutionary and fun game. All right, that's enough of my derailing of this topic :).
Dude, you haven't even played it. All your comments are completely without merit. What you did is the same as saying a particular movie sucks without having seen it or that this particular book sucks without having read it. If you play it, and don't like it, fine, but don't get down on it without having tried it.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Top, I was just playing Doom3 when I ran into this guy who said he heard you thought that Doom3 sucked. After a little talking to with my chainsaw he was ready to show you how much fun Doom 3 can be! Look for yourself :)

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

That guy seems to be ready for prison also :P
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

Arch wrote:You do cast one:
humm odd it doesnt do it on mine
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

turn your details up
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

/me manically runs around with chainsaw hacking demons and zombies to bits and laughing hysterically.
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Krags
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Krags »

Arch wrote:You do cast one:
What about feet? Can you see your own feet, or do you have to look in a mirror to do that?
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

To be honest I wasn't really spooked by the early parts of the game. Yeah it was creepy in some spots but I've played quite a few FPS's so it was nothing new.

Tonight I reached Delta Labs, and that was probably the most tense I've been while playin a PC game. I'm impressed by how the game keeps you constantly on edge, and it really gets creepy when the room you just entered gets quiet, with a voice cackling somewhere in the distance. Outstanding.

Krags: no feet.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

STRESSTEST wrote:turn your details up
i have it set at Ultra or what ever the highest is.

i know certen lights will do it but not all of them, and iv tryed it on my frends system and he has a 5950U so i dont know but aney who im getting close to the end and for thoes that hasent gone to hell yet all i can say is its a f'en trip
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

War, you can turn it on manually in single player by going into the console (ctrl+alt+~) and typing "seta g_showplayershadow 1." This will turn it on permanmently.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Is it just me or does anyone else really really really hate using those damn elevators (lifts)? I hate those damn things, something always jumps me. Now, for ones that go down anyway, I lower the lift, hop off and toss some grenades down first, then I call it back up and head down.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Once you get the chainsaw, enemies that come to you arent as much of a problem anymore, you just instakill them with the saw and you are done.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

well i beat it during lunch and OMG to me the enging sucks ass. but thats just me
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Do you have to kill 4 Commander Keens hanging around the exit switch? :P
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Man, if you guys don't have 5.1 sound you are totally missing out. I'm running a set of Klipsch 4.1 speakers and I was totally bummed when I got Doom3 because it said it couldn't turn on surround sound because it "couldn't find surround sound speakers." Apparently 4.1 speakers isn't close enough. I'm fine with a phantom center channel but apparently id is not.

Anyway, I went over to BestBuy and picked up a cheap set of Altec Lansing 2.0 speakers, bought a mono-stereo adapter, and cobbled them together to make a decent center channel. Now I can turn on 5.1 sound in Doom3 and the difference is enormous!
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

Arch all u really needed to do is if u have XP go in to the speeker setup and tell it u have 5.1 cause i have 4.1 and all it does it merg my 2 front speeks to make the 5th chan
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Tried that, no dice. With the Audigy2 there is no merging of channels, I would be SOL without the middle speaker.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

got the game friday...played all night....my girl went to a wedding today...i killed zombies all day..

this game is as tetrad said.. "crazy"
its like being in the movie.

Ive always wanted a game that actually looked like some of the intros to most games. Its always the same story...the graphics in the intro are awesome and then you get dumped in the game and it looks like xbox graphics.

This is the game that lets you play the intro.

freakin awesome
:D
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

Put it this way, I bought Doom3 on release day at full price. I haven't done that since Descent3...

I was definately NOT disappointed.

Just in case anyone cares, I run just fine @ 1024x768 High detail on an AMD XP 1800+ w/768 mb RAM and a GF4-ti 4400.

The game insists on medium if you try to autodetect. I imagine this will have some impact after I get further into the game.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

whats "full price"?...i bought mine at frys, the box says 54...i payed 43.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

I paid $20 after a $5 coupon and a $35 gift card, woot!
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

Man!! The game didn't spook me at first, but now, there are times in which I have to exit out, have some coffee or tea or watch TV just to settle my nerves before hopping back in. Some parts of this game are just freaky. Just made it to hell too. Yeesh!

It's funny when a door closes behind me. I'll whip around so fast it isn't even funny. I about lost it when I was traveling up a hallway and a demon busted up through the damn floor without warning. Thank god my rectum has emergency lock systems in place. To hell with underwear, I would have had to buy a new chair after that one.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

ROFL!
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

*JBOMB* wrote:whats "full price"?...i bought mine at frys, the box says 54...i payed 43.
it means sticker price @ 54 plus tax... equals just about 60 bux. Duh :p

*edit*
Nice avatar Stress
*/edit*
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

environment wise from the screenshots I've seen the textures don't look very different then what you see indoors in UT2k3 or UT2k4. The characters on the other hand are vastly more detailed and from what I've heard all the environmental FX are pretty sweet.

Too bad I won't get to play it new...like so many other PC games. Sometimes technology isn't all it is cracked up to be.