Addicted to RSS

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Addicted to RSS

Post by Topher »

So I've become addicted to RSS. There's literally 30+ blogs I read plus 10 or so news sources related to technology, space and gaming plus a bunch of other stuff. And I'm just beginning to venture out onto the Internet.

There's this great feature in IE7 and Firefox that finds RSS feeds on webpages. It's awesome, I never would have found some of the links hidden way in the bottom of the page or on some random image. Also, Live.com has a nice feed finder here.

Of course, tabbed browsing news sources like Slashdot and Wikipedia have greatly increased my information intake thanks to middle click opening links in new tabs and closing unneeded tabs (my favorite IE7/FF feature). Combined with RSS telling when stuff has been updated, I never spend time venturing out to webpages to see if there's any new content. I'm not any better at finding information, but technology has significantly narrowed the time gaps between finding it.

What feeds or blogs do other people subscribe to?

I've started a blog on transitioning from college to industry as a software engineer on MSDN if people are interested. CoolBeans. Anyone else write a \"interesting\" blog (aka about a topic, not about yourself)? Must have an RSS feed for me to be interested.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I have no RSS feeds. I haven't paid enough attention to them to find out what they really are. They're just blogs, eh? Tech and space feeds I might be interersted in...where do you view the feeds once you (I guess) subscribe to it? Right in Firefox?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I only download one and I download it in utorrent my bittorrent client, it will automatically download new releases of stuff I am collecting.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

So does the RSS feed work on here? How do you get it? I'm a real RSS newbie.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Go to a forum you want to get RSS feeds on, in firefox hit bookmarks ---> subscribe to this page.

Last I heard it doesn't work though.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Just reading your \"Harry Coder and the Wizard Compiler\" section... a lot of good (if already well-known) tips, especially the one about macros and parameter expansion. But when you said that the compiler, being a Turing-complete device, can calculate anything that can be calculated, you are mistaken. The countability argument proves that a Turing-complete device can't compute everything. Also, consider pointer aliasing; if the compiler could solve pointer aliasing, it could solve the halting problem. Clearly this is not the case, so we wind up with pointer aliasing, which is a pain in the ass. :P

(Sorry, I've been doing research on program specialization for the past few months and just happened to catch that post at the right time)
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Tricord »

Testiculese wrote:I have no RSS feeds. I haven't paid enough attention to them to find out what they really are. They're just blogs, eh? Tech and space feeds I might be interersted in...where do you view the feeds once you (I guess) subscribe to it? Right in Firefox?
Exactly my story. If upgrading wasn't mandatory for my homebanking app, I would still be using IE5. I don't care much for blogs and other trends (although there might be some interesting ones out there). I read a quality local newspaper online and that's about it. The rest is pertaining to my business.

GMail however, replaces God. I don't know how much time I've saved using GMail, but it's an excellent tool. Only drawback is that all your data belong to Google :roll:
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

RSS, Really Simple Syndication, is a standard to distrubte frequently updated content.

You can suscribe to this forums RSS with Firefox, and have a bookmark direct to every thread thats made.

Except RSS is a bit broken here at the DBB
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Topher »

fliptw wrote:RSS, Really Simple Syndication, is a standard to distrubte frequently updated content.

You can suscribe to this forums RSS with Firefox, and have a bookmark direct to every thread thats made.

Except RSS is a bit broken here at the DBB
Really? It works for me.
DCrazy wrote:But when you said that the compiler, being a Turing-complete device, can calculate anything that can be calculated, you are mistaken. The countability argument proves that a Turing-complete device can't compute everything.
My mistake, I remember reading that a C++ compiler is Turing complete, but I honestly don't know a whole lot about what that implies. However, you can compute a great deal more complex things once you consider metaprogramming than you could without.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

did they get around to fixing the errant \"\\\" in the URLs?