BP of A?????

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

Krom wrote:The larger burden of responsibility is on the people who pushed safety to the side in order to try and save a buck. It's not like they would have gone bankrupt by keeping safety a priority.

Tried this earlier and got a debug error upon submission, at least that's what SHE said.

The burden should also be upon the regulators and a few hundred envirowhackos for refusing to allow U.S. to drill in shallower depths.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Here's a write up on the current work being done for the LMRP deployment.

Follow the pics and the links down through the thread comments. They (finally) managed to get the bulk of the riser pipe sheared off. As I'm typing this (21:46 CT), the live ROV feed is showing the diamond wire saw working to cut through the riser pipe on top of the BOP. Pretty amazing stuff.

This is BP vp Kent Wells describing the next set of planned steps.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Dissent, I was watching the live feed last night when they cut off that main section of bent over pipe with those huge shears in preparation for the final straight cut on top of the blowout preventer. It's kind of fascinating to watch what they're doing 5000 feet under the ocean with robots. I really hope BP can get most of this oil because the flow rate is REALLY going to increase when they do that final straight cut on top of the blowout preventer.

Krom, the fox was guarding the hen house, as usual.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/25/oil.sp ... index.html
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

ImageImage
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

ahhh!!!! the Linkstorm!!!!

Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Bet51987 wrote:
Grendel wrote:Click.
What was the purpose of that link? Do things like this turn you on?

Bee
What?

That is a bird from the spill. I saw it on CNN this morning. Grendel doesn't typically post things flippantly.

Bird count was about average. 200+ or so. Personally, I think that south American deforestation is doing more "Eco-damage" than this spill. .. but that's old news.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Bet51987 wrote:
Grendel wrote:Click.
What was the purpose of that link? Do things like this turn you on?

Bee
That picture speaks for itself. Your interpretation is interesting to say the least.

The title BTW translates to "The Face of Death".
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Surely you are not asking me to feel sorry for an animal that possesses flight but has not the brain power to avoid landing in muck.

We should more worry about the economic devastation of the people who's lives are dependent on the critters of the deep to provide an income for them and theirs.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Seems to me it's another aspect of the whole disaster, and a very graphic one at that. I don't see why people are taking issue with the picture.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

And too bad as many folks don't act that way toward other people.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Bee, I'm behind Grendel 100% for posting that link and I don't think he was being flip about it. That particular picture is THE most pathetic suffering bird picture that's been taken during this whole disaster. People need to see this suffering up close, even if it is only of a single bird. For that one that's shown, there are probably hundreds or even thousands we don't see dying in this muck. We definitely aren't seeing those marine animals swimming through the subsurface oil cloud that are a dying under water either. Maybe if people had more compassion for animals, we wouldn't get THIS kind of compassionate court decision.

Crush Videos and the Supreme Court
AlphaDoG wrote:Surely you are not asking me to feel sorry for an animal that possesses flight but has not the brain power to avoid landing in muck.

We should more worry about the economic devastation of the people who's lives are dependent on the critters of the deep to provide an income for them and theirs.
AlphaDoG, how in the hell can a bird tell what's oil and what's water or even soil BEFORE they land on it! They've never seen the likes of it before! Their feathers are very absorbent, so once they even touch it, they're screwed. But you do make a very good point. All the people that make their livelihood from the Gulf now have no way to make a living. Maybe BP should pay for their social welfare for as long as it takes to either clean up the Gulf or for nature to finally come back, which will probably be for a least a decade. It's the human thing they could do for them. If they can afford 50 million for buffing up their image with slick TV ads and forking out potentially huge dividend payouts to shareholders, they can afford to help people in the Gulf and clean up the mess they made.

Obama Warns BP
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

People do NOT get me wrong. I indeed am sympathetic to the plight of the animals that will die due to the exposure of the oil. However I am of the mindset that PEOPLE are more important than animals, so my sympathies are more aimed at them.

Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea, people are going to lose their incomes…the animals are only going to “die” in very cruel & horrible ways.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

What Price Pelican?

Some food for thought here, in both the article and the comments.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

So just out of curiosity Dissent, which oil company do you work for?
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

I work for BP, but I'm not qualified to be a spokesperson, nor do I play one on TV. I'm in downstream Chemicals R&D; when it comes to upstream operations, I'm just an interested bystander.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

Feels like something is tugging at our legs here.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

dissent wrote:I work for BP, but I'm not qualified to be a spokesperson, nor do I play one on TV. I'm in downstream Chemicals R&D; when it comes to upstream operations, I'm just an interested bystander.
I hope they don't give you stock shares for benefits... although I'm sure it'll recover in a year or two. :P
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

It’s beginning to look a lot like BP is far more concerned with getting production out of the well, instead of capping it.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

I'll be really surprised if BP doesn't just plug and abandon the Macondo well after the kill well(s) are completed. It's just public relations plutonium at this point. As for processing what they're collecting now, that just seems to me to be the most environmentally responsible thing to do with it - the alternative is just burning it or doing surface landfill, both of which have their own set of problems on this scale. Dedicate what you make from this oil to a special fund for coastal clean-up, redevelopment, etc. As it is, what they make from processing this will be dwarfed by the 10-15 billion dollar (or more) hole this is going to blow in BP's balance sheet.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Spidey wrote:It’s beginning to look a lot like BP is far more concerned with getting production out of the well, instead of capping it.
I think the only proven method for stopping these blow outs is to create an alternative port and start removing the oil...it's the pressure that has the oil spewing out so relieving the pressure, by the means BP does best....drill/pump.... is perhaps their best effort and probably the right thing to do.

Screw the public relations, half of the world is going to always blame them for everything bad to do with oil from now until someone bigger makes a bigger mess no matter what they do (Exxon is now relieved of that title). How much do you want to bet the next round of look-alike movies out of Hollywood has 'Big Oil' as the bad guys....
I'd suggest to BP that they keep making the obligatory apologies and keep cleaning up their mess while they continue to suck every drop of oil out of the ground they can and keep on keeping on until they can't find anymore oil or get any more leases on places to drill.

It is what it is and stopping what you do well to wrestle in the mud hole with politicians is no way to live or work. Politicians are such evil bastards that they make greedy corporations look like over zealous girl scouts pimping their cookies. So F 'em.

As for the sudden, and quite temporary ecological warriors, go prove a viable alternate form of energy before you come whining to me about tar balls! Until then it's all bull★■◆● and we all still need to get to work in our carbon machines in the morning.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

LOL Bee's reminds me of that pitbull the neighbors have tied up under the porch. Just lays there looking harmless till you get to close to it, then it runs full blast to the end of it's chain trying to attack you. You always make me smile Bet.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Bet51987 wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:As for the sudden, and quite temporary ecological warriors, go prove a viable alternate form of energy before you come whining to me about tar balls! Until then it's all ***** and we all still need to get to work in our carbon machines in the morning.
Sometimes you sound really stupid, and this is one of those times.

Bee
And you are going to fill your tank up with what....vouchers from cap and trade? Maybe just some pure old 'hope and change'? I think there is a lot of that left over!

Keep listening and watching your chosen leaders and let us know when they offer a viable alternative and when they return all that oil lobby money they have in their campaign accounts. Lol, don't hold your breath though!
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

Will Robinson wrote: Maybe just some pure old 'hope and change'? I think there is a lot of that left over!
yeah, and its energy density is considerably less than even wind power, which isn't saying much.

I seem to remember that Fred Flintstone had a car with a low carbon footprint ...
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Heretic »

dissent wrote:
Will Robinson wrote: Maybe just some pure old 'hope and change'? I think there is a lot of that left over!
yeah, and its energy density is considerably less than even wind power, which isn't saying much.

I seem to remember that Fred Flintstone had a car with a low carbon footprint ...
Depends on how much carbon made up Fred.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Now why do you suppose they did this, a TFR over the oil spill area? To keep out snoopy journalists for their own protection?

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_5096.html

BP keeps denying underwater plumes of oil in the press. How about underwater plumes of oil snot!

http://www.aolnews.com/gulf-oil-spill/a ... l/19509438

Now I've know from discussions here that many want to put the blame on the consumer for this oil mess and I accept that everyone that uses oil in some form or another in this country carries some share of the blame.

However, BP IS the responsible party that allowed and promoted the cost and corner cutting with their procedures and practices on that rig. Instead of making sure that safe work practices were followed so that no one was hurt, killed or caused equipment failures, BP focused more on profit and shareholder gain, not safety and rushed things. They're also guilty of putting the desire to drill in deeper and deeper water without any backup plans for major equipment failures and/or oil spills at that depth. Drill first, leave the cleanup to someone else.

Their contingency plans consisted of nothing new or reliable to solve the problem. So now we see the fruits of greed and cost cutting. Also, a lot of the blame should be put on the government for lax regulation and enforcement that allowed this to happen in the first place. I blame Obama for not fixing this:

CHENEY'S FOLLY
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

TopCat, your desire to post the \"Cheney's folly\" piece is a symptom of the real problem which is a government failure from the roots up problem...not a the wrong guys were in charge for a while problem but now the right guys are in power.

They want you to react to this the way you did, from their perspective and illinformed instead of focusing on governments failures you selectively get outraged at only one party.

Al Gore the father of all things environmentally good in government should be the antithesis to the evil dark lord Cheney, right?
Yet if you look into [uurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occidental_Petroleum]his involvement[/url] with big oil you start to think he may be Cheney's big brother!

Your reaction does more to carry the water for one of the two big corrupt teams in government and ensures the status quo remains intact than it does to bring about reform.
Please think twice before you go and pour fuel on the fire you are trying to put out!
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

(How to Start Re-thinking) How to Prevent Deepwater Spills.

Will be interesting to look back at this incident two years hence and see if any progress was made.

yeah, this kind of reaction is really going to help solve the problem
http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-bp-rage-m ... 3229.story
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Two years from now this well may still be gushing.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Oh boo hoo, cry me a river! I'm soooo sorry that all those Brit retirees might lose their precious pensions. I've got a suggestion, if they want to make some money to supplement their retirement, they can all just hop on a boat, come over here and help clean up their precious company's mess! Or better yet, give up their income to all of those who USED to make their living in the Gulf and are now going broke.

Tough S**T!
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

So I bet you wouldn't complain one bit if your pension was being messed with by a foreign entity would you.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I wish people would stop calling this thing an “oil spill” you are confusing the poor president, and now he is talking like the well is capped and the worst is over.

Oil spills don’t go on for months, with no end in sight. :wink:

Yea, you can split hairs, but I think you get the point.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

tunnelcat wrote:Oh boo hoo, cry me a river! I'm soooo sorry that all those Brit retirees might lose their precious pensions. I've got a suggestion, if they want to make some money to supplement their retirement, they can all just hop on a boat, come over here and help clean up their precious company's mess! Or better yet, give up their income to all of those who USED to make their living in the Gulf and are now going broke.

Tough S**T!
You seemed to care quite a bit about people losing their retirement funds when Enron's collapse unfolded. Why so selective?