Halo the movie screenplay in the works!! :D

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

odd, you double posted, 40 minutes later :P
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

lol, I saw that. It gives me some weird error message so I go back and hit submit again :P Apparently it shows an error message but it actually submits the reply.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

By the way Tyranny, I'll bet you figure HL2 has more story than a 40-60+ hour game, right? :D

Hate to spread the truth around but 8-12hours < 40-60+ hours.

I'm sorry but HL2 didn't really do anything for me. It was like quake but you could drive a couple of cheesy vehicles and use a gravity gun. WOW!!

It was pretty and semi-ok but nothing that great.

We are talking about HL2 anyway. Not HL, I can't say anything about that game yet.

Yet the AI in Dues Ex feels about the same as it does in HL2. Interesting....

So, bugs can jump out of the ground, guard shoot you and duck behind corners, manhacks will run into fences repeatedly as you watch and laugh at them... zombies will walk around with their arms up in the air bumping into stuff, headcrabs will leap in the air.... next! :D

I don't mean to rip on HL2 guys. Sure, it was an ok game and all. The physics were an awsome example of something new in the game industry, the characters were ok but would have been better with some subtitles or something, the guns were cool, it had a lot of nifty traps and physics puzzles. But as far as the plot-line went, it really didn't have that much beef to it. I understood the plot line. I've read many websites about it and I guess it just didn't hit the spot with me.

Other than the neat traps and gravity gun, it was a rather standard game really....

Another game that is over Half Life 2 is the MGS series. They didn't do it in the same way, yet you liked the characters...

Also, considering I would rather play games with people I know rather than people I could care less about on the internet, I guess HL2 also didn't really hit the spot their either. I would rather pull a couple buddies over, grab some soda and do some co-op or a fun little team game. You know... the real world. :D

Sure, Half Life is ok if your into Half Life 2, but I didn't really see anything so special about it or the meathod that it used to tell a story.

Some people liked the Grudge and thought it was scary while I fell asleep and thought it was stupid.

Some liked the Ring... I thought it was stupid and also boring...

Some people thing The Beatles were great and I thought they were stupid with the acception of some of their songs. I thought they made better song writers than singers. I prefer Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, the Beegees and Abba over the Beatles or the Monkeyes or the Rolling Stones or Kiss anyday. :)

Some like Soul, Jazz and/or rap. I hate it. I like electronic music, heavy metal and oldies. :D

Just my opinion folks. But bear in mind, Halo sold dayumn good and personally I thought the novels were great. :) I would certainly see a Halo or Descent film over Episode 3. :D
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I don't really remember a game actually showing the enemies side of the story and having the enemy and the humans join together to fight a bigger common enemy?
Marathon

wait, thats a FPS too!

if you get that 406 page, hit refresh rather than repost.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Interesting find. Never played Marathon. Also created by BUNGIE though. :D

You know, the same Bungie who created Halo. :D

So, yeah, it probably would have factors like that used.

You could also say that Half Life 2 told its story simular to Half Life 1.

I would also add this note: The Descent community loves UT correct?

Well, ID Soft did it first with Quake. :D

Not to mention Halo had the vehicles down before UT2004 did.

So, you could look at it any way you want really. Just depends on what game you like better. Me, I loved the way Halo plays out. I also love Dues Ex's story or KOTOR's story over both Halo or HL2.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

mob-messenger wrote:Interesting find. Never played Marathon. Also created by BUNGIE though. :D
thats like saying the Rare that created DKC for the snes is the same Rare that MS bought...
mob-messenger wrote:You could also say that Half Life 2 told its story simular to Half Life 1.
Like Halo 2 told its story in the same manner has Halo, whats your point?

And tribes got the vehicals things long before anything else.
mob-messenger wrote:I don't really remember a game actually showing the enemies side of the story and having the enemy and the humans join together to fight a bigger common enemy?
now that I've thought on it for a bit, System Shock 2. There are a lot of surprising plot simularities between Halo and SS2 ...
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

noob-messenger wrote:Yet the AI in Dues Ex feels about the same as it does in HL2. Interesting....
Dude, the AI in Deus Ex was terrible. Its impossible to compare the two.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

fliptw wrote: thats like saying the Rare that created DKC for the snes is the same Rare that MS bought...
Yes but Bungie are the same developers who created Halo. They were simply funded by Microsoft. :)
fliptw wrote: Like Halo 2 told its story in the same manner has Halo, whats your point?
Bungie made both Marathon and Halo.
fliptw wrote: And tribes got the vehicals things long before anything else.
Never really had an interest in Tribes. I thought RF came before Tribes didn't it?

fliptw wrote:now that I've thought on it for a bit, System Shock 2.
Might have a point there. But it is still a rarety. Never played SS2 anyway.

Either way, Halo still did it with a certain fluidity that I haven't seen. A certian feel that I do not feel in other games that made it much more fun. Just the atmosphere... though cheesy, was a lot of fun and felt somehow solid as apposed to other games.

The story was still very well written. This post isn't about the game, it is more about the novel-to-movie. Thus the novels would be a better way to approach it anyway.

Most of you probably never read the novels correct? Probably those who read them would like to see a film made. :)

The novels were actually very good. The game would not be complete without them. The vision is actually very interesting if you read the whole thing.

Most of the story is probably within the books. So a movie that is based on the books would be fantastic. I wouldn't suggest one based on the game itself. But the stories within the books were still better than the story told in HL2 in my opinion. That's why there is 900 pages of it. :D
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Vindicator wrote:
noob-messenger wrote:Yet the AI in Dues Ex feels about the same as it does in HL2. Interesting....
Dude, the AI in Deus Ex was terrible. Its impossible to compare the two.

Throw a box at a guy and he will get ticked, shoot a guy in your own building and you get the entire military coming down on your head, steal a guy scandy bar and he will get after you, move a guys office around and he will get after you, walk in the men's room and your boss will yell at you when you go in for a breifing. :D

HL2, you can do anything you want and a guard won't shoot you. Hell, they will march in a straight line out of a building and I will just plow through one right after the other.

Only cool part in that game, the rocket launcher and the big war of the worlds tripod things. :) Those were pretty cool but the rest of the game felt like Dues Ex AI.

I even noticed that the big dog-zombie things would charge at you and when they ran into you, they just sat there still running in the same position trying to bite your legs or something... I also loved how the sounds for them running on top of buildings were usually on top of the wrong building....

I at least expected that when they jump on you that you fall over. I mean, there was a lot left to be desired with all the hype its physics engine got. Why is it that when a dog zombie jumps off the top of a building onto you, that you don't even budge and he seems to bite you while running in the same spot? Neat...
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

mob, i dont know what youre talking about.

one of the ★■◆●ing scariest moments in Half Life 2 for me was in ravenholm, where those fast zombie things were chasing me. i baricaded the door so they wouldnt get through, and then they burst in through a window.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Interesting find. Never played Marathon. Also created by BUNGIE though
Heh. I was excited about Halo 1 before it came out, because it was made by the same people who made Marathon.

Marathon 2 owned. I don't know if fliptw is right about it not being the same workers on the game, but I can tell you that the two games are very very similar. Halo ~= Marathon 3.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Vertigo 99 wrote:mob, i dont know what youre talking about.

one of the ****ing scariest moments in Half Life 2 for me was in ravenholm, where those fast zombie things were chasing me. i baricaded the door so they wouldnt get through, and then they burst in through a window.
Heh, all I saw were ugly polygons :D

HL2 didn't really scare me at all. I mostly had an occasional laugh when I played through that part.

Course a lot of people claimed that Aliens, the Grudge, or The Ring were scary too and I just mostly found them as stupid.

Doom 3 made me feel a bit queezy. Not scared. Just gross heh.

Now the doggy-zombies were scary the first time I saw them but after they were reveiled and they started humping my leg I sort of just started to crack up. :D

Actually, seems like I did barracade the door but I had managed to scale about every building with the big saw blade. I also broke off one of the fan traps with the duel blades on it so I had a couple toys handy. Also kept lots of exploding barrels and gas tanks.

I think it was only once that a couple of them broke through the windows. Woo?

They lasted about a half-second.

I really enjoyed getting all of 'em to walk in a line with the big fan in my G-Gun though. I have to admit that was pretty fun watching a whole line of zombies get sliced in half.

You could probably script those zombies dropping in from the roof couldn't you? I may have to play through that mission sometime again when I'm bored.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Know what, I was going to say something else. But in truth, I have better things to do than argue. I could sit here for months fighting over this and it would never end.

I have my opinions, you have yours.

You thought HL2 was the greatest game ever made. I thought it sucked. I also don't think Halo was the greatest game ever made but I enjoyed it better than HL2. I did think HL2's technology was quite impressive though. I never really felt anything for the game at all accept bored and I played until the end but you wouldn't even make it through the second mission of Halo. I also read all the novels and enjoyed them probably as much or more than the game.

Sure, in HL2's story, Earth was allready taken over.

Halo, humans have colonised a large number of planets and have massive fleets and an army of Spartans. They all get wiped out within the first book. Accept for one planet, Earth, one spartan, Master Cheif, and one ship, The Pillar Of Autumn that got axed in the game. :) Halo was probably the only FPS game I ever REALLY liked other than Dues Ex.

But all in all. I guess we all have different views on things.
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BigSlideHimself »

mob-messenger wrote:
Course a lot of people claimed that Aliens, the Grudge, or The Ring were scary too and I just mostly found them as stupid.
Think Aliens is stupid? Ok, first off it's not and isn't Halo basically a knock-off of Aliens anyway?
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

mob-messenger wrote:
Vertigo 99 wrote:mob, i dont know what youre talking about.

one of the ****ing scariest moments in Half Life 2 for me was in ravenholm, where those fast zombie things were chasing me. i baricaded the door so they wouldnt get through, and then they burst in through a window.
Heh, all I saw were ugly polygons :D

You could probably script those zombies dropping in from the roof couldn't you? I may have to play through that mission sometime again when I'm bored.
ive played it twice through, and its not scripted - they determine the best way to enter, and if you barricade it, that means through the window.

and if you saw them as "ugly polygons" maybe its time to get a new computer.

and yea, this argument is stupid, because we're argueing with someone that thinks that Aliens is stupid :roll:

btw, i dont think hl2 is the best game ever. i think kotor1 is the best ever, with hl2 in a VERY close second. just a correction.

p.s. i beat BOTH halo's
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

I just remembered something!

Get lives.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Beowulf wrote:I just remembered something!

Get lives.

I'm sorry, Beowulf recently escaped from out facility, though no REAL threat, he just doesn't get it. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We return you now to your reguarly schedueled debate.

:wink:
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

mob-messenger wrote:HL2, you can do anything you want and a guard won't shoot you. Hell, they will march in a straight line out of a building and I will just plow through one right after the other.
Not true. All you have to do to see this is play the first level. When you first get off the train in City 17 theres a guard standing next to some luggage. If you pick up a bottle and throw it at him he'll come after you with a taser.

And you probly didnt notice, but in Deus Ex many of the bad guys had a tendency to run into walls or run in circles.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Beowulf wrote:Get lives.
... he said, writing on a board dedicated to a 10-year-old video game.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

True enough Lothar, but it seems people here are only just beginning to start asking themselves whether there is any point debating this. Quoting from an admin from a different forum... "If you like or dislike an idea, post why you feel that way and let it lie. If you cannot post your position in a single post, and need 20 to get it across, then your position is flawed to begin with."
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Which is why I stopped posting. I've already made my point and for some reason messenger feels the need to defend his position upon every reply. I'm not dissing any game. All of the games listed in this thread are quality games in their own way and appeal to different types of gamers.

The brick wall has a voice and it won't stop hitting the reply button. :P messenger, as for that error while posting...did you even bother reading the sticky posted by Topher? If not I suggest you read my post in there.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Well, Aliens was a good action flick. :) Just wasn't that scary. A bunch of my friends were telling me how it is SOOO scary. So I watched it and didn't even jump once. The dream the lady had at the beginning was probably the only scary point I ever found in that movie heh. It was ok though.

Actually my puter is just fine.

GeForce Ti4200
AMD Athlon XP 1.26 GHz
512MB of RAM
Windows XP Service Pack 2
17" Flatscreen monitor running at 1200X1024 resolution at all times.
Aerocool case with about 5 different fans running. in it and a nice ventalation system. One of the fans is a front fan too.

I need to update to a couple gigs of RAM before I move though. :D

I also have a special mod that allows me to see some of things my video card isn't supposed to see.

I see almost every game as ugly polygons though. They have just improved a lot over the years. BTW, I am speaking as a 3D artist. They did a really good job with it but I can't become affraidof any 3D model. I can always see the zipper on the back. :D

Sure, they are getting considerably better but we still have a long time to go before I stop sayiing that I can see the zipper on the back. :D
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

GeForce Ti4200
AMD Athlon XP 1.26 GHz
512MB of RAM
Windows XP Service Pack 2
17" Flatscreen monitor running at 1200X1024 resolution at all times.
Aerocool case with about 5 different fans running. in it and a nice ventalation system. One of the fans is a front fan too.
That runs HL2 well? I know I have shitty tweaking skillz; but I beat you, slightly, in every category and it just ran ok...pretty bad in some areas actually. (I only played the demo tho, not sure if full runs better.) I didn't get the game based on the performance.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Shouldn't be too horrible. The HL2 demo didn't exactly look -bad- on my machine, and that's a P3 667 with 256 MB of RAM and a Radeon 7500.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Sirius wrote:Shouldn't be too horrible. The HL2 demo didn't exactly look -bad- on my machine, and that's a P3 667 with 256 MB of RAM and a Radeon 7500.
Exactly and a GeForce 4 is pretty close to a 7500 if I remember correctly. :)

Ran without a hitch on my system.

You should check for trojans Goob. :D

My system is constantly checked.

The loading time is a tad bit slow but once it is loaded, there are a couple seconds of skipping and it goes back to normal and runs just fine. :D

All the graphics load just fine though.

Now, look at the zombies faces very closely and you will see what I mean. Notice the eye sockets on the skulls. Yup, flat surfaces with really nice textures placed over them to fool you. The suckets are a plain flat surface painted to look nice. Now, if I had modeled that face on an engine like that, you would see depth to the eye sockets and a few intestines between the severed halves. :) I also would have added the nose holes. The faces were nice and smooth on the humans but on the zombies they just didn't look right. They probably left that out because they figured the skull area wasn't as important since you have the head crab over it most of the time but if you pop the hood and shine a flashlight on it, you can see it plain as day.

I spot these things fairly easily. I also know that at the end of D3, MD-1032 flys a Pyro-GL and in a couple of breif shots in the movie you see that the HUD and cockpit are the same ones used in the GX, you even get a glimps of a picture of the GX in the center of the HUD!!

It isn't a mistake per-say but that explains why. Computer generated characters in general don't really scare me.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

did you have models set on low or something? im pretty sure they're holes in higher graphix settings. anyway, whether they are or not, they fooled me.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Ah, messenger... you're forgetting that each of those zombies becomes (or has the potential to become) a ragdoll, as does every other enemy. So what if the eye sockets are well-painted textures? That little bit of extra processing power can be used to process physics information or whatever.