Wireless adapter choices, which is best?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Wireless adapter choices, which is best?

Post by d3jake »

Well, for Christams I was given a $50 gift card to Best Buy. So I decided that I wanted a wireless adapter for my computer so I wouldn't have to sit down in my basement to use my computer, it can get mighty chilly down here...
So, due to restrictions of the Gift card, I've narrowed it down to these. You'll notice that they are all USB adapters becuase I one of the guys I know says that he has a USB adapter in his computer, his brother has a internal PCI adapter (wireless g mind you) and he gets better reception even though they are connected to the same router and they're computer's are right next to each other.
Belkin - Wireless- G USB
Dynex - 802.11g Enhanced-G Wireless Adapter
If I can get up the extra $$ I'll try to get this(if I\"m lucky):Linksys 802.11g Compact Wireless USB Adpater
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Linksys or Belkin. Never heard of the other one.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

Did the other guy truly have internal wireless or did he have a PC card adapter? I just bought a Netgear WG511T PC card and it seems fine.

Things to consider:

USB 1.1 can only give you 12 Mb/sec, but 802.11g is 54 Mb/sec. So you'd better be sure your laptop has USB 2.0 ports, otherwise you're hamstrung.

On the other hand, a USB adapter can be used in any computer, not just a laptop. And if you extend it with a USB cable, that might act as an antenna, giving you better reception.

Oh, and I usually stay with name brands: Belkin, Netgear, D-Link and Linksys.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Belkin... hmm... I think I'll get a PCI one... BTW, I was planning on sticking it on a desktop computer... The Belkin one is the best deal it seems... I thnk I\"ll wait untill some more people weigh in on it.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

The conclusion I came to half a year ago when thinking about upgrading to wireless on my desktop is that all PCI wireless solutions suck. Why favor Belkin or Linksys when they probably all use the same no-name chipset. Instead, I bought a PCI to mini-PCI adapter, an antenna, and threw in a spare Intel Pro Wireless 2200 wireless adapter (which, le gasp, uses an Intel Pro Wireless 2200 chip (which rocks...)). Since the ipw2200 was a spare, I came out slightly ahead $$$-wise too.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Uh Jeff, Linksys is almost entirely Broadcom. Every piece of Linksys equipment I've ever owned has been based on a Broadcom chipset.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

The only thing I've heard about broadcom is how their drivers for the Linux kernel had to be reverse-engineered because they would not release specs for their chipsets, much less drivers for them.
Apogee
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Apogee »

Honestly, go for the cheapest if there is a return policy. I've got a cheap wireless USB adapter (Hawking) and it works dandy. The technology is so widespread at this point that the only difference between a no-name brand and a big brand is the difference is price. That and maybe a warranty.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I'd say definitely the Belkin, or possibly the LinkSys.

I've always had excellent results with Belkin products, and I've heard good things about their wireless stuff, especially their \"Pre-N\" routers.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Me and a buddy of mine might be going to Best Buy next weekend (or the one after that...) because he got a gift card as well. He'll prolly be getting a N52 and a mouse since he plays on a laptop. I\"ll have to see what they have three, and the return policies.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Jeff250 wrote:The only thing I've heard about broadcom is how their drivers for the Linux kernel had to be reverse-engineered because they would not release specs for their chipsets, much less drivers for them.
True. They've never been OSS-friendly. The other option is to use ndiswrapper, which is only an option for PC hardware, not, say, routers.

Luckily, Linksys sells the Linux version of their Wireless-G router, and has GPL'd all the necessary code, so the Broadcom chipset used therein is now decently-documented.