The Ultimate Controler

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

VonVentman
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

The Ultimate Controler

Post by VonVentman »

I forgot whoever said they would love to play Descent with their minds, but this should certainly interest just about anybody.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/475/1/

If this really works, I wonder how many would buy it?
I certainly would be hard sold to hang up my stick, but I'm sure this would last much longer for those who really beat on theirs.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

$300? ouch!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Would be awesome, if it works properly. Kind of hard to say though.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

We have the technology.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Frankly, I'd prefer to just have motion detectors at the end of my fingertips.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

So then when I am using the flame thrower I can really say to them \"I'm burning you with my mind.\"? :D:D:D
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

With regards to price, which would you rather have? This or the $1200 Optimus keyboard? I prefer the former.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

She's hott.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Krom wrote:So then when I am using the flame thrower I can really say to them "I'm burning you with my mind."? :D:D:D
As opposed to that dude from "Kids in the Hall" ;)

"I'm squishing your head!" :mrgreen:
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Ferno wrote:$300? ouch!
perhaps, but remember the 3D Visors for descent?? (well, you could use them for Descent) they weren't much cheaper.

I'd like to hear more once it's been out on the market a while.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

this is nothing new, and these things never work properly.

just another shitty biometric device that sounds better in your imagination, than it actually performs
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Still gotta go with this:

viewtopic.php?t=11929
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

As cool as these gadgets may sound, the gaming experience is only enhanced for the people using it. I mean think about it. The mind reacts much faster to things by itself, there is a certain amount of time it takes before the signal to your hands is actually met with a reaction by your hands.

In essence these devices would one day just allow the user to almost one shot a target every time out. Depending on what type of game you're playing. No longer would there be hand/eye coordination, but just mind/eye coordination. Aiming would be a thing of the past because your focus on a target would be much more accurate. Almost too accurate...

I don't know. In a genre like FPS where even now just a keyboard and mouse allows people to be insanely good, to me it would take the fun out of it. On the other hand though, RTS or MMORPG games would benefit greatly from such a controller because of their inherent need for multitasking.

Still, we're probably still years away from such a controller actually working how we picture them working. Where mind and machine really co-exist properly.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:Still gotta go with this:

viewtopic.php?t=11929
YEAH, works Great! TrackIR4 and Track Clip Pro user here!

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

how do you get it to see descent?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Does not work with descent(haven't tried yet because it uses mouselook) - hope CD has better luck

games I do have installed that TrackIR4 works with

GTR
GTR2
ToCa2
CMR2004
IL2-FB/AEP/PF
LOMAC/FC - soon Blackshark
FS2K4/FSX
EECH

Going to see how mouse emulation works later once I get used to it in games that do not support it

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Wonder if it works with BF2142. TrackIR4 that is.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

the TrackIR is supported by GlovePIE.

So that means you can use it for absolutely everything.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

[]V[]essenjerk wrote:Wonder if it works with BF2142. TrackIR4 that is.
Nope not for an Arcade game like that.... too bad for you huh.... go get a real game that does....like ArmA and then pissoff - []V[]essenTroll©

Now for the rest of us, check this out TrackIR with Pro clip
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Well the one thing no one is thinking about is the side affects. Over extended play will you suffer headaches?
Will there be epilectic type reactions? I think it will be a long time before I try such items and let you younger folk be the laboratory rats.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Not to mention that using the device might require a small ammount of concentration. Can you imagine the hilarity that would ensue when the user becomes distracted? ;)
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by Mobius »

TIGERassault wrote:Frankly, I'd prefer to just have motion detectors at the end of my fingertips.
If you spent more than 3 seconds thinking about that, you'd realise that's the dumbest idea EVER. What happens when you pick your nose? Scratch your face, or your ass? No - that's just not smart at all.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Mobius-brand bluntness. Gotta love it.

But yeah, I don't see an advantage in motion detectors either - that's what a joystick or mouse is, albeit in a slightly less universal form. You still get many of the same problems.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Mobius wrote:
TIGERassault wrote:Frankly, I'd prefer to just have motion detectors at the end of my fingertips.
If you spent more than 3 seconds thinking about that, you'd realise that's the dumbest idea EVER. What happens when you pick your nose? Scratch your face, or your ass? No - that's just not smart at all.
That'd be pretty funny actually. :P
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by []V[]essenjah »

BUBBALOU wrote:
Nope not for an Arcade game like that.... too bad for you huh.... go get a real game that does....like ArmA and then pissoff - []V[]essenTroll©

Looks like someone needs to change their underwear. :P

Seriously. Grow up man. I never intended what I said as an insult. This is just a little hissy-fit because you "might" have been wrong about something that had as much meaning as dirt on the ground. Note: I said "might." I never said you were wrong, I was just trying to find an answer to my question. I just tend to find, that since I don't know anyone here, personally in real-life, that it is best to look for that answer somewhere in the middle. Now, if you were my boss, and you were paying me. Then yes, I would have to trust everything you say. But your not my boss, and your not God. You aren't all knowing. Please refrain from pulling a Deidel.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

BTW: Meh at Armed Assault. There are a billion games out there exactly like it. I like games that are fantasy or sci-fi themed. If I were to just play an army game, I'd just go join the army like a couple of my real-life buddies. :)

We had like 4 games that played almost exactly the same way Armed Assault. Think it was even at the LAN actually. I wasn't really into them much. Not that it's a bad game. Just that I'm not really into it.

Besides, the only \"REAL\" games are Descent, MW2, Deus Ex, and Morrowind. :)
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:If I were to just play an army game, I'd just go join the army like a couple of my real-life buddies. :)
You have no concept of reality whatsoever, do you?
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by []V[]essenjah »

TIGERassault wrote:
[]V[]essenjah wrote:If I were to just play an army game, I'd just go join the army like a couple of my real-life buddies. :)
You have no concept of reality whatsoever, do you?
Actually I do. A game to me is a game. An escape from real life when I'm bored and have nothing better to do. I rarely play, so why not play something that allows me to explore a world I've never seen before. :) I like games that allow me to do things that I could never possibly do in real life because it's fun.

As I mentioned, I have two good friends in the military. Well.... one has gone and one is going. One friend was very changed by his experience. My other friend, I think it will be good for him. Might make him respect what he has more. Another friend I had, was trying to go, but I strongly discouraged him because he was mentally incapable. But I respect anyone that goes into the military.
There is risk in everything. I would have loved to have been a fighter pilot. I love jets. But I don't have the vision to do it. Otherwise, I would have started making that choice when I was 15. I loved jets and the ability to be in the air.
Look at this way.... some people like to watch sports and love to sit down and play a game of Madden or whatever it's called. I have played it once or twice, but quickly lost interest because I would rather get a group of friends to go hang out in one of the parks and play football instead. Not sit on my couch, get fat, and play a visual of me doing something that I could physically be doing outside. And that, I would select over sitting on my butt anyday. I simply don't hold interest in a military game. Especially if it's a ground pounder.

I know the military is serious business. But those men and women out there are making a difference in this world. Even if the guy in charge isn't the the brightest. Some of them are people I grew up with. Yes, I do know of a few classmates out there. But as I said, they are at least doing what they believe is right and not just sitting on their couches mocking those who do something. If I held any interest in the military, I would be out there. But I'm just not into it and I don't feel any immediate threat to my family. I'd do it if I had too, but I'm not going to play a game based on it for fun. Just because I'm not really interested in it. :) Simple as that. Nothing wrong with the game and I hold nothing against it. Just that I'm not interested. :)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Wop »

BUBBALOU wrote:

Did you spill the milk from your cereal this morning?