Mars needs deworming!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Sudanamaru
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Mars needs deworming!

Post by Sudanamaru »

Uh, I am seeing lot of baby worms on Mars soil on pictures http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ ... 56M2M1.JPG

Zoom 2x to shadowy area at top-center, and adjust gamma correction to 1.5 or increase the brightness a bit to see these nasty worms.

Still you dont able to see them, I will put a picture with marks.
Nasa put names to stones, I prefer worms. Henry, get out of this hole, you silly worm!

Uh, these worms are everywhere, some are dead or frozen, others just about to awaking! If I were NASA astronaut to explore Mars I will refuse to go until someone deworm the whole planet.

BTW, as NASA looking for evidence of water (but not looking for anything else), these worms may provide an excellent proof of ... water)
:)
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

and they sed it was pointless to send thoes probes there
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

What worms? I see dirt.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Yeah I don't see any worms.
Sudanamaru
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sudanamaru »

Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Here's a picture from the opportunity rover. I think I see some worms in it:

http://cgee.hamline.edu/see/questions/d ... stworm.jpg
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

what worms, sunch? I don't see any.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Sundanamaru are you serious?

coz i see no worms. i do sense an active imagination though. hey can you find a skull? coz everyone starts with finding skulls in flames. try that.
Sudanamaru
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sudanamaru »

I admit these curved lines are barely visible and can be anything else like contour of sand formation or frost and also crack in soil, and shadows. But these ones are already in shadow and there are multitude of them. This rule out coincidental similarity to random forms. That is for example one can find one or few face figure in random patterns, but if there are lot of them, this is sign of these pattern are not really random but result of a process. In this case worm like figures are aboundant, so one need a theory to expain them if they are not really worm or anything organic. See also http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ ... 56M2M1.JPG
At very bottom of the picture, you can see similar stuff, curved and knotted things. Note their shadows are visible, so real things.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

What makes you posit that these things are worms?
Sudanamaru
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sudanamaru »

Just they look like worms, smooth curves and curving proportional to its thickness gives an idea about the stiffness of the material they are made. They appears also having constant thickness and not having branches, not too short and too long. Obviously they could be other things if a reasonable explaination is given.

Did you examined the latter image that I marked several "worms" at
http://orchestra.webhostme.com/images/worms2.jpg
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

lol vert
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I think some NASA guys have been staring at the pix too long.

That's a little over the top.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

who said nasa has anything to do with this theory.

you heard it first here, at the DBB :D (pats Sudanamaru on the back)

phear my photoshoppery skillz yar!!

Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

You'd think by now NASA would have the technology to take color photographs.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Jeff250 wrote:You'd think by now NASA would have the technology to take color photographs.
You'd also think they could have DSL to Mars, but hey...
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Those pictures are from Mars in the 1940's.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Sudanamaru - you need to get off the crack cocaine man. Seriously. At first I thought it was a joke - but I see you actually believe this rubbish. Laugh Out Loud. Now that *IS* hilarious.

If you can see worms there you have some pretty strong visual disturbances going on. So maybe it's the LSD and not the Crack.

Look, I'm a SUPREME optimist - and I believe there *IS* life on Mars. However, we aren't going to find it on this mission, nor the next, and probably not the one after that either.

I'd say there's a good possibility the next 2 or 3 missions may find compelling evidence for past-life on Mars. Whether that be unique biological features such as fossilised remains i.e. beds of chalk (or similar), inverse-fossils, or manage to dissect some concretions to discover ex-biological material at the centre. (Typically, concretions form around biological matter in a process called Ion Migration, in the presence of underground water).

However, the existing life on Mars is not going to be so easy to track down.

My prediction is that there are predominantly two types of life on Mars:

1) "Hibernating life" which exists in and/or on the ice caps and in ice buried just below the surface. This life will spend the vast majority of its time frozen solid. Life can survive hundreds, and even thousands or years (If protected from Cosmic radiation adequately, and water ice is a superb blocker of Cosmic Rays and other radiation) between thaws.

Once thawed, these microbes - and some of them may well be multicellular, but pretty basic - will respire, eat, process and reproduce (or begin to) before being frozen again for another indeterminate period of time.

(It seems likely that Mars has been incrementally cooling for Billions of years - and life will have evolved to "find a way" to survive.)

Other forms of this type of life may well be active during the short "summer" on mars, utilising anti-freeze chemicals which permit cellular activity at temperatures above -30 degress C or so.

2) "Deep Life". We've discovered microbes living in oil wells! 3 miles down, and in temperatures that were previously thought to denature the proteins of life. This to me says that Mars is the same, with life living deep underground, using chemical energy to survive and prosper. This life might be very difficult to detect indeed - because it may be concentrated around the remaining subterranean "warm spots".

It seems almost certain that the surface of Mars is pretty much geologically dead. There's no plate techtonic action going on. No active volcanos - and the liquid core of Mars is gradually shrinking as the heat dissipates into the now-solid mantle.

It may therefore, be difficult to locate these warm zones, and they may be too deep to drill into without a very large drilling operation.

All in all it looks pretty exciting really. But somethings are pretty much guaranteed: no complex life on Mars. No animals on Mars. No fast life on Mars. What will remain there is the dying dregs of an evolutonary dead-end. The process of life is winding down on Mars - if it once ever prospered at all - and the organisms which remain there do not have a chance long-term to survive.

All this is pretty moot though, because we'll be killing any life on Mars pretty rapidly anyway - regardless of what it is.

Within 500 years we'll begin terraforming the planet. Firstly by bombarding it with Ice asteroids and Chondrite Meteors by the thousands. If that doesn't directly kill the Martians, then the warming temperatures might temporarily offer a repreive for them. However, we'll very shortly introduce custom designed microbes which produce the poisonous gas Oxygen, and the free oxygen will kill any and all remaining Martian life.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Where do we get these "ice asteroids" from?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

space

(ps: did anyone like my moonworms pic? ^_^ it's "slimey" ;))
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

roid wrote:space

My six year old said "Look wiggly slimey worms."
Does that make you feel better.:)
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

Mobius, are you sure you're not canadian? as much as you flap your head I kinda wonder.

Stop s**tting on every thread with any humor based on possibility or reality
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

roid wrote:space

I thought it was funny as hell. :mrgreen:

Mobius: STFU and stop shitting on people's threads.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i dont see anything but rocks, dust, pebbles, and more rocks, and more dirt
Sudanamaru
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sudanamaru »

Roid, your worms are beautiful!.

Mobious, thank you, sincerely. I admit picture resolution is insufficient to identify these stuff for anything, but beside my speculation, I think they
deserve attention, needs be explained.

You possibly saw the "filament" in an early Opportunity photo
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ ... 53M2M1.JPG.
This image was discussed somehow
(http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/Stories ... 06,00.html) and subject is appears be closed by assuming this filament is belong to the airbag, Nasa did
not further investigated it, for example comparing it to a real airbag fiber. Actually this is not only fiber visible on Mars images. Even couple of them, less visible are present on that photos, and it is not difficult to see them on other places, including Sprit microscopic pictures. Most of them
are embedded on soil texture, mixed with sand, dust and the frost. This rule out the airbag hypothesis.

The point here is, everybody wants authoritative answers and discoveries and
wants to see something impressive, well presented, so one would say Wow! I think the media have an impact on our sense, our brain may reject to see things having poor visibility, which does not gives an immediate "image". If the input is not recognized in the first instant, we don't further spend time but skip it.
This is because there are lot of other data queued around, for example it is not possible to read everything posted in DBB forums, so
we optimize our time and our effort to follow it. Even roid made his worms colourful, well drawn with authentic looking with shades. I ask how many of you saw the color to b/w transition he made?

Anyway, there should be several people in this forum examined my "earth worms" and appears they did not see anything unusual. This surprised me.
aldel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by aldel »

Just curious - do you think you see evidence of life here?
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Depends... what is it?
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

circa 1970 sliding plastic shower door?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

DarkShadow wrote: My six year old said "Look wiggly slimey worms."
hah yeah :D
Sudanamaru
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sudanamaru »

A strong possibility but not the undeniable evidence. Even non organic origin, this fiber network could be carried here artificially, I mean trough a non natural process.

On the otherhand, surface of this texture appears very flat and smooth, (can be seen from reflection) can be only produced by solidified liquid surface, naturally. If this not the case it should be produced by an non natural process.

This process can be attributed to a living organism, human manufacturing, or non organic as robotics. Robotics activity in turn should be considered as evidence of life.
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

roid wrote:
DarkShadow wrote: My six year old said "Look wiggly slimey worms."
hah yeah :D
He was calling his curly pasta the same thing at dinner
the night before he saw that pic roid. He lol'ed at your pic for about 2 minutes straight.:)