Overclocking

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Overclocking

Post by Battlebot »

i got a 6200 256mb agp video card a few days ago and i wanna overclock it....

normal frequencies are as follows:

clock core frequency : 385MHz
memory clock freq: 532 MHz

what is the limit to which i can clock it but still remain at a safe distance from buring my card up
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Overclocking varies from card to card, newbies should either not overclock at all, or push the autodetect button in the recent nvidia drivers. (Don't use the automatic overclocking, it changes the speed on the fly too much and eventually crashes the computer, use the auto detect option in manual overclocking.)

More advanced users will overclock in small incriments like 5 MHz at a time and test the card for artifacts or stability issues, if it passes step up another 5 MHz, if it shows artifacts or crashes, step back 5 MHz, test again and if it is stable there call that the limit.
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Immortal Lobster »

Im not sure Id reccomend OCing the 6200, the heatsink on it isnt all that great, and since it most likely uses turbo-cache, im not sure how happy the cross over with the system ram will be.
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

cant seem to increase anything....

i did the detect the optimal settings, they came our to be 421mhz core and 609mhz mem.

but for some reason when i try to click ok or apply, my system freezes and i have to cut off my power and turn it back on.

i also tried it with just a 5 mhz increase on each one but still no go.

ill call em (being BFG) tomorrow to see what they say but i'm wondering what yall think.
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

Immortal Lobster wrote:Im not sure Id reccomend OCing the 6200, the heatsink on it isnt all that great, and since it most likely uses turbo-cache, im not sure how happy the cross over with the system ram will be.
well it can be overclocked because its enabled anyway.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8124982622

plus it has a fan instead of a simple heatsink
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Battlebot wrote:i did the detect the optimal settings, they came our to be 421mhz core and 609mhz mem.

but for some reason when i try to click ok or apply, my system freezes and i have to cut off my power and turn it back on.
I'd suggest to stay away from that feature -- doesn't work very well. Any overclock needs to be tested for at least half an hour or more under full load (use a GPU benchmark in loop mode), the whimpy few seconds this tool uses cause unrealistic high OC values.
Battlebot wrote:i also tried it with just a 5 mhz increase on each one but still no go.
That could mean that this particular GPU chip is already maxed out.
Battlebot wrote:ill call em (being BFG) tomorrow to see what they say but i'm wondering what yall think.
I'd not recommend doing that -- officially you loose your warranty if you overclock the card even once. It's hard to prove, a good way of course is admitting it ;)

You may have better luck by overclocking using RivaTuner -- be warned tho that RT is not a beginners tool.
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

Grendel wrote:
Battlebot wrote:i also tried it with just a 5 mhz increase on each one but still no go.
That could mean that this particular GPU chip is already maxed out.
those settings in the screenshot are the standard clocks when my gpu isnt overclocked

edit: still same freezing deal with rivatuner
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

The card is overclocked out of the box -- the 6200 line is normally clocked 350/500 IIRC.

In general, the 6200 are pretty low-end cards. You'd be more happy w/ a 6600 (~$85) based card..
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

so return it?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

If you can. :)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

yeah a 6200 is the basic card of the 6 series. a 6600 or even a 6600GT will suit you alot better without having to OC it.

BTW: nice AceCombat4 desktop. i have that one also.
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

6600GTs are nice, if you have the caxh, go upwards to a 7300GT, theyre also beasts of a card, 7600 if youve got more cash =P

if youve got agp....errr....6600GT lol
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

after looking at your screen, make sure you hit that \"Fan Always On\" check box.
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

yeah i gots agp
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Immortal Lobster wrote:6600GTs are nice, if you have the caxh, go upwards to a 7300GT, theyre also beasts of a card, 7600 if youve got more cash =P

if youve got agp....errr....6600GT lol

or a 7800GS, thats the fastest AGP card available on the market :wink: and most likely to be the last AGP card to be produced.
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

judging by his previous purchase, I was listing cards under 150USD :P

7600GT should be available in an AGP flavor fairly soon, I believe MSI will have the first, be on the look out for that.
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

yeah, i guess ill just save money again....
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Isnt it fun :lol:
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

ill just oc my geforce 4 lol
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

your 6200, even at stock is faster then an OCed GF4 lol

even has better shader support =D
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

yeah, but its 108.98 dollars cheaper
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

the 6200 was that much? =

This is a BFG 6200 online, $44
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814143038
doesnt have the OC, but the OC isnt worth 60+ dollars

do yourself a hge favor BB, ereturn that card, complete refund, go to newegg, and buy either of these, 6800XT or the 6600, both are about in the same price range you payed for that 6200, I know bestbuy overcharges, but I think theyre going off the deep end with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130268
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130232

the 6800XT would be a lot better then the 6600 vanilla, if you see a 6600GT in your price range, cheapest Ive seen is 143, thats better then the 6800XT, but 119USD for the XT isnt bad, aand evga's warranty is kickass enough where you can mod it, unlock it to a GT (pretty sure its unlockable) and the warranty wont be voided
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

yeah i know, ive just had bad experiences with buying stuff online so I dont really trust buying off of it anymore.
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

newegg is eggselent ;)

never had a problem with them, for that matter never had an issue with mwave or zzf either. tigerdirect I had an issue with, that was easily resolved, and monarchs return policy sucks.

outside of that, youll be very safe with newegg, zzf and mwave. its well worth the money saved.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

x2 vote for newegg. i just got a XFX 68000XT 256mb GDDR3 for 142$ from them and unlocked it to a 6800GT!

it arrived 2 days early too!! 8)
Sir Sam II
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sir Sam II »

Isn't the XT faster than the GT?
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

No, the XT is a locked GT, hence unlockable with a vbios flash. and evga is one of the few companies where a bios flash doesnt void the waranty, hence why I listed 2 evgas
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Immortal Lobster wrote:No, the XT is a locked GT, hence unlockable with a vbios flash. and evga is one of the few companies where a bios flash doesnt void the waranty, hence why I listed 2 evgas

didnt take a BIOS flash for me, all i used was the new Riva Tuner with GPU Configuation abilities.

go check it out.

Riva might even beable to tweak that 6200 of yours alittle faster to match the 6600 ( non-GT Version ) i would even want to see if that 6200 has anything locked out.