Should I drop out of law school

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Should Slide drop out of law school?

Poll ended at Fri May 04, 2007 2:15 am

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes: 15
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Should I drop out of law school

Post by BigSlideHimself »

First final tomm, pulling an all nighter after 4 days of 12 hour sessions, easier to quit, tell me what I should do friends.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I've been sitting in this computer lab for sixty hours now, not counting the four hours I was working at my other job. Every day I wonder whether it would be better to quit and go find a job, then I realize it would be incredibly dumb to give up the opportunity I've invested in.

You've got how many thousands of dollars in loans to pay off? How far are you along in law school? If these are your last finals, then what do you plan on doing to make enough money to pay off that debt without a JD?
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I asked my self that same question every time finals week rolled around while I was in grad school. I am glad I stuck it out. You will be too. Stay in.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

If you quit now, you've wasted all this time for nothing because that is what this time will get you, nothing.

Stick to it, it will get better and in the long run, you'll thank yourself.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Here are some advice for studying (or rather cramming in your part) for finals.
-TRY not to pull an all-nighter. You won't be feeling all that good on the day of the exam.
-get in some 20-30 mins exercise the night before. It'll get oxygen flowing into your brain and you'll think much better.
-Drink more water. It'll also help your brain think more clearly.
I don't know how much caffine your body can handle. I usually just study all day until I get sleepy. Yesterday about 2:00 I got sleepy so I got a latte from Starkbucks and then I got some mountain dew when I took a break for dinner. Then I studied until I got sleepy last night and just went to bed around 10. Pointless to be studying when you're fighting sleep.

If the classes you're taking is taking up too much of your time (say 5 classes or more), then slow down and just take one less class the next semester. Better to be in school one semester longer with good grades than to graduate soon as possbile with okay grades. Just think about it, when you DO graduate, you just got 100x higher of a chance to get a great career job. That job will help you pay off that loan debt and you'll be look back feeling really awesome. College is not meant to be an easy breeze like high school. You REALLY have to work for it.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

No.

It's just that simple. My daughter did it and it's harder than hell to find a reasonable job.

*edit*

whoops.. missed the \"Law\" part. :roll:

Ok, first.. why? What is it that makes you want to stop persuing this?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Lawyer? Yea, quit now and save your soul!
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

Don't give up! First year is the hardest, and you're almost past the hump. Despair always looms around finals time, but you can do it.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Honestly, it's up to you:

-If Law School is still a priority, something you still really want, stay the fight.

-If not, but you don't know what you want, stay until you figure it out.

-If not, and you have something else that's more important, go for that.

This comes from my own personal experience. There have been times where grinding through the finish line was really rewarding (my degree in Math) because it was part of my plan, but on the other hand, there were also times where I was able to drop something without regret (my undergrad Physics major) because it was no longer a factor in my priorities.

How close you are to the finish line is a big deal, but I personally think the crux of the matter is in the question, \"Is it part of where you're going / is it important to you?\" If the answer to that is 'yes' or even 'maybe', stay the course.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Better give it some time to mull things over. It's easy to become discouraged and just quit in a moment of frustration. Maybe quitting is the better choice, but it's not something that should be decided when in a period of despair. Give it a month to think over, but in the meantime, continue concentrating on law too.
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BigSlideHimself »

While my initial post was mostly in jest - er, partially - I appreciate the thoughtful responses. If I were to be honest, law school was always a plan B, I plan to pursue plan A this summer and see where that leads. Thanks again.