Nuclear reactor boat

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Nuclear reactor boat

Post by roid »

Code: Select all

While the U.S. hems and haws over reviving nuclear energy as a less expensive alternative to oil, Russia has dug back 30 years in our nuclear history to find a solution for some of its own energy woes: the floating nuclear power plant.

The Russian nuclear-energy company Rosenergoatom is planning a mobile plant to deliver electricity to hard-to-reach northern territories near the White Sea, where harsh weather makes regular coal and oil fuel deliveries unreliable and expensive. The $200-million floating plant—slated for construction next year—could provide relatively inexpensive, reliable electricity to 200,000 people.

Although the concept of a water-borne nuke plant might sound outlandish, it isn’t new, nor did it originate in Russia. Westinghouse Electric Company considered the idea in the 1970s and built an immense dry-dock facility in Jacksonville, Florida, where plants would be launched and floated north along the Eastern Seaboard, con- veniently doling out power to towns in need. Engineers would be able to standardize construction for multiple plants in an offsite factory with increased quality control and reduced production costs before tugging a plant to its port of call. But ultimately, says retired Westinghouse consultant Richard Orr, energy conservation following the 1973 OPEC oil embargo killed the project.

...article continues...
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/62 ... drcrd.html

8)
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Yeah! And if it explodes, it'll only kill whales and northerners!
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

go go Godzilla :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i recon it's a rockin idea. The only reason reactors explode is coz they overheat no? This thing is swimming in coolant. I'm hoping they incorporate this \"proximity to water\" into it as a foolproof safety fallback.

Actually, honestly the main reason i think this is cool is because it's so small and accessable:
We'll need nuclear power in space if we're to go anywhere. So these kinds of small highly visible Nuclear reactors (honestly, who's seen the inside of a military nuke powered boat/sub, not me) will be good to get people used to the idea of happy friendly safe* Nuclear Energy. It's a step closer to launching nuclear reactors into space, which we WILL need to do if you me and ppl enmass are ever leave this Planet.

(*even if it's not, i don't care :lol:. GO PROGRESS! YOSH! :lol:)

Oh yes... my ideologically motivated marketing strategys are maturing heeheeheehee *rubs hands in evil style*
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

One thing I'm sceptical about is that it could explode in a simple crash...
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Dude, Nucular (:P) power stations on land are capable of taking a direct hit with a 747 at maximum speed without busting the containment vessel or spewing radiation everywhere.

Why do you think a floating reactor would be any different?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Really, the only time when a nulcear plant explodes is when the cooling system fails and the reation chamber boils and over pressures.. just like a pressure cooker. The components are not there to get a \"nuke\" detonation. Not to mention that kinda reaction is a highly complex and controlled situaton. :)

Please tell me that someone isn't trying to pass the pic of as something serious.. The idea is rather novel and cool for the Russians. There are area's that can benefit from that kinda project. ...er.. like North Korea. :roll: :wink: Who has been crying about power for the last.. oh.. 5 years?? ah well. they have everyone's attention now, which is what they want ... but that's a different thread.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

A lot of the energy produced by the reactor would be spent de-ionizing the salt water... which of course is chock-full of Na+ and Cl- ions. So you have to heat the water (or otherwise provide it energy) to get those ions out, after filtering the water for large things like biomatter.

Then again, \"a lot of\" doesn't necessarily mean \"a significant proportion of\", but with an estimate of 200,000 people I'm not entirely sure we're talking a big reactor here.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Duper wrote:Really, the only time when a nulcear plant explodes is when the cooling system fails and the reation chamber boils and over pressures.. just like a pressure cooker. The components are not there to get a "nuke" detonation. Not to mention that kinda reaction is a highly complex and controlled situaton. :)
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell the article kinda mentions that a blowout/fallout into water would creat a steam exposiion that would send radioactive water particles throughout teh atmosphere - which are easier for us to absorb than the "ash" form isotopes that chernobyl sneezed out. Nothing i'm worrying about though. Isn't chernobyl the only problem we've ever had?
edit: oh, guess not http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nuclear_accidents
Please tell me that someone isn't trying to pass the pic of as something serious
i'm sure the headline was supposed to get ppl screaming. But i'm for it, Nuclear power warms the cockles of my heart. Or maybe below the cockles, the mutagenous isotope rich sub-cockle area :lol:.

Nuclear Yosh!

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

quite right roid. Chernobyl was a breeder reactor. but basically the same thing though. yup yup.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Nuclear Reactors can't explode by design. Modern NR design even eliminates the possibility of a meltdown, so the point of having a NR far away from where the power is used is kinda moot..
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Grendel wrote:Nuclear Reactors can't explode by design. Modern NR design even eliminates the possibility of a meltdown, so the point of having a NR far away from where the power is used is kinda moot..
Permafrost is hard to dig up.

The major safety concern of modern nuclear power is human incompetence.

Which makes this very scary, because all that's needed for a major disaster is for the pilot to suffer a heart attack.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

NECROISH-BUMP

ok, it seems this floating power station simply uses naval fission reactors that have already been powering icebreakers and other big ships for years. They just route it to generators instead of propellors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KLT-40_reactor

So it's really no biggy.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Mobius wrote:Dude, Nucular (:P) power stations on land are capable of taking a direct hit with a 747 at maximum speed without busting the containment vessel or spewing radiation everywhere.

Mobydick, you made a spelling mistake again.

You are laxing. It's "nuclear" and not "nucular".
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

CDN_Merlin wrote:
Mobius wrote:Dude, Nucular (:P) power stations on land are capable of taking a direct hit with a 747 at maximum speed without busting the containment vessel or spewing radiation everywhere.

Mobydick, you made a spelling mistake again.

You are laxing. It's "nuclear" and not "nucular".
I'm quite sure Mobius knows the correct spelling (that's why the "(:P)" is there), and is simply poking fun at the incorrect way many people in the U.S. mispronounce it. (Heck, Dubya himself has mispronounced it a number of times! :P)
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

A link has been posted before on here to a site about a young lady that took a couple motor cycle rides to Chernobyl and did a photo essay about it but the old link is out of date. Here is a new link for the content but apparently she is no longer keeping the site maintained. It's still a very good read though. http://www.kiddofspeed.com/

Chernobyl isn't the only nuclear incident in Russia. They have had a number of them but so has the United States. It just goes to show that science might be able to design great and powerful things but humans still have to build it and run it. Human; you’re the weakest link, good bye.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Richard Cranium wrote:Chernobyl isn't the only nuclear incident in Russia.
Chernobyl is in Ukraine. It was once part of the Soviet Union, but not Russia ;P
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

200 Million for 200K people is 1000 per person.

That's not really that good, sounds more like they just want to seem \"bigger\"
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Foil wrote:Heck, Dubya himself has mispronounced it a number of times! :P)
In fact, last week was the celebration of Dumbya's 50,000th mispronunciation of Nuclear. Let's PAR-TAY! :P
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

kiddospeed is an excellent read: one of my favourites for quite a while now!

Chernobyl is a really poor poster child for Anti-Nucular :P campaigners. Contrary to what you have heard promoted by them, 20,000 or 200,000 dead is quite wrong.

The number of people directly killed by, or in the aftermath of the Chernobyl meltdown is 42 souls. All of them spent time inside the reactor during the cleanup operation. No one has died since, as a result of radiation.

More lies and disinformation have been spread about Chernobyl than about Cholesterol, and that's saying something.

The area around Chernobyl now is almost 100% pristine wild area now. Wolves have made a strong return, and the local flora and fauna are healthy, and strong, evcen within site of the reactor itself.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Mobius wrote: The area around Chernobyl now is almost 100% pristine wild area now. Wolves have made a strong return, and the local flora and fauna are healthy, and strong, evcen within site of the reactor itself.
it's "even" and not "evcen" you (_O_)!
Wareagle
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wareagle »

Why Merlin Why ?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Wareagle wrote:Why Merlin Why ?
Why do you lurk War? You only post on average 1 post every month or so and it's always BS.

You ignored me in Kali, so please ignore me also here.
Wareagle
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wareagle »

Merlin leave people alone please we dont need ure remarks here
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Wareagle wrote:Merlin leave people alone please we dont need ure remarks here
War, please take this attack on me to PMs or stop posting.
Wareagle
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wareagle »

Strange you can dish it out but you cant handle it when aimed at you.. :)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

u2 seem to really hate eachother lol

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Wareagle wrote:Strange you can dish it out but you cant handle it when aimed at you.. :)
Attacks of personal nature are to be in PMs only. Read the rules.
Wareagle
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wareagle »

CDN_Merlin wrote:
Wareagle wrote:Strange you can dish it out but you cant handle it when aimed at you.. :)
How come you attacked Mobius and his spelling then ?
Wareagle
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wareagle »

Cute Roid :)
I don't hate merlin . I just see through the BS he does :)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Mobi's our resident spelling nazi, so when he mispells things it's hiliarous irony that we rib him about.
Wareagle
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wareagle »

Kinda hard not to know that :) lol
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

rhetorical question:
well then why did you keep asking?

personal trolling is bad, throw rocks at it.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Wareagle wrote:
CDN_Merlin wrote:
How come you attacked Mobius and his spelling then ?
Like Roid said. You also don't follow the DBB enough to understand. So this is why I told you to keep your personal attacks to PMs or just stop all together. You are famous for jumping to conclusions with only 1/2 the story and making a fool of yourself.

For future posts, just don't answer to any that I post in unless you are responding to the actual thread.

Thanks
Wareagle
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wareagle »

I know all about it Merlin I read it everyday but it's ok Merlin. Just follow the rules like you asked me to do . SIMPLE :)
Have A good Day Sir :
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

roid wrote:Chernobyl is in Ukraine. It was once part of the Soviet Union, but not Russia ;P
You're correct. Not one of my better subjects I guess.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

roid wrote:u2 seem to really hate eachother lol

I'm afraid to ask, but...
How many little images do you have left that you didn't post?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i keep getting more from 4chan