Steve Irwin killed by stingray!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Steve Irwin killed by stingray!

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin killed by stingray!

The probable cause of death is stingray strike to the chest.
Crikey!

Thats gotta suck. :(
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

OUCH!

Just proves the fact that one day everyone of us will die.

At least, he died while enjoying his life's work.

:roll:
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

i grew up watching him....

rest in peace man...
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

Stingray barb through the chest has GOT to suck. I wonder if there was video footage of the attack
Another Soul Korrupted
http://www.korrupted.net
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Thats too bad. But, as was said, he died doing his favorite thing. Most of us don't have that privilege.

Don't you know though, all the bookies are busy today since I'm certain a LOT of folks had bets down that a croc would get him.

Darn, I bet all the croc hunger shows and his movie are going to be on \"LONG WAIT\" at netflix now. I'll have to wait for the furor to die down and then rent them again.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Admiral Thrawn wrote:Stingray barb through the chest has GOT to suck. I wonder if there was video footage of the attack
"Wildlife documentary maker Ben Cropp, citing a colleague who saw footage of the attack, told Time.com that Irwin had accidentally boxed the animal in." - CNN

I'm sure it will show up on some shock website like Ogrish eventually.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Topher wrote:I'm sure it will show up on some shock website like Ogrish eventually.
And I hope the guy who posts it there accidently boxes in a black mamba in his shower and after being bitten reels back and falls face first into the toilet he forgot to flush and drowns in his own waste!
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Sad to see that mad Ocker cark it. :(

It was a bit predictable though wasn't it? I mean, he was never going to die of old age now was he?
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Topher wrote:I'm sure it will show up on some shock website like Ogrish eventually.
Let's hope that since the video is in the hands of people who worked with and respected Steve, they'll be able to keep it from going places they don't want it.
Mobius wrote:It was a bit predictable though wasn't it? I mean, he was never going to die of old age now was he?
Just odd that he spends his life around poisonous snakes and killer crocks and ends up being done in by something that is a very low threat to human life. But yes, I think SOMETHING along these lines was the way he expected to go.
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

My teenagers are still trying to be in denial. His shows were a big part of their childhoods.
Pilot from Oz
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I was rather surprised at this news myself, you kinda think that the people like that on TV just eventually fade out, so when something like this happens it really catches you.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

One good thing about Steve dying (If you can call it \"good\") is that The Croc Hunter will NEVER fade away. Now he's a legend, he'll always be young in people's minds, he'll always be that insane guy jumping in with a massive croc', and wrestling it.

There'll never be an aged Irwin, stumbling about the place looking too old to try doing what he used to do.

He's the James Dean of the Natural World.
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

Mobius wrote:One good thing about Steve dying (If you can call it "good") is that The Croc Hunter will NEVER fade away. Now he's a legend, he'll always be young in people's minds, he'll always be that insane guy jumping in with a massive croc', and wrestling it.

There'll never be an aged Irwin, stumbling about the place looking too old to try doing what he used to do.

He's the James Dean of the Natural World.
ill drink to that
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i would have liked to see him grow old like his dad, whos retired.
Steve wouldn't have faded out like some has-been actor, he really is (was) that energetic and excited naturally. It's no act, he really was that naturally exhuberant. He's not an actor he runs the Australia Zoo just north of here, he's primarily a naturalist.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

I'm with roid. I think it would have been interesting to watch him passing the torch on to the next generation.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Kilarin wrote:I'm with roid. I think it would have been interesting to watch him passing the torch on to the next generation.
He pretty much has.
It's really sad that he won't be here to see it. :(
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

While my condolences go to his wife and children, I have to say that I've yet to see a \"professional\" reptile handler actually handle dangerous snakes in a professional manner. Want to hunt snakes, wear snake boots and long pants. How many of the show boaters do?
Want to catch a poisonous snake? Use a special pole with a clamp made specifically for the job. Catching one by the tail, while increasing viewer ratings, is not the professional way of doing so.
So as the saying goes, \" There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots\".
Steve has born proof of the adage.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

woodchip wrote:There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots".
Steve has born proof of the adage
EXCEPT, that he didn't get killed doing any of his normal "risky" stuff. He was diving in a situation that everyone acknowledges was very low risk. Stingrays are just not usually considered deadly. It wasn't carelessness that got him, it was just a freak accident.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Yea, when I heard of the news it really took me by surprise. I enjoyed his shows.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

I think one of the things I really liked about Steve was that he didn't have any qualms about making fun of himself.

ESPN Commercial

FedEx Commercial

Warning! In the FedEx Commercial Steve fakes getting killed. If that seems to sensitive a topic right now, skip it. To me, it just illustrates everything I liked about the Crocodile Hunter.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Will Robinson wrote:
And I hope the guy who posts it there accidently boxes in a black mamba in his shower and after being bitten reels back and falls face first into the toilet he forgot to flush and drowns in his own waste!
Cue Kill Bill music.
woodchip wrote:While my condolences go to his wife and children, I have to say that I've yet to see a "professional" reptile handler actually handle dangerous snakes in a professional manner. Want to hunt snakes, wear snake boots and long pants. How many of the show boaters do?
Want to catch a poisonous snake? Use a special pole with a clamp made specifically for the job. Catching one by the tail, while increasing viewer ratings, is not the professional way of doing so.
So as the saying goes, " There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots".
Yah, read the link before commenting, you're off topic.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Topher wrote: Cue Kill Bill music.
woodchip wrote:While my condolences go to his wife and children, I have to say that I've yet to see a "professional" reptile handler actually handle dangerous snakes in a professional manner. Want to hunt snakes, wear snake boots and long pants. How many of the show boaters do?
So as the saying goes, " There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots".
I suggest you read a little closer:

Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam too close to one of the animals,

is public image was dented, however, in 2004 when he caused an uproar by holding his infant son in one arm while feeding large crocodiles inside a zoo pen.

Stingrays have a serrated, toxin-loaded barb, or spine, on the top of their tail. The barb, which can be up to 10 inches long, flexes if a ray is frightened. Stings usually occur to people when they step on or swim too close to a ray

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary.

I stand by my previous reply
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Kind of unfair Woodchip, he wasn't just a \"reptile handler\" he wore many hats, conservationist, naturalist, and among others a charismatic T.V. personality/wildlife expert, that role included entertainer, and that role put him scary-close to lots of creatures we normally never get to see. So in that sense he was supposed to go where no reptile handler dared to go....
The point being, he wasn't some guy doing his job poorly. He was a guy doing a dangerous job.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

woodchip wrote:

Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam too close to one of the animals,

is public image was dented, however, in 2004 when he caused an uproar by holding his infant son in one arm while feeding large crocodiles inside a zoo pen.

Stingrays have a serrated, toxin-loaded barb, or spine, on the top of their tail. The barb, which can be up to 10 inches long, flexes if a ray is frightened. Stings usually occur to people when they step on or swim too close to a ray

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary.

Your original post implied he died because he was show-boating. You bring up how you didn't approve of how he handled snakes, which has nothing to do with how he died.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

A stingray's toxin is not overtly deadly but I guess the barb went into his heart!! Ouch! I guess there is footage of it and subsequently, him pulling the barb out and dying.

The world lost a good one. Why couldn't Cuda have been swimming?? :)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Zuruck wrote:The world lost a good one. Why couldn't Cuda have been swimming?? :)
Even said in jest, that's going too far.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Topher wrote:
woodchip wrote:

Your original post implied he died because he was show-boating. You bring up how you didn't approve of how he handled snakes, which has nothing to do with how he died.
It has everything to do with it. The snake handling was just a example of how he took risks. The risks were taken to enhance his personna and nothing to portray his "professional" handling of wild life.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

hoo boy.. here we go with the penis contest again..
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Woodchip wrote:The risks were taken to enhance his personna and nothing to portray his "professional" handling of wild life.
He did take risks, but I question your analysis of his motivations.

And, to repeat what has been said over and over here. I have yet to hear a single profesional say that what he was doing with the stingrays was risky. Divers swim near stingrays all the time. They swim with them at the aquariums I've been to. This was not considered to be an especially risky behavior.

Driving to the beach, now that was risky. Automobile accidents are a MAJOR killer. Every time you get into a car you are taking your life in your hands. Every time you put your kid into a car, even in a child saftey seat, you are taking a VERY real and measurable risk that they will end up smeared all over the road. Considering the number of deaths from stingrays, I imagine the risk driving to the beach was higher than the risk of swimming with the stingrays.

I expected Steve to get killed by a croc or a poisonous snake some day. Had that happened, then yes, there would have been some justice in saying that he lived risky, and eventually the odds caught up with him. I'm not convinced that is necessarily a BAD thing, but it would have been true.

BUT, that's not the way he died. He was swiming with stingrays. They just are not usually dangerous. The profesionals who have viewed the video said he wasn't doing anything dangerous to antagonize the stingrays. It was just a freak accident. Like being killed by a swan. Yeah, it happens, but it's very rare, and it doesn't mean people should quit feeding them bread crumbs at the lake.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

It's like a professional race car driver backing into the corner of his garage by mistake. It just doesn't happen. Poor guy...I bet he wanted to go out via python, or something else...anything. It's like being killed by a kitten...
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

woodchip wrote:his public image was dented, however, in 2004 when he caused an uproar by holding his infant son in one arm while feeding large crocodiles inside a zoo pen.
That's how Steve was himself raised. I assure you the baby was fine, only international tourists and media drama-queens who know nothing about crocs were freaking out.

This may be something that a lot of people are unaware of... Steve runs the "Australia Zoo" on the sunshine coast, it's a family business - his father ran it before him - and steve's wife, daughter, and in time perhaps son (baby Bob) are right into it as well. The Zoo is practically his family's backyard and playpen. Steve himself often jumps out and plays tourguide for lucky (and stunned) groups of tourists at his zoo - it really is his home.

My mother went there just a few weeks ago to show some tourists from Perth around, and in her photos i watched Steve and Terri sitting amongst the audience cheering on their daughter - who had decided that day she was going to be one of the dancers. Those kids are as comfortable around that place as you were riding on the back of your dad's motorbike. They learn great things from their dad and the rest of the zoo keepers - incl obviously lots of hands on stuff. It's the way of things.
Maybe i should post the pics...
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

'Lil Bindy... she never took her eyes off her dad the whole time.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Guys, this is Steve being interviewed by Andrew Denton. It's a great look into the inner workings of Steve, from 2003. Denton does great interviews, so check it out.

Part 1
Part 2 3 & 4 should be in the \"Explore More Videos\" window to the right.

Transcript: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/tra ... 732743.htm

and a Transcript of another Denton interview done with both him and Terri in 2004. Perhaps as a response to the media circus that the \"feeding crocs while holding Bob\" incident caused: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/tra ... 071026.htm
(havn't found that video online yet)
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Thanks roid!
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

lol... have none of you noticed that you can supposedly \"Buy Steve Irwin dead on eBay!\"? :)