Is there a program...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Is there a program...

Post by Dakatsu »

that will play a musical note, and make me give what note it is as an answer? I am trying to train my ears so I can natrually tune the guitar without a tuner :)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Google knows

Find a free tuner, and just listen to the notes...play A for 5 minutes, then try to tune the A string. Play A again to see how close you were, de-tune and try again.

It just takes time.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

If you have a 98 or 95 cd you should be able to find qbasic and write a program to do that, it's pretty simple.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Ow, QuickBASIC flashback. That hurt!

Actually, I did use QuickBASIC (That one compiled) to write songs. A friend of mine even transposed a Van Halen song in QuickBASIC. I know, crappy little PC speaker, but it was still great!
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Testiculese wrote:Google knows

Find a free tuner, and just listen to the notes...play A for 5 minutes, then try to tune the A string. Play A again to see how close you were, de-tune and try again.

It just takes time.
I want to learn every note, I am bad at intervals :(

And I don't have Win98 or Win95 CD, ironically we have 2000, ME, XP, Vista, and a version of DOS :P
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

Do you have a piano or keyboard? You can hit a random note, guess it, and then check to see if you were right. No program needed.

Actually, though, you don't really need to learn every note. Learn the low E note, and then use harmonics to tune the other strings. My friend who is experienced with a variety of stringed instruments tells me that this method will get you better in-tune than using a tuner can.
C:\\>cd games\\descent
C:\\GAMES\\DESCENT>descent
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Agreed, using harmonics is very accurate, assuming the note you're starting from is accurate. I'm just a fledgling guitar player (I don't pick my guitar up very often), so I haven't learned to tune by ear very accurately, but I've been using harmonics to tune for a long time.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

Testiculese wrote:Ow, QuickBASIC flashback. That hurt!

Actually, I did use QuickBASIC (That one compiled) to write songs. A friend of mine even transposed a Van Halen song in QuickBASIC. I know, crappy little PC speaker, but it was still great!
I too did a QuickBASIC composition program some 12 years ago. After responding to some text prompts, it takes you to the staffs, where you type keys to place the notes and rests, and it deliniates the measures as you go, letting you enter up to two pages. You can then save the song and load it for playback (but not for editing) later. Helped me practice choral songs in high school, really impressed my director. Let me know if you want to see the source...
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Wishmaster wrote:Do you have a piano or keyboard? You can hit a random note, guess it, and then check to see if you were right. No program needed.

Actually, though, you don't really need to learn every note. Learn the low E note, and then use harmonics to tune the other strings. My friend who is experienced with a variety of stringed instruments tells me that this method will get you better in-tune than using a tuner can.
I know harmonics (where you hold the 5th fret and tune to that), the problem is I use many tunings (Normal, 1/2 step down, 1 step down, 1 1/2 step down, 2 steps down, Open D5, Open Eb5, Open C5) so I honestly just want to learn all the notes. Besides, it would help in my music class (I have to try to guess notes in six weeks)
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

The problem is, either you have absolute hearing, or you do not. You can't train it.

What you can do when tuning a guitar however, is take your best guess at the first string you tune, then tune the rest of them matching the first. Thus you can tune a guitar that will sound perfectly fine on its own, but might be slightly off-key when playing toghether with other instruments.