Tactics: Missile Dodging

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Tactics: Missile Dodging

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Just wondering about some good dodging techniques that some of you use?

I generally bank and slide at the same time to get out of the way, so I kind of curve around in a quarter circle. Seems pretty effective. I've also noticed that banking and turning combined help me to aim with a joystick a bit better, though I have trouble just aiming directly up above the nose of my ship.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Well.... I think that for one, if you know where the missle is coming in from, dodge only as much as you have to to not get hit. If you are trichording or sliding + banking you're making yourself a target because you're moving, possibly where your enemy wants you to move.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Depends on what type of missile you are dodging, homers are easy enough to dodge if you just tap a single afterburner burst at a hard angle to the missiles flight path just before it would have hit. Smarts and other slower missiles can be dodged without the afterburner in most cases, just slide past them.

But whatever else you can use, you can avoid missiles by pelting a teammate into the missiles path with the MD, if it works it works, use it.
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

download D'OHme and switch on all the missle launchers :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

im not sure you can dodge homers in D1 anymore. They follow me in little circles.
:o
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hmmmm.... you are right about the fact that it depends on the missiles. Homers I haven't figured out yet. They seem the hardest to dodge for me. Mega's require you to bank and slide. That is where I have been doing that the most. I find that I kind of have to bank and slide at the same time to get away from splash damage. Smarts I also sort-of slide around and they are fairly easy. One thing that annoys me about them is that it is a natural tactic for me to use objects to shield myself against them, yet smarts seem to travel through walls and occasionally homing missiles seem to do the same. Homing missiles I can't seem to time right yet. I still get killed constantly by BP's with duals.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Inadvertently fling yourself right into their path, then hit the space bar? :P
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

As to the "missiles coming through walls", it's an effect of latency. Basically, because of the slight time difference between what's happening on the server, and what's happening on your screen, homing missiles (Smarts, Megas, homers) are often taking a *slightly* different track on the server than what you're seeing. This sometimes means that a missile which hit the wall on your screen is actually still there on the server, so you still have to dodge.

A couple of players in Veins have gotten good at shooting Megas and homers around corners near the wall, to take advantage of this. I've done it myself a few times.
Top Gun wrote:Inadvertently fling yourself right into their path, then hit the space bar? :P
Actually, yes! :D

There's a known trick for using the "Mega bounce" combined with the effect of lag/latency to your advantage, and it's quite handy in a pinch.

If, for whatever reason, you don't want to dodge around a Mega... accelerate/afterburn directly into it just before it hits you! :oops: :lol:

Seriously, if you do it right, you get bounced, but not hurt. Here's a simplified explanation why:

The server sees you and the Mega moving toward each other at a certain speed. But if you accelerate quickly (just before the Mega hits on the server), the Mega will hit you on your screen before it hits on the server. You immediately get bounced on your screen, so the next packet sent to the server shows you're flying away from the Mega! [Of course, this results in the Mega still being 'alive' on the server, whereas it's no longer on your screen, but usually you've been bounced far enough to get out of the way easily.]
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Slowboy is one of the best at sticking megas and homers in nasty places from far away. I'm always rounding a corner to find a mega coming right at me, because he uses the cameras so well.

The mega bounce is one of my all-time favorite moves for making a flag run. Not that I can do it on purpose, but when it happens, I like to take full advantage of it.
elliotm
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by elliotm »

missle approach u

you face missle

slide

add forward to chord

slide in two directions to chord

slide and two directions and forward to trichord

now apply principle regardless of what direction you're facing

play with the homers. they are cute little faeries that want to dance with you--just don't be close to them when they explode.
GIR,ZIM,INVADER ZIM,ULTRA PIPI,Yikes!, etc., etc. i use 2 joysticks. yay.
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

Any single missile (blacksharks don't exist :-) is easy to avoid by
itself if you know it's there.

It's when people are chucking them all around you that things can
get a little tricky.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

One simple thing that I\"ve learned about Mortars (even though their not missles techincally), and smarts at close range, is that if you see them either slowing down, or about to hit a wall, you CANNOT back up fast enough to avoid them, unless you are by a corner you can quickly duck behind, but most often you are better off just punching the throttle, and hope that you're trichording, and pulsing is enough to get you away.
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

Ok, let me rephrase that...

Any missile by itself is easy to avoid if you see it coming soon enough.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

The REAL secret is ask the bean wizard for help and eat your spinach and broccoli.

thank you.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Well, Earthshakers don't really become easy to avoid in any situation, but they are at least possible if you expect them.

Having to dodge backward is the worst situation you can get in there - although some people have done it.
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

Damn...

Watermelons, bean wizards, spinach, broccoli... did Birds use those, too?

:)
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Do what I do...

If you see an Agent, run. Run like hell.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

You need not run away if you are The One. :)
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

Richard Cranium wrote:If you see an Agent, run. Run like hell.
But don't forget to keep lobbing fusion and chucking missiles, of course.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Obvious Observations

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

The funny thing about The One, though, is that there is only the one.

Dodging missiles is very important. The great thing about dodging a missile is that if you dodge it, it doesn't hit you, which is important.

This has been Obvious Observations with Sergeant Thorne, the part of our topic where Sergeant Thorne comes out and makes an Obvious Observation (or two).
Bakdraft
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bakdraft »

The REAL trick isn't to dodge a mega at all - it's to lead it back to the jerk who fired it in the first place. Same goes for shakers. Yeah, you'll die, but the knowledge that your attacker didn't gain anything for his trouble except an extra death is priceless.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

what is all this dodge and chord BS you guys are posting about evading a missile... nooobs

just step to the left or the right just before impact

Frag missle eat the missile with your shield if you are in a tight area, and suffer almost no damage. This is better than letting the fragments shred you from behind.

Motars - if you hear someone release one, then your too close. Foolish to let that happen in the first place

Below is the useless missiles that should have never made it into the game but laggers like it because no skill is required to use them

Black Shark - now that you're are an official idiot for getting caught by this, don't move.. just wait you shall live. the more you move the faster your shields are damaged. If you're caught with multiple noobs like yourself, then use a mortar or mega and suicide yourself and take them with you and get the credit for the kills, leave the shooter to GFH.

Black Shark Mega Combo - you're screwed get over it, horde the Black Sharks, after a BP enters the game there shall be 2 BS's get them both and never fire them -Stupid Server Op for enabling them in the first place

Earthshaker - you're turn/slide rate is faster, figure the rest out for yourself.

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I loved black sharks, when I was stuck in one I would normally kill whoever fired it with Vauss while I was stuck. Some people just hated my guts for that, and would call me hax, lame, etc, I even got banned from a couple servers because of it. Though I didn't get stuck in them that often because I mostly flew the Pyro at the time, and it is plenty fast enough to escape from one if you use your brain. :P
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Sirius wrote:Well, Earthshakers don't really become easy to avoid in any situation, but they are at least possible if you expect them.

Having to dodge backward is the worst situation you can get in there - although some people have done it.
Whenever someone would fire an earthshaker, I always flew right back towards the goofball that shot it. :D Nine times out of ten I either took him out along with me, or got out of the way JUST in time for HIM to suicide. :D
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Messanjah:

For homers you need to slide up/right/down/left and punch the afterburner right before it gets to you. The important thing to remember is that you need to face the homer while doing this. You can also pocket dodge (thanks Z heh)
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
IsAB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by IsAB »

All missile turrets activated, Goodbye.