Mice with no balls.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Mice with no balls.

Post by Isaac »

I use the labs at school and they all seem to have mice that don't work right. They're regular MS laser usb mice that cause the arrow to move after you've stopped moving the mouse, jump very far and fast if you move a little bit, or move... while you're holding the mouse still. These things will happen once every five minutes and it drives me crazy. I used to have this problem at home but i bought a sweet logitech mouse that looks alot like sapphire wolf's avatar, and i've never had the problem again. What's wrong with these other mice?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Dust in the optical pickup or a bad mouse pad.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Or just a low-quality optical mouse.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The Microsoft Intellimouse I had seemed nice at the time... Then I got a Logitech MX510, only then did I figure out what a horrible mouse the Intellimouse optical was.

I now use a MX1000 and a G7.
N2Flames
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by N2Flames »

logitech makes good stuff. I have a logitech surround speaker system, it blows away the 3-pc Polk Audio system I had. As for the problems with the mice, I have this issue at work from time to time (I run a waterjet machine - like on American Chopper). Garnet (sand from the waterjet stream) gets everywhere, even in the bottom of the mouse where the optic sensor is. I get the exact same problems you described until I clean the heck out of it.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Grendel wrote:Dust in the optical pickup or a bad mouse pad.
nod

my mouse spazs out every few weeks, i pick it up and sure enough there's ALWAYS a hair on the lens.

so... shave your mouse.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

:D What's the fun in shaving a mouse with no balls?
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I dunno, some shaving cream? :roll:
I'm useless T_T
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

the dbb.com knows: shaving balls is risky business
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

roid wrote:
nod

my mouse spazs out every few weeks, i pick it up and sure enough there's ALWAYS a hair on the lens.

so... shave your mouse.
Or your CAT! I'm forever picking cat hair out of my mouse.

..er.. that didn't sound right..
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

That, or the surface the mouse is being used on has a fine-grained pattern or texture. With any optical mouse, that pattern interferes with its operation.

For example, my computer desk has a "wood-grain" surface, so depending on where the mouse is, and whether I move it in a direction that goes along a grain, it jumps and stutters around.
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

Most optical mice \"power down\" after a few seconds of not moving in the interest of reducing power consumption. Having the LED full-on and the CCD sampling at maximum speed takes quite a bit of power, 30ma or more depending on the mouse. The downside to this of course is, when using the mouse on a fine-grained surface, it won't always be able to track the motion properly, so its motion analysis will be horribly wrong and your cursor will go flying. This happens more with cheaper mice that have a smaller viewing area and/or lower standby sampling rate. The standby sampling rate is actually low enough on most mice that you can see the flickering if you hold the mouse upside down and shake it or look at various points around the mouse.

The high-end mice from Logitech don't go into standby; these people are making mice for the gamers in this world. I have a G5 and I absolutely love it. If you have a camera of any sort, you can lift up the mouse and look at the area under the mouse with the camera and see the laser dot.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

My brother went out and bought a Logitect MX1000 Laser Mouse, with on-the-fly adjustible resolution. I hate using it in Windows (I keep accidentally changing the DPI), but it's a dream in CounterStrike.