D1x freezes

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

NWRhino
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D1x freezes

Post by NWRhino »

I have D1x_140ogl, d1x142_oglmax, d1x143_oglmw. They all 3 work with sound, for a short period of time. Then they start stuttering and freezing for a few seconds at a time, then unfreezing. Any idea why? My system is a 1.8 ghz p4, geforce 2, xp professional, 512 MB ram. Any ideas? Thanks
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

sound card?
NWRhino
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NWRhino »

Hmm, can only get it to work 1024x768 full screen capped at 40 fps. Works fine then, but in no other video mode. Weird. Well, a bit more info to anyone interested in playing d1 :] Me an Aenn Sidhe Priest are reliving "back in the day" ^^
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

*sigh*....

Run it at 800x600 for best results, cap the fps at 80 or 60 by editing the D1x.ini file, otherwise your settings will be erased each time you start D1x.

If you don't have a D1x.ini, open notepad and paste this...

-pps 6
-shortpackets
-noredundancy
-playermessages
-maxfps 80
-msgcolorlevel 3
-nicefps
-fullscreen
-joypolled
-notitles
-missiondir C:/Games/Descent/levels
-dynamicsockets
-gl_mipmap
-cockpit 2
-gl_reticle 1

Then save it as D1x.ini in your Descent directory. (If you don't have a seperate levels dir for D1 then the "-missiondir path:" isn't needed. If you do, put in the correct path to your levels dir).
NOTE: -Joypolled only applies if you're using a joystick. If not, don't paste it.

-nicefps takes care of the "stuttering" or "temporary freezing" problems most people have. Also do what MD said and check your sound card settings. Make sure in dxdiag (start/run/dxdiag = go to sound tab) that your hardware acceleration is set to "basic".

It's generally a good idea to stick with one version of D1x. So, I recommend using D1x1.43_oglmw.exe only as it is the latest and has the most recent bug fixes etc...etc..

Also, not like it matters for D1 since the default drivers would be sufficient, but you might want to get the latest nvidia drivers available or find out which driver set worked the best with a GF2.

As a last resort you also might want to try compatibility mode located by right clicking the program shortcut selecting properties then selecting the compatibility tab. Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select Windows 98/ME. If this doesn't help, also try Windows 95 and repeat the process with Windows 2000 in the event that 95 does not work.

Hope some of this helps...and remember...

Shop smart....shop S-MART, YOU GOT THAT!?! ;)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Hail to the king baby !! :mrgreen: