vista on the 30th

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

vista on the 30th

Post by ReadyMan »

So vista is due to be released in 2 days. Is it worthwhile getting it right away, or better to wait till its been out for a few months?
I'm pretty sure I'll get it for my main gaming machine which has the power to run vista in its glory....just a matter of when.

RM
Fighting villains is what I do!
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

All of South Korea thinks they are going to wait:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/24/210234
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

its not worth getting now.

Especially for gaming. DX10, for marketing reasons only, is Vista only. the only games that I know of that is a DX10 game are Halo 2 and Crysis. Vista currently doesn't support EAX effects.

Wait till the first SP, which has already been announced, and see if the rest of the software industry really cares about it.
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

I can get Vista Business for free legally through MSDNAA so as soon as Uni goes back toward the end of February/beginning of March I plan on aquiring myself a copy :D
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I work in IT for a university. I cannot stress enough to WAIT.

Sure, it's \"new and exciting\" to have a nice cool new looking OS and name tag, but there are way too many things up in the air right now with Vista.

A lot of software will not work correctly under the new OS and the points mentioned in the above posts are a few more reasons.

And FFS why buy an upgrade CD if you can't upgrade the damn OS more than once. \"Oh need a clean install of Vista Upgrade?? Ok, let's install WinXP 1st then install Vista over it!\"

Way to go Microsoft, you were just starting to recover from Windows ME... :roll: Start buying stock in Symantec. Ghost sales are gonna skyrocket ;)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Ghost won't help. You will still have XP underneath it all. This is the problem.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I'd say wait until next year. The DRM invasion alone is not worth it. I'm waiting to see if they remove/relax it, if they even can...otherwise, Vista will sit on a spare machine and hardly get used.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

The issue with not being able to do clean installs with an upggrade CD bothers me alot. I think that XP is going to be my choice OS for a LONG time.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

you shouldn't need to do a complete install, just provide the original XP cd.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

fliptw wrote:you shouldn't need to do a complete install, just provide the original XP cd.
Nope, you need to do a complete install and activate XP.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

considering that owners of Xp64 need to do a clean install, and there are upgrade versions for it, one must reconsider that suggestion.

the DVD's are bootable, and since no one goes to the horse's mouth on this board anymore:
Microsoft Says: wrote:Installation options

You can upgrade in-place, which means you can install Windows Vista and retain your applications, files, and settings as they were in your previous edition of Windows.

Clean install

Upgrading to Windows Vista with a clean install means that you should use Windows Easy Transfer to automatically copy all your files and settings to an extra hard drive or other storage device, and then install Windows Vista. After the installation is complete, Windows Easy Transfer will reload your files and settings on your upgraded PC. You will then need to reinstall your applications.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Flip, we are talking about the Vista upgrade. Not Vista full.

Vista upgrade requires you have XP installed. Not just the CD but actually installed before you can install Vista.
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

not touching it

end of discussion from me
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Merry Vista Day Evarybody!!1!!@@!
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Can't wait to start seeing the articles come back. Might give me something to read at work...

\"I installed Vista and somehow my PC grew legs and jumped off a bridge and committed suicide! :O \"
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

It doesn't mention DRM once...not once..
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by FunkyStickman »

AceCombat wrote:not touching it
end of discussion from me
Ditto for me. Not now, not ever. I'll buy a Mac first.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Actually, if top game manufactures are smart they would see how DX10 is a marketing ploy to lure gamers to the new OS. Maybe this would be the catalyst that punts OpenGL or possibly a new rendering API to market that does not rely on MS's DX.

I'm just talking out my ass. I really don't want to see my favorite game genres following MS into DX10 and locking me into an OS I don't want. (Seems like we see this type of conversation every time a new MS OS comes out...)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

The patent application additionally describes how Microsoft could use DRM to limit access to hardware or software. \"It may also be possible to allow only certified or authorized add-on modules to be installed, enabling digital rights management to allow selective purchase by users, fraud control for providers and also to restrict unauthorized operating system extensions from being installed that may support unauthorized hardware and/or software.\"
Ha..haha, yea. Why upgrade? Gee, dunno..
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

(From what I have been told...) Linux is different from this in that you can change the core of the OS and recompile it as you see fit. WIth Windows you have to use what they give you and you can only change what they let you change.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by FunkyStickman »

d3jake wrote:(From what I have been told...) Linux is different from this in that you can change the core of the OS and recompile it as you see fit. WIth Windows you have to use what they give you and you can only change what they let you change.
That's basically true. Not only that, but you can actually re-write any part of Linux you want, make your own version, and turn around and sell it if you want, as long as you include the source code to the changes you made. Yes that's right, you can sell Linux if you want. Try doing THAT with Windows! :)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

You could sell it! But if you're trying to sell a cracked version, that's where it get's edgy. :o
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Testiculese wrote:
The patent application additionally describes how Microsoft could use DRM to limit access to hardware or software. "It may also be possible to allow only certified or authorized add-on modules to be installed, enabling digital rights management to allow selective purchase by users, fraud control for providers and also to restrict unauthorized operating system extensions from being installed that may support unauthorized hardware and/or software."
Ha..haha, yea. Why upgrade? Gee, dunno..
No kidding, what's next....built in website blocking so you can't "accidentally" visit a "illegitmate" site? :roll: Screw you RIAA and MPAA!

Honestly folks, as it stands Vista isn't even worth pirating let alone actually paying money for it. (and yes, I've tried all three betas)
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

...and now here's a workaround. Granted you need to install Vista twice, but it eliminates the need for your an older OS disk:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

RIAA and MPAA and their lobbiests are why we are here today with all this DRM and such BS, not to mention their little stunt with the original Pretexting bill.

this is going to be a requirement is Other O/S also so grab both cheeks and learn to use your tools to make your own content

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

The price tag alone is too much. Goodbye Windows, Hello Fedora 6. Free, now thats my kind of price. Hehehe ;)
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Windows is essentially a commodity item, we should be paying commodity prices.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I moved to XP from 9x less then a year after XP came out, well before SP1 became available. I am going to avoid Vista for as long as possible, or until they clean up this DRM, automatic media degradation and hardware driver revocation nonsense.

The fact that they put such an enormous amount of effort into a system with its sole purpose being nothing less then purposely screwing up the user experience in Vista and destroying the \"multimedia PC\" concept that the industry has been building on for years and then thinking they can sell it as \"new and improved\" is flat out insulting to our intelligence. What makes it all worse is that the vast majority of people who will end up using Vista are exactly the kind of fools that Microsoft and the MPAA/RIAA are taking them for. If this is what the content industry calls progress, we would be better off reverting to the year 2000.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I'm thinking that the intelligent computer community is going to avoid this like the plauge for now. Untill someone can find a crack or M$ changes some things, which will not make the RIAA or MPAA very happy.
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Spooky »

Exit
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

I'm probably going to get Vista anyway, but I'm going to dual-boot it with OS X, and do any sensitive, media-related tasks on that. I'll probably only use Vista for most gaming and some schoolwork(i.e. Windows-based software programming, which is likely as I am going into the computer science program at university next school year).
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Shadowfury333 wrote:I'm probably going to get Vista anyway, but I'm going to dual-boot it with OS X, and do any sensitive, media-related tasks on that. I'll probably only use Vista for most gaming and some schoolwork(i.e. Windows-based software programming, which is likely as I am going into the computer science program at university next school year).
They'll probably start you off with Java, which is of course cross-platform compatible. With some luck, the Windowsy courses will be avoidable CS electives.