Sound Recorder Software (FREE)

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Sound Recorder Software (FREE)

Post by Dakatsu »

Anyone know a free sound recorder that I can download. Me and my friend are getting really good at our instruments, and it would be cool if I could record them (All I need to do is work on my singing, and get a drummer, and there we have a band!)

Anyway, the program that comes with Windows has a limit of 60 seconds. It would be cool if I could record crap for longer than a minute.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Damn, just what I was looking for, even better because it can do multitracking and track editing!!!
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

I have to agree. I love audacity.

Been a long time user of it. Although I have found that that new beta version is indeed buggy. (hey its a beta)

Ive even used it on occasion to chop a 2.8 second snip out of a sound here and there to make audio taunts for D3.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

oh neat, i didn't know here was so many other users of audacity. i use it to make crappy guitar stuff FTW (i think i posted the theme to \"eek the cat\" sometime here in the past).
does anyone want to post some of their crappy work? :)
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

i love audacity.....so i can just record streaming radio shows without buying them
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

roid wrote:oh neat, i didn't know here was so many other users of audacity. i use it to make crappy guitar stuff FTW (i think i posted the theme to "eek the cat" sometime here in the past).
does anyone want to post some of their crappy work? :)
viewtopic.php?t=11039

Made it about ten minutes after I got audacity. Tell me if it sounds good. (Hopefully not "crappy work" at least)
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I'm working on setting up Audacity and Ardour to record some song demos, as soon as I replace my stolen guitar and footpedals... I had a Squier Venus, by the way.

The recordings are pretty good, man. They could really use some compression, but other than that, not bad at all!
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I use Goldwave to reord the little bit I do.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

If you run Linux, then Ardour is the best DAW available to you.

Also, check into getting a Digidesign Mbox 2 ($500), which comes with Pro Tools LE 7. Pro Tools is THE gold standard DAW.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

There is a cd bootable linux distro called Dyne:bolic
that contains everything you need to really get into media on your computer, its full of audio production programs, streaming tools, video tools, and tons more - all on a bootable cd. No install, take it out and reboot and you're back to windows. It is also Rastaware, which to me is pretty much as cool as it gets. Nuff respeck.

Mbox is good because of the focusrite pre's but don't limit yourself to a program because it's \"the standard\", try a few and pick what feels natural for you. Making music is about expressing yourself so make sure that's what you are doing, not fighting your gear. I recommend looking into Dyne:bolic just to get a flavor for what linux can really offer you as a producer, not as a suggestion. Jumping into linux is not for the impatient. I would suggest Acid 6 for multitrack recording and editing in windows, despite its price tag it is one incredible piece of software. Sonic Foundry (now owned by Sony) is the way to go for audio editing in my opinion, I have used Sound Forge since version 2.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

FunkyStickman wrote:I'm working on setting up Audacity and Ardour to record some song demos, as soon as I replace my stolen guitar and footpedals... I had a Squier Venus, by the way.

The recordings are pretty good, man. They could really use some compression, but other than that, not bad at all!
Good... now the only thing that could screw this whole band idea is if I can't get good vocals... (I have written a few songs, I am talking about actual singing)