Final Fantasy 11

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Final Fantasy 11

Post by JMEaT »

Does anyone play this? I'm thinking of geting it and giving it a shot. Never played a MMORPG before, but everyone I talk to says its fun.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

i hear its prity cool ptiry hard but seeing people thats on the pcversion in the game is kinda kreepy :P

there releaseing the PS2 HDD with it incase u didnt know :)
Whitewater
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Whitewater »

I play it and have been since the day it was released in teh US. It's amazing and I'll continue to play it till the servers get shut down. Graphics are superb, storyline is pretty good and there are months worth of quests and extras to do. Not to mention that the party aspect is really cool, espcially at higher levels
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Just bought this game the other day, planning on playing the hell out of it during spring break.

Here's a tip, if you get the PC version you owe it to yourself to get a dual-shock-esque USB gamepad (I use the Saitek P880). The game was designed to be played with this sort of device. The PC controls just aren't that intuitive, and if you're spending the amount of time I am on the game you'll find it much easier just to lean back in the chair with the gamepad and just chill while you're waiting to walk from place to place.

I haven't played any other MMOs, but I'm really digging this one so far. Been 3 days or so and I'm a level 8 Red Mage. Partying early on isn't really worth it because of the experience loss, plus you don't really lose that much experience when you die. But it is more fun, and you can do harder things.

One thing I don't particularly like is that the server your character is put on is random. I spent 2 hours deleting/creating a character until I was finally put on the same server as a friend of mine who also bought the game at the same time. Not terribly fun.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

hrm

Post by Lothar »

I don't recall if this is the case for this game, but I remember someone mentioning a workaround for a similar game, where you could type in all your info, but stop one step before it assigns you to a server. Then you could just pop back and forth between that step and the "assign server" step, taking 10 seconds per try instead of 5 minutes per try.

Something similar might work here. It's too bad they don't just have a "pick the server you want to be on" setting...
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Well it doesn't take 5 minutes to create a character. Once you create it your 7 or so options are saved when you go through again so you can just breeze through it.

It's the fact that they have a mechanism in place that they wait 30 seconds after you delete your character until they actually delete it. So you have to sit there around 45 seconds-1 minute per try. I could understand why it's there, but for that particular hack it's a bit annoying.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Hmmm, I may have to pick this up. What server are you all on?
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

The one MMO I'm already playing (Puzzle Pirates) is sucking up a fair portion of my free time. I don't think I want to know the result of having TWO such games ;).
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

JMEaT wrote:Hmmm, I may have to pick this up. What server are you all on?
I'm on Fairy.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: hrm

Post by Defender »

Lothar wrote:It's too bad they don't just have a "pick the server you want to be on" setting...
They do. It's called a world pass. Just get someone you know on the server to buy one (game money). They're not expensive.

I play very regularly. J, Tet, or anyone else joins, lemme know and I'll give you guys a world pass to get on Bahamut (where i am) and i could show ya the ropes. I been playin since it came out in october.

And do yourselves a favor; get it on PC.

PS2 version's a rip off. gfx aren't as good, and you gotta pay $100 for it instead of $50.

Btw, my name is Malakite, 43 Paladin. Look me up :)

It's fun as hell, but once you get 50+ it gets a bit painstaking since you have to find lots of ppl to do certain level limit quests. But if you manage to get a good friend list going that shouldn't be a big deal.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Yea I know I'm spamming this thread, but I remembered something I thought was worth saying. The community in the game, at least all the people I've seen, is very good. There has been only maybe one person I thought was somewhat annoying, and that's after logging around 30 hours of game time. People just help you out. I saw a level 80+ white mage in the newbie area just reviving dead people for fun. A really high level black mage helped a group of 5 of us level 10 guys complete a mission that the lot of us could not have had any chance of beating on our own. And my friend told me that he met this guy who said "attack whatever you want to around here, I won't let you die". And then I turn around and return the favor. Cast Cure or Protect on random people when I'm walking from place to place. Doesn't slow me down, plus I build up my magic skills, so I really see no reason not to. Granted there's no PvP in this game, so it's pretty much everybody on the same team (until you see the 3 different nations) but even so, I'm surprized at how surprizingly civil people are.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

That's cause you're fairly low level and there's not much to compete for tet.

Once you get into the 40's and you need Race armor (RSE), AF (Artifact aka job rare specific) quests etc, it gets more competitive, people aren't quite as nice.

I try to help people out as much as I can.

I just went for my AF1 quest for my paladin and i spent ~10 real hours asking for help with it and no one responded for quite some time. Was very aggrevating. A lot of japanese players want nothing to do with the american players.

But then again theres a lot that love to help out others.

Glad you've had a good experience so far.

Oh and PVP will be out when the PS2 version is released. =\
Arran
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arran »

I play FFXI and am on Pandemonium.
Whitewater
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Whitewater »

I'm a 46Dark Knight/23 Thief On Titan Server.
RSE Done
AF1 Done
Rank 5
:)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Well I hear that after like level 30 it becomes multiplayer only, that there are no more single missions. That waiting for a party to form could take hours.... :\
Whitewater
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Whitewater »

i disagree, lvl 30 seems to be easier to get parties. Plus you will be so busy doing quests that you wont notice teh wait for exp parties.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Parties for stuff lots of people need to do isn't tough. It's the specific stuff like RSE, AF, and sometimes missions that get tough. But missions up to rank5 aren't that bad for getting parties.

Level'n parties are pretty easy to come by for most jobs.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Well, I picked up the game currently updateing 8,314 files............. it's going pretty quick. Name's JMEaT, have no clue what server I'm on. Took almost 90 minutes to set the game up.

For some reason it feels like I sold my soul :|

EDIT: I was mistaken. It is taking an additional 90 mins... Don't get this until you get broadband Warlock. :oops:
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

*looks at soul list*

no i dont see yours on here J. but would u like to be added
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Ya, if you didn't get it back when it first came out you're in for a couple hours of updates, and thats on broadband.

And J, it says what server you're on everytime you login, just look at your chat window. :P
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

how much is the monthly fee? if its more than 10 bucks, i wont bother but if not i may pick this up
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

The 1st month is free and everyting after is 12.95/mo.

I played a bit this morning. It is very overwhelming. So may options to wade through and I kept getting lost in town.

Luckily I found someone who was as lost and mad as me and we teamed up. :)

I'm a level 3 Bl.Mage.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Keep in mind you have a map dude. :)

Yea, the whole world is huge. In fact it's almost too big, as I'm getting bored with just running around everywhere.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Yeah, I was activly using the map. I think I need to start making use of the markers.

BTW, my playonline name is JMEaT and my in game name is Jmeat. I looked up Malakite on Playonline, but couldn't find you Tet.

My email address is a very long string of numbers, but the guy I was with said it is possible to change it?
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

My handle on PLO is notthebib. My character name is "Verotika" on Fairy.

You're supposed to be able to change your e-mail address during the registration process. I don't know if you can do it now. Either way nobody I know uses e-mail, they just send messages to the person.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Just found out. I'm on server "Asura".
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

12.95? christ!

if you wanted to just play for a month, you can cancel right? (no contracts?) or maybe just a few months so you dont wind up paying 100 bucks to play a game.

i loved every final fantasy game, but being poor makes 13 bucks a month to play a video game a little hard to swallow :(

is it a game that needs a controller? mouse and keys only?
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

You can cancel before your trial period is over.

You can play with the mouse keyboard, but I wouldn't recommend it. It was designed with the PS2 dual shock controller in mind, and if you were to pick it up you really should get something similar.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

sounds like an overpriced, hard to use, complicated and convuleted contract to selling your soul to Squaresoft for years and years as you get fired from your job, flunk college and have everyone shun you in real life. :roll:
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i have a nostromo n45, dual analog with tons of buttons. for some reason none of the newer games support it. whatever happened to using the default device in windows? :(

i was lookin at the logitech dual action gamepad, looks very similar to the ps2 controller. anyone have one of those? its cheap so i might just pick it up anyway, but is it a good controller?

is this game gonna totally engulf me like 7/8/10 did? (30 hours a week) :P
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

No contract.

It has a bit of a learning curve, but ask for help. (Just don't ask for money. THat's a big no no.)

Pick up the strategy guide. It has a great section for begginers.

ANd jmeat, IM Malakite :)
If you want i can get ya a world pass and help ya level a bit. You can make those 3 lvls back VERY quickly.

And yes you can change the email address.
My email is defender1@pol.com :)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I have a freind on Fenrir that is going to world pass me and power level me.

Cause I'm up to 6 now :P
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

You can't really power level in this game all that well. If you're partying with people who are higher level than you, you get much less experience than they do. It gets to the point where you sometimes don't get any experience at all if they're powerful enough.

If you really want to get some mad experience, you need to get a full party of guys within one or two levels of each other and take on very tough or incredibly tough enemies. To do that well, though, you really need a warrior, white mage, and black mage.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

OK I'm in fenrir now. A friend gave me 2000G to start with and it made leveling a lot easier. Got to lvl 5 in under 3 hours. :)
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

should be getting here tuesday :D
Whitewater
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Whitewater »

Kurupt u tool, I expect u to be on server :P. Lemme know when you start so i can get you a world pass.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

sweet, i'll let ya know
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

This game is really fun now that I know what I'm doing.

*Must resist urge to play a lot*
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

JMEaT wrote:This game is really fun now that I know what I'm doing.

*Must resist urge to play a lot*
Thanks for warning me. :)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Heh! If you guys want in I can get a world pass and let you in to Fenrir.