New Core Decision website

Dedicated to 6DoF MODs and or Game efforts. If you know of one please post them here.

Moderators: fliptw, roid, CUDA

Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

I'd like to mondify my earlier comment. The web site as it stands now is fine for me personally... and no doubt much of the Descent community and people who are monitoring the development of the game aren't fussed by it either.

But as a marketing professional (and soneone who genuinely wants this game to see the light of day - and generate a profit for its makers), I would advise you to ensure new investors (those who haven't already signed on) *don't* see the web site. If you get any nibbles from speculative investors, take them on board and show them your game in action, show them Descent 1-3, show them the fanatical following these games still have today... but don't leave them to gather impressions about your company and your product from that web site alone - because it won't do you any favours in that regard.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious - but I truly want this game to succeed. And on the investor / PR front, IMO that site isn't doing you any favours at all.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

I'd be greatly interested in an in-depth timeline of the development of Core Decision (all happenings) after the game is finally released, to see what went on and why things went the way they did.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Gekko71 »

Skyalmian wrote:I'd be greatly interested in an in-depth timeline of the development of Core Decision (all happenings) after the game is finally released, to see what went on and why things went the way they did.
X2 to that - I have clients currently asking me about producing games (on a smaller scale to CD of course) as part of their marketing efforts / business model - it would make very interesting reading and I could advise my clients of some of the problems that can come up and how to overcome them - like you guys have done on numerous times already :)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

Skyalmian wrote:I'd be greatly interested in an in-depth timeline of the development of Core Decision (all happenings) after the game is finally released, to see what went on and why things went the way they did.
You mean they started selling shares in thier business and you managed to buy a big chunk, I am sure the all the operating expenses come from investors like you? In that case I agree. I wouldn't wait till the game is out though.

Are you a gamer that appreciates ANY effort that people do and gladly wait for the best they can. Or someone that would rather push for a quick buggy wish it were good game and then have the balls to ★■◆● about the bugs!

Hell, maybe you are in management and have no clue to what real effort is about? :D

KB
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

heh if that ain't a low blow.
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

Something that was mentioned earlier was the concern regarding the old skoolers driving away new players once CD goes live because they're in the same servers.

A rather ingenious mechanism that was put in place for the recently-released \"ThreadSpace: Hyperbol\" game (which is actually pretty fun for a while imho) was that any multiplay other than LAN games required you to sign into the 'Station' and only a few of the servers accepted trial accounts or those under a certain level. Your experience was tracked at the Station and you had to 'level up' so that you could access the veteran servers. Conversely, if you were over level 4, you couldn't play on the trial/newbie servers.

You could obviously simply set up servers to loosely follow this model using Descent's pilot rankings. If you're not > cannon fodder, you can only play on cannon fodder servers, and those that have attained a higher rank can't play on those newbie servers.

If you wanted to take it to the Nth degree and did set up a PXO-like environment like ThreadSpace did, you could let all the old skoolers here pre-register with that system and automatically give them veteran pilot ranking so that there's no chance of us stepping on the toes of the newer players and driving them away in frustration.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

The only part is that not all of the vet players will be willing to keep it in servers which are \"a X level\" where X > cannon fodder. They may very well choose a lower level just to beat up on newbies... Sad to say but its prolly true. The only way that I can see to change this it so base the ranking off of efficiency, just an average one mind you... because there are afew games where I'll get about 55-60%, but then there are games when I'm lucky to get about 30-40%.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Sllik wrote:A rather ingenious mechanism that was put in place for the recently-released "ThreadSpace: Hyperbol" game (which is actually pretty fun for a while imho) was that any multiplay other than LAN games required you to sign into the 'Station' and only a few of the servers accepted trial accounts or those under a certain level.
I'm not really a fan of games that force you to play only against certain types of competition.

Good and bad players will tend to naturally segregate. Creating "noob only" servers is an OK idea, but doing anything more complicated than that ends up just splitting the community for no real benefit.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Well, you can have the accounts bound to serials to eliminate the aliasing issue (ie: new account to just beat up on newbies).
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Ah, good idea there.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

had to 'level up' so that you could access the veteran servers
That part I don't agree with. The newbs should be able to play on every server, whereas level 2 can go into 1, 3 can go to 2, but not 1, and 4 only on 3 and 4. That would be plenty fair for all.

I liked PXO's ranking idea, but it was weakly implimented. I'd like to see the above tier-based play with a good ranking/stats system. Some systems track weapon shots/hits per weapon..Other people killed/how many times/by them how many times, etc. Look at sports stats nowadays, poeple put more effort into their video games, we should have those kinds of statistics gathering.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Too much segregation wouldn't be a good idea though. If you're doing matches between actual teams as in on ladders, you don't want to prevent some people being able to join the game; though if you used Testi's model it would be enough just to set the tier to 4 for all such matches.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Request:

if you do implement such a system, please make it optional for servers. That way, someone can run a \"noob only\" or \"expert only\" server, but they can also run an \"all takers\" server.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Good idea Lothar. Another thing you could do is simply let the noobs know that CD is in some small part a homage to the Descent series - and as a result, there are a lot of old Descent pilots around who have considerable skill. So if you do bump into one of these back-from-the-dead demi-gods, don't sweat it... just take your lumps like a good soldier and learn as much as you can in the process.

Maybe there could be a special insignia for all the D-series pilots ...to let the fresh meat know they have to run & fight a lot harder whenever they see that insig...

..just a thought. :lol:
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Heh, I just hope that \"average\" gamers these days will be able to take the beatings that will come their way, without dropping the game, calling it gay, and going back to COunterstrike...
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Gekko71 »

d3jake wrote:Heh, I just hope that "average" gamers these days will be able to take the beatings that will come their way, without dropping the game, calling it gay, and going back to COunterstrike...
One would certainly hope so, cause if that were to happen, it would be very bad news not just for CD, but for 6DoF games in general and Descent in particular. While I still love D3, it is really starting to show its age... :cry:

If we really want 6DoF to take off, then we need to get some serious support behind CD. If Korea discovers it and adds it to the professional circut, then we really know we're hitting our straps.

(I know the odds of that are pretty long, but hey - everyone needs a dream :) )
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Strife »

Lothar wrote:
Sllik wrote:A rather ingenious mechanism that was put in place for the recently-released "ThreadSpace: Hyperbol" game (which is actually pretty fun for a while imho) was that any multiplay other than LAN games required you to sign into the 'Station' and only a few of the servers accepted trial accounts or those under a certain level.
I'm not really a fan of games that force you to play only against certain types of competition.

Good and bad players will tend to naturally segregate. Creating "noob only" servers is an OK idea, but doing anything more complicated than that ends up just splitting the community for no real benefit.
I see the effort to not "chase" people away from the game... But I had to get my ass rhomped by alot of people before I could hold my own... Thats part of learning a game. I guess you could set something up like socom where you have the servers that are setup for advanced players... but you also have the rooms that anyone can play in. Thats the only way to get better... at anything for that matter. Get your ass handed to you until you do something about it.
floppyfreak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by floppyfreak »

the d3 community was often friendly, sometimes even nice. This should be used for the new game. Instead of naming supergods and stuff the better players could volunteer in the honorable function of a tutor. There _are_ players who love to play against good ones (me myself excluded :wink:)
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Well, spank me senseless and call me charlie: THERE'S A CD WEB SITE!!111!|||!11

The chances of ever playing this game just went from \"as likely as being struck by lighning\" to \"as likely as being killed by bee stings\".

Great work.
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

Ah, so THIS is where I put that response about segregating the playerbase. I'd forgotten where it was.

Yes, in hindsight, it's probably simply best to allow a server setting of 'starter', 'veteran', 'old-skoolers', or 'all' or somesuch. Just try to make it prominent so that the new players don't get unduly frustrated when they inadvertently join the wrong server. Given enough interest and practice, they're going to want to jump into the fray with us regardless, probably sooner than their ready to, but hopefully at least after they've gotten hooked. *wrings hands together in his best impression of a hunch-backed mad scientist*

I do think some kind of consideration for the Descent community nicks would be awesome, though, in whatever form can be implemented. Maybe lock out anyone being able to create pilots with those nicks without plugging in their Kali serial #'s or something. =P
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Well, IMHO there is no need to separate players. Maybe i'm not exactly the right person to say that (i'm not a big fan of Multiplayer) but in the old D2 days i think it was a lot more fun with all the players (of all skill levels) colliding one against each other. I think that playing against good players can be good for some newbies, as this can raise the interest on training more and more (it worked for me, i'm a bit better player by now 'cause i played with tough oponents)...

Of course, i'm thinking as a Descent fan, maybe for newcomers that are used to Ground Pounders won't like that system, but anyway i'm just sayin' my own opinion...
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Neo »

BUBBALOU wrote:This thread is still alive?????

" Really big Update Sunday "

Sunday comes

"nothing to report maybe next Sunday"

Just leave them ALONE to do whatever they may be doing!!!

Lock this thread Already

We Only want to see a Thread Posted from Uplink when the Demo is released or an email to beta test their demo

Until then I would rather see this sub-forum a graveyard..... instead of 5 or 6 concurrent "What If", Better Not", "When Is" or "I am Neo(Samus) you guys suck " threads
NEWS FLASH: This just in... bubba is a penis. I want to hear about Core Decision, so keep it open!
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Seriously, tho, Bubbalou, you're not a moderator (thank God), so please put away your \"imaginary badge.\" =P

I think that last post from Mobius is a compliment coming from him. ^_~

back on topic...

I think the weapon names are too... original. =P I think you all should use more descriptive weapon names, like Descent did and like some other games do. Names like \"Rocket Launcher, Machine Gun, Nailgun, Plasma Beam,\" or \"Spreadfire Cannon, Laser Cannon, Vulcan Cannon, EMD Launcher\" are easier to remember and remind a player what they actually do.
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Neo wrote:
BUBBALOU wrote:This thread is still alive?????

" Really big Update Sunday "

Sunday comes

"nothing to report maybe next Sunday"

Just leave them ALONE to do whatever they may be doing!!!

Lock this thread Already

We Only want to see a Thread Posted from Uplink when the Demo is released or an email to beta test their demo

Until then I would rather see this sub-forum a graveyard..... instead of 5 or 6 concurrent "What If", Better Not", "When Is" or "I am Neo(Samus) you guys suck " threads
NEWS FLASH: This just in... bubba is a penis. I want to hear about Core Decision, so keep it open!
Keep it civil, guys.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

*chirp

I guess CD is waiting for a publisher?

Any new info on CDs progress?

RM
Fighting villains is what I do!
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

ReadyMan wrote:*chirp

I guess CD is waiting for a publisher?

Any new info on CDs progress?

RM
Not much is new RM.

You can check out the forum they have now if ya like.
Not much activities there either.

Hopefully they are busy beavers! :P
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:Hopefully they are busy beavers! :P
Understatement of the year. ;)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

MD-2389 wrote:
Aus-RED-5 wrote:Hopefully they are busy beavers! :P
Understatement of the year. ;)
:mrgreen:
Einsiedler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Einsiedler »

It's a spare time project of a highly motivated team till now and waiting to get the demo ready.
When this is done they try to get funding. With enough money they will be able to do the rest
of the work together with a whole team of duly paid fulltime working programmers at multiple speed.

For now they are searching for people who can do torque-scripting (the game engine they are using).
This would help getting the demo finished earlier.

If anyone knows anyone: visit their website and contact them!
Nergen-Ak1-Defender
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nergen-Ak1-Defender »

What kind of physics is this game going to have? Is it going to have something like havok?
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Re:

Post by Sup »

psionik wrote:Some content as promised!

A 1280x1024 desktop image of one of our bots and a picture of one of our missiles, the Cryo Missile. The desktop is linked because its a huge image.

http://psion.sonicwave.biz/wraith_desktop_1280x1024.jpg

http://psion.sonicwave.biz/cryomissile.jpg

Looking bad ass, nice work J!

(no I havent forgotten about this and yes I do check once in a while to see how CD is coming along!)

Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wheeze87 »

Ahhh Come on CD i hope you happen... :)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Pretty cool stuff, the text on that wallpaper looks very Descent-2-ish. :)
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Still alive and kicking but no completed modules or demos yet.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

So this is where CD has gone: From a professionally built cutting edge engine with cutting edge tools (for those who believed it) to a spare time project using a 2nd class budget game engine, where people get erectile about a D2'ish wallpaper while waiting for a pre-alpha tech demo.

And Bubba gets called a penis for his saying it the way it is.

Some people can't face the truth even if it is punched in their faces.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Regardless of what you think of Diedel or his opinion, his avatar is awesome. :D
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Ahh, I was missing these threads, may as well close the thread now, unless everyone ignores his comment (and mine\\Krom's) this'll be another flame thread...
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Now if I complement him and he takes it as an insult... then if I insult him will he take it as a compliment?

Reverse psychology? Really now... [/portal plug]

Actually I tend to agree with Diedel's comments about CD lately, but I'm not interested in getting involved with that can of worms...
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

/me starts the clean-up
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

I guess I'd feel better about the whole CD project eventually getting made if I saw evidence that Uplink have gotten at least ONE game off the ground ...those other non-6DoF games they mention on their web site. Is there any progress with those? What gives? I remember them saying that they were no longer focusing quite so much on CD as they had 'other projects' in the pipeline.

(...mind you, they've said a lot of stuff over the years... :roll: )