Transformers trailer

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Transformers trailer

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

found this on youtube. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZp75fWe-ss
Another Soul Korrupted
http://www.korrupted.net
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Ugh...

I keep holding out hope that they didn't totally butcher the franchise, but uh...running out of reasons to keep hope alive. The Decepticons look like they have no substance to them. They almost look like they were so gungho about showing the detail of internal mechanisms while they transformed that they reduced the characters to skeleton like frames.

Doesn't help that I belonged to the Don Murphy Transformers forum and know how much they strayed away from the generation one vehicle modes. Bumblebee isn't a VW Bug? WTF? Prime not a Classic flatnosed desiel? Anybody else hear the sounds of shattered childhood memories? I do...
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

This could be another 'high-concept' movie like Godzilla or snakes on a plane. And it won't even bee a good one, if it is. I got turned off when the trailer let us know our protagonist gets a 'love element.' So here’s a spoiler: They kiss, after an explosive win. The end.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Tyranny wrote:Anybody else hear the sounds of shattered childhood memories? I do...
Yes, very much so. :cry:

Thats Hollywood for ya! :evil:
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I always liked to manipulate transformer toys, but I was never interested enough in the stories behind the toys to get into it.

My first thought when I saw the trailer was, \"No way! They made Transformers cool!\"
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

Reminds me of Terminator.
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

Looks cool. I will enjoy it.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I have about $1500 worth of my original Transformers toys still, along with 90% of the original comic book series.

I just watched the trailer.... I'll be buying the DVD, preferrably with extra material. Maybe the collector's edition? ;)

Dude, it's still Transformers. They rock.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

Hmm, looks interesting. Too bad Michael Bay's name is attached to it.

I don't get the whole \"They ruined Transformers!\" thing, since I'm a few years too young to have seen the TV show or anything. I think a had a toy or two, though.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Spike had a love interest in the cartoons as well. I believe her name was Carlie and the two of them had a son named Daniel. So a relationship element to the story in an attempt to appeal to a human audience that can relate isn't really stretching anything.

Firewheel, checkout the origional Transformers movie. The animated one. That is probably a good starting point.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I have liked the show Transformers, particularly the 80s series that went for 4 seasons or longer.

I saw the trailer just yesterday, and like it very much. I am impressed and pleased with how well they do it.

I would agree that the physiology of the transformers could be better done as in less showing of internal mechanisms, but as is, it will be very well done.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Despite being a child of the 1980s, I somehow never really got into the Transformers. It wasn't until a movie day at college when I saw the original Transformers movie. As far as children's movies go, that is one seriously high-octane 80s glam rock opera.

But the newer Transformers series, like Cybertron and Energon and so forth, are just horrible anime tripe done on the cheap. Worst animation I've ever seen.

To me, the series seems to take a bit after Star Wars. The original Star Wars was a rather simple, sci-fi \"swashbuckling\" affair. It didn't aspire to be anything more weighty or meaningful than it was. And then the legions of fans come in and tear the damn thing apart with their conventions and fanboy ramblings. And so one of the terrible things about the new trilogy was how it took itself so damn seriously. The actors stumble over the lines like amateurs attempting to parse pseudo-Shakespeare line and verse.

Transformers has kind of gone in the same direction. There are hundreds of characters, a general \"canon\" to the universe, and legions of fans who will dropkick anyone that dares to contradict the franchise.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

*Dropkick* :wink:
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

I think the trailer looks pretty cool, actually. I just hope it doesn't end up like Godzilla. And \"Shakespeare\" bores me. =P
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Well, here is my take on it. I loved the original Cartoons. I watched them over and over as a kid. I collected the toys and the TV shows and loved the movie. I haven't watched any other shows, other than the originals.

For this movie, when I saw the first trailer, I saw Steven Speilbergs name attached to it. I love most of his movies other than his newer ones so this could be good and it could be bad. The main thing is to drop all your knowledge of the old series and accept this as new. I was annoyed that Bumblebee was a yellow 2006 Mustang and not a classic VW Beetle. But, I'm still going to watch it and I might even enjoy it. :)

There are some good remakes and a lot of bad remakes.

Good remakes: Spider-Man, BSG, Flight Of The Phoenix.

Bad Remakes: War Of The Worlds, I Spy ecs.

It's a 50/50. I'm going to go with the attitude that it will be a damn fun night even if the movie sucks. Hell, at least it's something to look forward too. :)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I think that all of you Transformer noobs are missing one important thing about the transformers (I'm an original series elitist no less). When they arrive in an new environment alien to the previous one they will adapt to the first thing they see relative to their construction as a form of camouflage . If they land in a parking lot of yugo's guess what folks.......YEAH YOU GOT IT

I am going to enjoy the movie

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BigSlideHimself »

A reporter once asked Stephen King what it was like to have his books ruined when they were turned into horrible movies. King said: \"They're not ruined, they're still on the shelf.\"

This happens every time some beloved franchise hits the silver screen. A trailer comes out, people find something to hate just because it goes against their esoteric desires for the film. The hate builds until the film is released, and it's either very good, at which point the detractors magically disappear, or it's very bad, at which point the detractors spout on message boards that they were right. Although there's usually noone to hear them since the rest of us have gone on with life.

We all have our childhood loves - WildCats, He-Man, Transformers, Calvin and Hobbes - we each have hundreds of them. Sooner or later they're going to be turned into movies, it's just bound to happen. Some will be great, and some will suck; but you have to ask yourself if it's worth the energy to be against anyone who encroaches on your childhood.

I'm convinced it's more about competing for who is the biggest fan - whoever can be the most pedantic about the details - than it is about the final product.

As if running around in diapers with a Starscream figurine should mean something 20 years later.