One town witnesses UFO sightings!

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

One town witnesses UFO sightings!

Post by Kiran »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

It's one thing when you have a few people claim they saw UFO's... but it's another when you have an entire town viewing the sightings in one night! :P

What do you think of this coverage on the double digits of viewers seeing the UFO's at once?
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

It doesn't suprise me theres aliens, but that is weird...
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Eh, doesn't seem like too much of a tabloid thing. But it's catching some American websites' eyes :P
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

The Mail isn't an out and out tabloid, sort of a middle of the road kind of paper. However, there are a sh1t loads of pubs in Stratford. ;-)
Blue
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blue »

i thought this was the stratford in CT at first, i was all excited :(
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

\"Nice\" thing about that little piece of journalism is that they do a real crack job of reporting what the official sources had to say about what terrestrial craft might have been on scheduled flights. Pathetic.

Also, there's nothing too curious about UFO sightings. Sightings of extra-terrestrial spacecraft are another thing. Everything in the sky is a UFO until someone knows what it is - that doesn't make it extra-terrestrial.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

What we do know from the reports is:

1) It was at night which excludes aviation formation flying.

2) One object traveled at high speed and then slowed to join formation which precludes hot air balloon.

3) No noise which again excludes hot air balloos as you can hear burner while they flame on. Also excludes firework

4) Report by air traffic control not seening anything on radar is meaningless

5) Multiple viewings which excludes one person making it up.

So what does that leave?
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Hippies like Palzon with too much time on their hands.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

woodchip wrote:5) Multiple viewings which excludes one person making it up.
Yes, but it doesn't exclude multiple people making it up or one newspaper company making it up.
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

Some folks had been stating that it was balloons released from a wedding celebration nearby, but those were awfully bright balloons if that was the case.

I think what annoys me the most about sightings like this is that you almost never get to hear what the real source of the sighting was (alien or otherwise). And with as many sightings as have occurred over the years, you would LIKE to think that some of them were genuine and the world populous would be allowed to know about it.

Knowing that they really existed without a doubt would have adverse impact upon some religious institutions, I'm sure, but overall, I think the world would hopefully stop and think for a little while about it. It's likely that some good would come of it. A lot of things that seem important to you now would suddenly have their focus shifted a little. Our space program would get a huge shot in the arm, for example. We might actually be able to get off the Earth and set up a colony on the moon or Mars.

With the rate that we're destroying this planet, if we don't make great strides in that direction soon, we're gonna be in the kind of trouble that ends civilizations.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

Sllik wrote:And with as many sightings as have occurred over the years, you would LIKE to think that some of them were genuine and the world populous would be allowed to know about it.
If aliens really wanted to come to Earth, our governments would be powerless to keep the secret under wraps. Just send saucers to a handful of different places on the globe.

No, the real problem are the knowingly fake sightings and "witness accounts." Roswell, for example, is really dubious in my opinion as a town where plenty of people clearly profit off the perpetuation of the myth.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Kyouryuu wrote:If aliens really wanted to come to Earth, our governments would be powerless to keep the secret under wraps. Just send saucers to a handful of different places on the globe.
Really though, if aliens wanted to come to Earth, they'd land, and stop just flying close enough so that they're already in the atmosphere yet look like they're just travelling by.
They also wouldn't be flying in round, flat ships, and the posession of lights on one of their ships is questionable itself.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Look, you only need Occam's Razor here people.

Which is more likely: aliens formation flying for the pleaure of piss-pot town residents, or some earthly explanation?

I'll take \"other earthly explanation\" any time, thanks.

Try reading Michael Schermer's brilliant book \"Why people believe weird things\".
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I've seen one a few years ago.
There were three lights in a triangle and it was hovering in one spot.
After about 3 minutes it slowly started to accelerate and then it got really really fast and disappeared upward.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Behemoth wrote:I've seen one a few years ago.
After about 3 minutes it slowly started to accelerate and then it got really really fast and disappeared upward.
Let me guess: This was on your way to the airport for your midnight flight?
:P
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

TIGERassault wrote:
Behemoth wrote:I've seen one a few years ago.
Let me guess: This was on your way to the airport for your midnight flight?
:P
No.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Lions, and tigers and bears, Oh My! :oops:

:wink:
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I read the first comment directly below that article and found that as the crow flies the distance between the two viewing points and rough time estimates given, translates to the objects speed of around 600-700 MPH.

If that speed were say 6,000-7,000 MPH then I would start wondering what type of technology can achieve this in our atmosphere.

Perhaps it was experimental Harrier technology and they are trying to perfect the speed and time duration limitations the technology currently suffers.

I myself have seen those formations in a Prairie Sky close to an air base, and it was British Harrier jets practicing hovering in formation at night with their powerful lamps on. Airports typically are told not to report Military Maneuvers to Civilians for obvious reasons, so a blackout condition exists.

I tell you when I first looked up and saw it I had a chill run down my spine... then I watched how they moved and although they hovered and could accelerate quite fast, it didn't seem like \"out of the ordinary fast\" to me. Strangely the formation I saw resembled the snapshot on that site as well. I gather an Officer or Squad Commander was evaluating the performance of the pilots.

I've also seen exotic black delta wing craft, and a shiny tube/cigar shape vehicle skipping on the atmosphere with pulsed contrails, but I'm pretty sure those are ours. I've also witnessed some funkiness so I believe that we are not alone.