I'm ranting again!

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Or you can just lob the a Fusion round down the hall and dodge one or two MD rounds while you watch them sit there like deer in the headlighs. Tho personally the best way to get someone who is camped down a hall shooting MD at you is to switch and use MD or Vauss against them, nothing else gets them moving faster. I love that instant of hesitation where they freeze up after you fire a MD round instead of the Fusion round they were expecting.

Oh yeah, page++ & postcount++
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

A better question is what a weapon like the Mass Driver is even doing in a cramped level liks Pyroglyphic. And, in addition, can a level really become popular in this community without the Mass Driver?
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

nearly all of the favored levels by the skilled players out there have no md. could a level be popular with the "average" player without md? nah, probably not.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

That or the MD in levels that skilled pilots prefer is modified to be less dominant. Take otherones levels for instance, when you think about it, MD is treated more like a secondary weapon in those levels rather then a primary.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Gee, I said something stupid and completely wrong, but it generated some very interesting discussion.

/me pats myself on the back.

AND I'm dense enough to argue: in a level like skybox back in the day when it was really crowded in there, was it just my suckitude that made it seem like it would be really tough to use an MD? Was MD in there? I know I'm a dilletante compared to you wisemen of D3, but was/is MD in skybox? And what about that little tiny level where you spawned in the green hall with all the weapons. Tiny! What was that called, and was there any MD in there? Remember it was always packed with people? My alzheimers is kickin in and I can't remember its name.

Gaming for me is like math, I really love it but I have absolutely no natural talent for it. I'm thinking I did something really perversely wrong in a past life.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

The argument is that for the average player a level needs MD or lots of 2ndaries, not necessarily both. Skybox has Loads of 2ndaries.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Heh

I used to suck because I used loads of secondaries.

Now I suck because n00bs kill me with secondaries waaaay too often.

The stages of suckness I go through baffle the mind.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Heh, I suck because I use Fusion + Any secondary for kills often. :P
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Krom wrote:Heh, I suck because I use Fusion + Any secondary for kills often. :P
cheap :roll:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Secondary weapons are fine in moderation, but Nysa/Athena/etc had quite enough, thank you.

I'm sure average players can kill each other without six high-powered secondary weapons per ship. It'll just take longer. Only thing to worry about is what happens when our old friend the 'skilled pilot' turns up...

But hey, they're going to clean up anyway.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Unix wrote:
Krom wrote:Heh, I suck because I use Fusion + Any secondary for kills often. :P
cheap :roll:
Um...what's cheap at all about that? I do the same thing myself (when I'm able to get a kill, that is :P). Both Fusion and secondaries are weapons included in D3, and they're every bit as valid as one of your precious Super Laser dogfights. I'm a tunnel rat at heart; I generally don't like long dogfights. As far as I'm concerned, use whatever tactic works for you, and use it often.