Halo 2 PC

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Halo 2 PC

Post by Duper »

..Nearly a reason to buy Vista.. nearly

Review and trailer here
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

nothing is worth Vista, not even Halo 2, which wasn't very good to begin with.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

I laughed pretty hard when i first saw vista. Notably, microsoft word.
Macs are trying to become Pcs, and Pcs are trying to become macs. when they find the middleground, macs're going to die 'cause of being 50x the price.
Ie, a mac charging plug being 200$ as opposed to a 5$ line for a pc.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Macs have gone down in price considerably, but its not like you are paying a premium just for a name.

but what windows PC lets you easily takes stuff from your video camera and and makes a dvd with a custom soundtrack from out of the box?
Munk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Munk »

If you open any Windows version out of the box, you will find that you cannot do anything with it. For each thing you want to do you will need a ton of extra software, because - let me put it in words - all those shipped software sucks (Internet Explorer, Media Player, MSN Instant Messanger ...)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Munk wrote:If you open any Windows version out of the box, you will find that you cannot do anything with it. For each thing you want to do you will need a ton of extra software, because - let me put it in words - all those shipped software sucks (Internet Explorer, Media Player, MSN Instant Messanger ...)
Of course those programs suck because Microsoft has a monopoly on the market and can't include really good programs with it because of legal pressures.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Munk wrote:If you open any Windows version out of the box, you will find that you cannot do anything with it. For each thing you want to do you will need a ton of extra software, because - let me put it in words - all those shipped software sucks (Internet Explorer, Media Player, MSN Instant Messanger ...)
o_0

what does that have to do with Halo 2 PC? just curious..

I didn't really mean this to become another Vista bashing thread... not that it isn't "justified". What do you guys think of what you see in the trailer? the Halo 3 trailer looked pretty good too.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Duper wrote:
o_0

what does that have to do with Halo 2 PC? just curious..

I didn't really mean this to become another Vista bashing thread... not that it isn't "justified". What do you guys think of what you see in the trailer? the Halo 3 trailer looked pretty good too.
hehe :lol:

I was thinking the same thing.

After watching the Video. This version of Halo 2 looks far better then the one released for the Xbox.
Its a shame that they would only release this version for Vista. :|

Having said that, just because Halo 2 is ment for Vista doesn't mean that someone won't hack it to get it to work on XP. ;)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Went to link and didn't see any link to actual trailer (and yes I even tried the movie trailer link)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

oops
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

woodchip wrote:oops
Why the oops?

You find it here? :)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

oops = double post. And yeah, your linky worked better.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I watched it and I think UT2K is very much the same.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

The biggest bonus it has over the Xbox version is the level editor!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

TIGERassault wrote:The biggest bonus it has over the Xbox version is the level editor!
Seriously, concidering that Halo 1 PC didn't really have a full editor. They said something about real time file sharing where levels are concerned. What I'm a bit curious and possibly miffed about is that you have to be a "Gold" member (.er.. yeah.. whatever) to play with folks on xboxes through LIVE. meh..
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I don't think you'd be able to use the edited maps with xbox players anyways.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

It's very difficult for me to care about a three year old FPS, let alone the company asking me to pay $199 + $50 to play it. The fact that it requires DX10 is ridiculous. If Half-Life 3 or a likewise game that pushes the graphics envelope wants to, that's fine. But Halo 2? That's just petty.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I fully agree on this one. Kyouryuu, you should just get a regular X-Box and play it if you don't like the expense. I'm sure lots of people have extra Box's laying around somewhere. :) I still really enjoy Halo, but it being on the X-Box is what makes half the fun. The atmosphere, just sitting on the couch with your buds and linking two or three TV's together for a serious game. That's fun. I miss the days when I could do that. Good times.

I wouldn't rush out and buy Vista and Halo 2. Especially since it is a 3 year old FPS game.

Not only that, but it looks exactly like it did on X-Box. Just higher resolutions. Yay?
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Kyouryuu wrote:It's very difficult for me to care about a three year old FPS, let alone the company asking me to pay $199 + $50 to play it. The fact that it requires DX10 is ridiculous. If Half-Life 3 or a likewise game that pushes the graphics envelope wants to, that's fine. But Halo 2? That's just petty.
It doesn't require DX10 for it's graphics capability, it requires DX10 because that's what it was made in, and that's the most efficient free thing out there for the job.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

[]V[]essenjah wrote: I wouldn't rush out and buy Vista and Halo 2. Especially since it is a 3 year old FPS game.
Oh pishaw. I haven't played Halo 2 at all. I also buy games that are well over 3 years old ...not for much though. What's wrong with playing a game 3 years old??? Cripes, Descent is what.. 10..11 years old now? I STILL play D1. btw, Halo PC still sees about 1000+ players every night.

I'm not going to get it as I'm not happy with being strong armed into having to buy a new OS.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

That's Halo 3. ..but yes, it Is a better trailer.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I never got to finish the Halo 2 campaign when I borrowed a friend's XBox a couple years ago.

I'd love to play it on PC... but requiring that I buy Vista just makes it way too expensive for me right now.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Foil wrote:I never got to finish the Halo 2 campaign when I borrowed a friend's XBox a couple years ago.

I'd love to play it on PC... but requiring that I buy Vista just makes it way too expensive for me right now.
At least it'll still be there when you get a new computer!
Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deathwinger »

Vista's pretty cool actually. When I get a new system I'll install this handy Ultimate Edition I got laying around. ;)
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Neo »

Spaceboy wrote:Macs are trying to become Pcs, and Pcs are trying to become macs. when they find the middleground, macs're going to die 'cause of being 50x the price.
Ie, a mac charging plug being 200$ as opposed to a 5$ line for a pc.
You finally said something noteworthy. =P

That's really true. Macs are trying to become PCs... I noticed this a long time ago. They still aren't as good as PCs, though. And PCs are trying to become macs... well at least they'll be easier to use! =)

Uh... were we talking about something? Halo 2? What? ^_~
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

TIGERassault wrote:It doesn't require DX10 for it's graphics capability, it requires DX10 because that's what it was made in, and that's the most efficient free thing out there for the job.
No. The Xbox had the technical equivalent of DirectX 8.1. Dozens of games have been ported from the Xbox to the PC that didn't require DirectX 10. This was a conscientious decision to boost the sales of Windows Vista and promote the Games for Windows initiative.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Kyouryuu wrote:
TIGERassault wrote:It doesn't require DX10 for it's graphics capability, it requires DX10 because that's what it was made in, and that's the most efficient free thing out there for the job.
No. The Xbox had the technical equivalent of DirectX 8.1. Dozens of games have been ported from the Xbox to the PC that didn't require DirectX 10. This was a conscientious decision to boost the sales of Windows Vista and promote the Games for Windows initiative.
I would have thought that, but Microsoft didn't need to use DX10 as a reason to make it Vista-only.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

TIGERassault wrote:
Kyouryuu wrote:
I would have thought that, but Microsoft didn't need to use DX10 as a reason to make it Vista-only.