Good news for Vista-phobes

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Good news for Vista-phobes

Post by De Rigueur »

http://apnews.myway.com//article/200704 ... VLTO0.html

SEATTLE (AP) - Back by popular demand: Windows XP. PC maker Dell Inc. (DELL) (DELL) said on its Web site Thursday it will once again let home PC buyers choose between Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) (MSFT)'s older operating system and Windows Vista when they purchase certain new machines.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah, I ordered a dell for someone yesterday, unfortunately the price premium for a PC that can still be loaded with XP was to excessive. They don't let you use XP on the lower end systems. So I had to go with vista, but fortunately by cutting out the monitor and trimming a couple other options I was able to bump it up to 4 GB of ram so Vista should still run well.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Arent you suppose to be able to get a refund on the \"Windows Tax\" If you buy a machine and put another OS on it?

Of course they will probably say that voids the warrenty as well.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

That news doesn't help after the end of 2007 though!

With any luck though, public reaction to Vistash|t will be so strong that SP1 will do away with much of the crap which is vista.

I've got it running on a laptop at work, for testing purposes, and I must say, I am not that happy with it. Although, I must also admit, that when it came to add a network printer I just clicked \"Find it\" and it did. Something XP can't do.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Mobius wrote:With any luck though, public reaction to Vistash|t will be so strong that SP1 will do away with much of the crap which is vista.
...which isn't really going to happen. The majority of people that I know that have Vista much prefer it over XP.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I was told the Vista Premium 64 was worth it. The other 32 and 64 bit versions aren't. I didn't ask why but I'm assuming the features in 64 bit Premium aren't as crippled or buggy as with the others. My roommate who has that version loves it and says memory management and program loading is much better.

I'm not happy with the DRM at all... it is a total cluster______ and in response to all the current errors apparently Microsoft came up with 14 new standards and 47 more pages of whacky regulations. Thats the solution Microsoft Engineers throw more carp at the fan, that solves it.

Me, I'm looking at Mac and playing with other OS's and waiting until at least SP1 Vista... I hesitate to install the 32 bit version I have here as it sounds like drivers are still an issue.