and so it begins: WiiMote used to control MS Windows

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

and so it begins: WiiMote used to control MS Windows

Post by roid »

still early days, so they don't have it setup with the IR pointer yet. So it's only registering both XYZ movement and rotation. It's not complete 6DOF because it doesn't have YAW for some reason.

does anyone here know exactly what sensors the Wiimote has in it? I know it senses acceleration, and i've heard that it also has gyrometers but i'm not sure about that. How many does it have, i mean... how accurate is it, and what rotations does it pick up and not pick up: X Y Z? Nintendo hardly puts the gritty info on it's webpage (i guess it isn't cute enough).

For those who notice... yeah, he's using GlovePIE - the same input/output remapper program that some ppl here use to map strange controls to play descent (eg: voice commands, mouse remapping).

Well... i recon this is the start of something people. The Wiimote seems to be a pretty awesome & capable cheap 3D controller, and it's use on the PC will only open up the market for more Virtual Reality and 3D stuff. Good thing too, i'm sick of WASD + Mouse.
3D controllers FTW
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

You know, I've never thought about it before up until this point, but if they're able to integrate the IR tracker...the Wiimote would be one hell of a Descent controller. :D
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Yeah, I definitely hope to see some flight games on the Wii. I think the controller would be a perfect control for them.

Heck, even Warhawk on the PS3, using the limited tilt sensing the PS3 controller has, looks like it would be fun to control.
Plague
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Plague »

The Wii remote uses only accelerometers (See remote dissection article), and the triangulation from the sensor bar. Several people on campus have already suggested that the Wii remotes would be a whole lot better for controlling a mouse in Windows on the computers in the classrooms. They currently use a wireless device that's more or less a D-pad.

Descent on the controller would be amazingly fluid, and I hope someone tries a 6DoF game on it. Controls would probably be something like:

Nunchuck Analog Stick: all horizontal movement
C (Left top trigger): Slide up
Z (Left bottom trigger): slide down
Pitch/Yaw: Remote
Primary/Secondary: Trigger and A button

Also, I know of one flight game that's coming out on it next year, but I don't think its a simulation (may be more arcade like). Its called \"Heatseeker\".
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I was actually picturing the analog stick being used for all four slide directions and the two trigger buttons for forward/back (which vaguely corresponds to the config I used when playing the PS1 Descent ports), but I guess it all depends on what feels more natural in-game.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

/me waits for the first n00b to say, \"Maybe we can get Descent 4 on the Wii! Wheeee!\" :P

Seriously, though, I would love to be able to play a '6DoF' game with a controller like the WiiMote.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

I'm going to be the first to play Descent with the Wii controller. =P
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

seems they didn't take long to work out the IR - they can use that too on PCs now.
so you can play that missile game 3D flash game :P

ok. So it seems the Wii has 3 accelerometers - one each for X,Y,Z. Combined with the force of gravity, they can tell which way the Wii is rotated (\"which way is gravity pulling?\") and movements. But it can't detect YAW (like shaking your head \"no\"), because that rotates around gravity's axis.

But, i recon if they combine the IR with the accelerometers and add in some prediction - they could get a good internal model of where the wiimote is at any time. i hear the IR has a 90 degree field of view, that's pretty big.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

ANY human interface device can be used for motion capture in 3d studio max. i would love to use the numb chuck to animate!