Descent for Mac?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent for Mac?

Post by Firewheel »

I would like to get back into Descent, and though I've got a Windows PC, it sucks, and I've had no end to trouble with trying to make D3 run right on it- mostly because of joystick issues (Precision Pro II).

I know that there were Mac versions of Descent, but where would I find them? Any advice?
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

What kind of Mac are you wanting to run it on? The Mac port of D3 was written for OS 8/9 and would have to run in emulation mode on OSX. If you can't afford a Mac, and still want to run D3 on a stable platform, you might want to seriously consider Linux. There's plenty of people here who run D3 in Linux, and you can even use a LiveCD to test and see if your joystick will work correctly before you change a thing. As far as finding the Mac port, I had to find the Linux version on eBay, as nobody has them in stock anymore, and it's no longer in print. Check there first.

Just my two cents... plus you'd have a heck of a time finding a Mac port of D3, while we can provide you with the Linux files and a howto to install it using the Windows version you already have.

Yeah, I'm biased... what can I say, poor geeks run Linux, rich geeks run Linux on Macs ;)
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Mac is easier. =P
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

Yeah, I've already got a Mac (iBook), I wouldn't be asking about it otherwise.
WhollyCow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WhollyCow »

How new is the iBook? Will it boot directly into OS9, or is it restricted to OSX? Although D3 can be emulated in the classic environment of OSX, I don't consider it playable under those conditions. Best to play it directly in OS9.

Honestly, the Mac port of D3 is inferior to the PC version. If you've got a Windows machine with anything near the game-playing power of your iBook, stick to playing D3 on the PC. The people in this forum can almost certainly help you with your joystick issues.

Back in the day, the source of all good bits regarding Mac D3 was a web page that is archived here: http://www.planetdescent.com/d3net/mac/ . You may also want to look into the Apple Corps, the only Mac-centric D3 clan: http://macclan.net/ . They may be the best people to ask about finding a copy of the game.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

Actually, I managed to get D3 working fine on the PC today. :P See you in the mines, people! I'll be playing as Kyle319.