Windows Rapair? Missing DLLs?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Windows Rapair? Missing DLLs?

Post by Xamindar »

I have a friend's computer here that I am trying to clean out and repair. I finally finished removing all viri/rootkits (that I found), but it wasn't without damage to Windows XP. A few things do not work. The search function is \"not there\" as well as the user accounts control panel option. It is there but when I open it up the window is empty.

I'm assuming the damaged dlls and other files from the virus are no longer there and so those parts of windows are no longer functioning.

What I want to know is, can I repair this in any way? Is there an easy way to find out what files are missing?
Why doesn't it work?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Possible it was changes in the system policy configuration that caused those items to vanish, did you happen to keep a list of which viruses you removed so you can check and reverse any registry changes they have made?
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

No I didn't. Dang. I removed norton and reinstalled it some time after removing the viruses. And deleted the quarantined files.

It's probably just easier to reinstall I guess.
Why doesn't it work?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

If a simple reinstall is not effective (reinstalling keeps the registry/policy settings) you will have to remove the windows install/registry completely, it can be done without formatting, but a format is probably the best method if it comes to that.

Also, system restore can probably bring the required settings back if you have a restore point set somewhere useful, but beware, it can also restore many viruses.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

FORMAT!!!!
and hopefully you slipstreamed in SP2

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Krom wrote:Also, system restore can probably bring the required settings back if you have a restore point set somewhere useful, but beware, it can also restore many viruses.

if he uses secruity and sharing and opens up the folder that contains the restore points and the data, a virus scanner can clean them.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

I ended up just doing a restore and that fixed it. But now I need to activate it and I used my code. Why the hell does it need a freaken code to do just a restore. Gosh I hate winblows. :)
Why doesn't it work?
Sir Sam II
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sir Sam II »

Xamindar wrote:I ended up just doing a restore and that fixed it. But now I need to activate it and I used my code. Why the hell does it need a freaken code to do just a restore. Gosh I hate winblows. :)
Sounds like you restored it back before it was first activated. :)