The Black Sites

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

The Black Sites

Post by Kilarin »

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007 ... rentPage=1
An interesting New Yorker article on \"The Black Sites\" and torture by Jane Mayer.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

9 pages. And I'm guessing that nearly all of it is reporters trying to sell paranoia.
Yeah... I'm sure it's really worth reading.... yup..
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Tigerassault wrote:And I'm guessing that nearly all of it is reporters trying to sell paranoia.
Yeah... I'm sure it's really worth reading.... yup..
If you are comfortable with your guesses, then by all means don't read it.

I would like to see an in-depth analysis of how accurate her article is by someone in opposition, but so far I haven't been able to find one. A few conservatives ranting "liberal terrorist lover!" don't really help much.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Hah...paranoia. Given the fact that Bush emptied the very prisons that are spoken about...I don't think she's selling paranoia. It's the truth..the horrible, horrible truth that people like you think that we can pull people's fingernails off, beat the piss out of them, and god knows what else just for s.hits 'n giggles.

Must be part of the compassionate conservatism shown by our Republican contingent.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Zuruck wrote:Hah...paranoia. Given the fact that Bush emptied the very prisons that are spoken about...I don't think she's selling paranoia. It's the truth..
The problem is that BOTH sides are guilty of spreading propaganda. I don't like many of the things Bush has done, to put it mildly. But the other side lies as well. So I don't automatically believe everything bad anyone says about Bush.

Facts are in short supply from both sides of the political spectrum.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Kilarin,

as I'm sure you know, we all have a multitude of things we could be reading right now. You'll have to do a better job of selling this article if you want serious discussion.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

You've got the BlackSites all wrong. Everyone knows that's where the aliens come from.

We really need that immigration reform...