Armageddon, Oil and Terror: What the Bible Says About the Fu

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Armageddon, Oil and Terror: What the Bible Says About the Fu

Post by Dedman »

Armageddon, Oil and Terror: What the Bible Says About the Future (Hardcover)
by John F. Walvoord (Author), Mark Hitchcock (Author)

Has anyone heard of or read this book? It was recommended to me by a tinfoil clad friend. I was just wondering if it is worth buying.

NOTE: I put this in E&C just in case the thread goes off topic and a debate ensues.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

Is judgment day coming sooner than we think?
What? When do you think judgment day is coming? Someone has a specific date in mind? Truth is no one knows, not even Jesus knew/knows (Matt 24:36, \"Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.\")
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Nice. Off topic in one post. I'm just looking for some differing views about the book from people who have actually read it.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

I have not read that one...I'm interested in Hitchens' new book about the big delusion (religion).
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

Sounds like more over-the-top futurist dispensationalist sensationalism to me. It's really starting to wear thin.

I'm not too familiar with Hitchens, but I expect it's going to be more popular-level religion bashing by someone completely lacking relevant knowledge to pontificate on \"religion\", ala Richard Dawkins.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

Firewheel wrote:I'm not too familiar with Hitchens, but I expect it's going to be more popular-level religion bashing by someone completely lacking relevant knowledge to pontificate on "religion", ala Richard Dawkins.
As opposed to someone completely lacking relevant knowledge pontificating on origins and the validity of science, ala creationists?

And we're back off-topic again. Let's not play this game. We can give each other more credit than that. :roll:
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

christianbook.com wrote:Is judgment day coming sooner than we think? Discover 12 biblical prophecies that seem eerily close to being fulfilled in today's headlines! In this updated and expanded edition of his previous bestseller Armageddon, Oil, and the Middle East Crisis, scholar Walvoord offers vital new material culled from study, lectures, and discussions since September 11, 2001. 288 pages, hardcover from Tyndale.
So yeah, it sounds like another 'the world is coming to an end!' book.
Take another shot.
DCrazy wrote:And we're back off-topic again. Let's not play this game. We can give each other more credit than that. :roll:
Hey, you're the only one going off-topic!
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

DCrazy wrote:We can give each other more credit than that. :roll:
We never have been able to before. What has changed? :D
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I haven't read the book. Honestly, though, if you want to know what the Bible says about the future, shouldn't you read the Bible itself?

(The rest of you... at least pretend you're on topic, please.)
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

Lothar wrote:I haven't read the book. Honestly, though, if you want to know what the Bible says about the future, shouldn't you read the Bible itself?
The Bible gives one perspective. Other books may provide a differing perspective. In the interest of gaining a broader knowledge of a topic wouldn't you agree that more data points can be better?
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

More data points are generally better, but of course the most important thing is to know how to evalulate and analyze data. Since the title was \"what the Bible says about...\" I figure the Bible itself is the natural starting point, and everything else has to be weighed against it. (You might find my wife's Biblical Interpretation material worthwhile in helping you decipher what the Bible itself says.)

The main reason I doubt the book will be useful is that Biblical prophecies tend not to be of the \"fortune-telling\" variety, but more like the \"riddle that will suddenly make sense after the historical events referenced happen\" variety.

But hey, if the guy is a prophet like people say he is, you can wait until the next chapter of his book comes true and be sure ;) Since you were looking for recommendations on whether or not to buy the book, I'll give my rec of \"don't buy it until one of the prophecies already on the page comes true.\"
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

Lothar wrote:Since you were looking for recommendations on whether or not to buy the book, I'll give my rec of "don't buy it until one of the prophecies already on the page comes true."
Fair enough thanks.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Lothar wrote:if you want to know what the Bible says about the future, shouldn't you read the Bible itself?
Yep.
To give a non Biblical example of the same idea, a lady once came over to my house, and when she heard I was a C. S. Lewis fan she got very excited and told me SHE was a big Lewis fan as well! She wanted to see my Lewis collection, so I pointed her to the proper bookshelf. There she found the Chronicles of Narnia, The Space Trilogy, Mere Christianity, Surprised by Joy, Reflections on the Psalms, The Abolition of Man, The Problem of Pain, the Screwtape letters, God in the Dock, etc, etc, and so forth.

She looked the collection over with a puzzled expression. I said, "Whats wrong?", and she replied, "But where are your C. S. Lewis books?" I was a bit baffled, I pointed and started naming off the titles. Finally a light dawned on her face and she said, "OH! Those are books BY C. S. Lewis. I haven't read many of those. Where are your books ABOUT C. S. Lewis?" And I had to confess that I only had one (on another shelf somewhere)), and I wasn't certain if I had ever gotten around to reading it.

This lady seemed to think that being a "C. S. Lewis Fan" meant reading lots of biographies about Lewis, but never getting around to touching his own works. On that topic, I felt that C. S. Lewis had a quote that applied very well. I can't find the original quote right now, but paraphrased he said, "If you are going to study the great classics of literature, study the classics themselves, never the books ABOUT the classics. Because the great classics of literature might be boring, or they might be exciting, but in all cases, the books ABOUT the great classics will just be boring" :)

Reading books ABOUT the Bible can be very useful and educational, but I think they are best used as an adjunct after one has read and studied the Bible itself.

I discussed some of my interpretations of prophecy in this thread
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Guys, chill the ★■◆● out. It's a book. A friend who has heard about it but not read it yet recommended it to me and I'd never heard of it before. I was looking for some feedback from someone who had actually read it. I'm not looking to debate the merits of reading the bible vs a book about what the bible says. I was just wondering if anyone here has read it and what they thought about it.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Dedman wrote:Guys, chill the **** out. It's a book.
My apologies, I haven't read that book, so I have nothing to contribute, EXCEPT, that this post IS on topic since it discusses whether or not I have read the book in question. ;)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

for the recored ..or whatever.. I have not.

:mrgreen:
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Firewheel »

DCrazy wrote:
Firewheel wrote:I'm not too familiar with Hitchens, but I expect it's going to be more popular-level religion bashing by someone completely lacking relevant knowledge to pontificate on "religion", ala Richard Dawkins.
As opposed to someone completely lacking relevant knowledge pontificating on origins and the validity of science, ala creationists?
Actually, I agree with you. This is one of the problems I have with young-earth creationism in particular. Like I've said before, because I lack the time and resources to investigate the issue fully, I'm not really of any opinion on this subject other than that I believe God did it and the YEC position is most likely wrong.