I see....and blow up...dead people...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

I see....and blow up...dead people...

Post by Nightshade »

"NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- Seven cadavers donated to Tulane University's medical school were sold to the Army and blown up in land mine experiments, officials said Wednesday. Tulane said it has suspended dealings with a national distributor of donated bodies."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/03/10/ ... index.html
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

all my organs are going inside other people when i die. :)
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

roid wrote:all my organs are going inside other people when i die. :)
That's not terribly likely to happen unless you die in a hospital under controlled conditions with minimal damage. Like getting hit in the back on the head and eventually being taken off life support.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

hippie =P
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Tetrad wrote:
That's not terribly likely to happen unless you die in a hospital under controlled conditions with minimal damage. Like getting hit in the back on the head and eventually being taken off life support.
Or anywhere if someone is really desperate for a spare pair of testicles.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

i would to but im not allowed to :(
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

haha, typical pansies having a fit. The bodies are dead, they don't feel anything. Besides, the government is using them to test technologies that will someday be used to protect your future children. I for one, would LOVE to have my dead body go out in a blaze of glory hehe.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

Admiral Thrawn wrote:haha, typical pansies having a fit. The bodies are dead, they don't feel anything. Besides, the government is using them to test technologies that will someday be used to protect your future children. I for one, would LOVE to have my dead body go out in a blaze of glory hehe.
:roll:

its still ridiculous - and disrespectful - and yet more wasted government money.

its also pretty pathetic to see that your still preparing for wars.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

HaAG, your naivete baffles me. There's nothing disrespectful or ridiculous about it -- assuming of course that the bodies were donated for that purpose, not for medical research. If I want to donate my body to the military for landmine practice, so be it. While I do consider it unnerving that these bodies were sold to the military when they were intended for scientific research, military technology is still science, is it not? It's not like the military has no need for bodies.

And HaAG, if it weren't for America "preparing for war" you wouldn't have the ability to sit behind that computer screen and put on your holier-than-thou cap in an attempt to insult the American army. Remember your Internet History? DARPANET, as in Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency! In the same way that the Internet arose out of military need, so too could these protective boots help keep living bodies from being blown up -- either soldiers in the field or kids playing in known landmine-riddled areas.

In case you haven't noticed, America is still the world's superpower because we don't rest on our laurels. Did you hear about the simultaneous car/train bombings in Madrid today? It's not like conflict will *disappear* if we all of a sudden stop spending money on military/defense technology!
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Good onya Roid.

I'm a donor too - but after all the years of drugs, smoking and near-fatal injuries, I'm at a loss as to which bits they might possibly recover!! ;)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

fliptw wrote:
Tetrad wrote:
Or anywhere if someone is really desperate for a spare pair of testicles.
Yeah and it wouldn't really be YOUR kid.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

"America is still the world's superpower because we don't rest on our laurels"

The connection baffles me but never mind, if you think you've a trumpet then go ahead and blow.

I'm a donor too, don't give a monkies what happens to me once i'm gone.
FC
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

DC - i didnt bother to find out what a cadaver was so i figured it was a body donated for medical research.
hmm, i supose im a bit too judgmental.

still, thats your government out of $30,000 - while i still dont understand how the economy does work... does that help anyone but the uni? are the tuition fee's getting cheaper? or could that money have yet again saved US Citizens who cant afford healthcare instead of blowing up corpses.

i am aware that banning the bomb will not take away the violence. but mass producing them isnt exactly helping either, is it? the US has spent almost in the regions of $40 trillion (since the beginning, including the bomber planes; can't remember the name.)and used how many nukes? 2.
Oh, which still have effects on Japan now, and evidence shows they probably would've caved after another few weeks. but this isnt history class.

yes - i am aware that the US helped drastically to kick Hitler's ass - but that was 60 years ago. WW2 made MANY technological advances for many countries, and unfortunatly I am almost believe it was worth it.

Operation Iraqi Liberation. OIL? thats pretty much the sum of what we're looking for now. There's nothing to gain from war anymore. "Opposing" armies are still threats, but the US would and could kick anyone's ass. The only thing you gain is global penii. The US, i would suspect has top scientests, working for the US in these areas. What is to gain?

the war in the Iraq, so far is gaining up to almost $105 billion! how does that help anyone?
the citizens? like they care - civilian deaths werent even going to be monitored!

yes, i am naive, but i dont see the need for such MILITARY technology. money can go to better things.

[edited again] just to say ive changed this several times but i think this will be the final draft :P
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

HaAGen DaZS, a lot of people think the money we spent on nukes is the reason you're not speaking russian right now, either that or fighting along side your fellow europeans in 50 year old war trying to hold back the communist tide. God only knows what europe would be like right now if conventional war was the only deterent the Soviet Union faced.

Nobody can waste money like the U.S. military machine, but that doesn't mean it's all wasted.

PS: send your thank you note to Ronald Reagan ;)
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

big deal... they're dead, they don't mind!
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

heh, I drive by Tulane every day on my way to school
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I dunno, if my mom/dad/brother died and was to be used for medical research I would at least have some hesitancy if I knew the body might be sold off to the military without my knowledge. It would be nice to know that ahead of time, or even be given the option of donating my body to the military.

Or even better, for bodies where no parts are salvageable and are not needed for research, those go to the head of the "for military use" list. But at least make it public knowledge.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

cadevar is basically a corpse, "essentially" for dissection... - dictionary.com

i suppose blowin' 'em to bits is also partically dissection, right? :P

Will, that's a valid point. I was just bicthin' about the nukes in general. BUt what boils me blood is that when really very few bombs - or just plain propaganda was needed the nukes are still being mass produced.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

A really "fast" dissecting hehe
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

surely your testes arn't harvested for donations. uh... right? :shock:
i'm not perfect, they won't get much use outof my pancreas :)

i CERTAINLY don't want my body going towards military research. if i could, it'd make me really angry (ps: i'll be dead duh).
i'll be so angry, i'll be saying: "me so angr... uh... uh... BRAAAAAINS!!!"

HaAG cadavers are used to test safety things like seatbelts, ejection seats, airbags, etc.
they work better than crash dummies, coz they are so real. crash dummies are used more and more nowdays though, coz crashing dead bodies is creepy.