Favorite Linux Distro?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Favorite Linux Distro?

Post by Nosferatu »

Im thinking that soon Im going to be adding a new HD to my main machine, putting Linux on it in dual boot with Win2K. Im already using Fedora on my punny little net router CPU and Ill probably be using Fedora since Im familiar with it. But I would like to hear other opinions. Suse is out since Im fairly certain they are going to be sued soon over GPL violations. But what about Ubuntu, Debian, Mandriva, Slackware, etc etc? Anybody got a favorite distro and why? Im probably going to be running http://www.winehq.org/. Since my current machine is a 64bit AMD I would like to experiment with a 64bit distro.

BTW yes I know how to install the boot loader on the second harddrive, copy the boot sector over, and edit boot.ini to point to it.
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

Slackware is my favorite.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

If Ubuntu wasn't around, I'd probably go with Debian. But I like to think of Ubuntu as Debian with a regular release cycle.
Garak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Garak »

Verran wrote:Slackware is my favorite.
Second
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

I use Kanotix coz it's the distribution with the best Hardware support, it's easy to install, it has very good support via IRC and it's Debian based and updated frequently
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Lately I've been playing with Suse 10.1 . I'm not sure it's the best out there since their are so many but it's been good so far. I also use Fedora and have been happy with it.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

As for SUSE I just cant wait until Linus Torvald tells Novell that they cant use his copyrights and trademarks any more (i.e. shove it where only their proctologist will find it) because they are trying to end run the GPL with the MS deal.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

Debian ++

Then again, I don't use a gui.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Gentoo is my favorite. But I wouldn't recomend it unless you plan to spend hours and hours reading about how to configure the various parts of linux.
Why doesn't it work?
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Torn between Ubuntu and Kubuntu.
They're the same thing, minus the desktop clients.