buying music online

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

buying music online

Post by ReadyMan »

I just got an ipod shuffle (for work), and want to buy some music online, however I dont want to buy it from itunes. I like having my music in .mp3 format, and I dont mind converting to itunes format, tho I DO mind converting it from itunes to .mp3 (breaking the protection etc).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good site to buy music from? Keep in mind that I dont want to do this on a monthly basis, just buy a couple of songs now and then.

Thanks!

RM
Fighting villains is what I do!
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

I don't believe there's a legal way to purchase music in MP3 format. You can buy the CDs online and then rip them at home.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

A friend of mine swears by eMusic, although it is subscription based and doesn't carry the most popular bands.

This is a situation that I feel, given a couple years, could eventually resolve itself. It is the Wal-Mart effect. With both Apple and Microsoft pushing the record industry to relent on DRM, and digital sales of music through these outlines exploding in popularity, the seller will become the one who dictates the terms, not the vendor.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Well, allofmp3.com is back so you can always use that.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

So I'm curious....with all of the audiophiles here on the dbb, are most using itunes and it's proprietary music format for their ipods? and if you want to make a music cd for your car, etc, are you just cracking the protection of the format?

--I held off getting an ipod all this time just cause I didnt want to deal with the proprietary format of apple--mp3 is just so much more versatile.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

There are ways to convert out of Apple's format. I reason I have iTunes is much the same reason I have an iPod - there is a critical mass of users around the product. As such, there are tons of free and open source programs and converters related to it. I don't honestly think the iPod is the best media player out there - but there are advantages to using a product millions of others are also using.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Audophiles don't use iTunes. No way. Outside the little earbuds of an iPod, iTunes' quality simply can't cut it. No online store will give you good quality recordings. They charge you as if you bought the full quality wav file, however. :roll:

AllOfMP3 has wav files of songs you can then set a real bitrate (variable) and make your mp3 for the car. If not, it has 320vbr in various formats which is 2x the quality of the best iTunes garbage. 320vbr is just under half-cd quality on the curve. The only problem is it's standing with the RIAA criminals.

For absolute legality and quality, buy the CD on Overstock.com or something.

So why get an iPod in the first place? Get a Sansa or a Creative. They don't care what you put on them, they will play it. Why chain yourself to the overhyped, overpriced mainstream?
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

ReadyMan wrote:So I'm curious....with all of the audiophiles here on the dbb, are most using itunes and it's proprietary music format for their ipods? and if you want to make a music cd for your car, etc, are you just cracking the protection of the format?

--I held off getting an ipod all this time just cause I didnt want to deal with the proprietary format of apple--mp3 is just so much more versatile.
Honestly, I just buy CDs, as you can play them, burn them to your computer, and add them to your mp3 player.
Nergen-Ak1-Defender
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Nergen-Ak1-Defender »

Dakatsu wrote:
ReadyMan wrote:So I'm curious....with all of the audiophiles here on the dbb, are most using itunes and it's proprietary music format for their ipods? and if you want to make a music cd for your car, etc, are you just cracking the protection of the format?

Honestly, I just buy CDs, as you can play them, burn them to your computer, and add them to your mp3 player.
Go to ebay. Its even cheaper!
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

gomusic.ru or mp3search.ru
thwart
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by thwart »

Have you tried Walmart? I order a custom CD with the songs I want then I make ogg files for my computer.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Thwart, that's a great idea. do you do that online, or at the store itself?
thwart
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by thwart »

Right online at www.walmart.com. Select entertainment->music->custom cd. Spread the word. I want them to keep doing this.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Pandora »

So why get an iPod in the first place? Get a Sansa or a Creative. They don't care what you put on them, they will play it.
What do you mean? The iPod also plays .mp3, .wav, .m4a ... the only things it doesn't play is ogg and WMA.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Re:

Post by Richard Cranium »

Pandora wrote:
So why get an iPod in the first place? Get a Sansa or a Creative. They don't care what you put on them, they will play it.
What do you mean? The iPod also plays .mp3, .wav, .m4a ... the only things it doesn't play is ogg and WMA.
I think what they are getting at is you need to use a program like iTunes to import the music to the player were some devices just appear as a disk drive and you can just copy the music files over to it in what ever format you like.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Pandora, do a search for problems with iPods and music. You'll get a few million hits. Do another search for any other (well, not the Zune) player and you'll come up empty. There aren't built-in artificial corporate restrictions in the rest of the world of players (except Zune, that thing makes the iPod look feasible)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Steve Jobs is not your friend

iPhone, iPod, same garbage, different name. This is what I'm talking about. Why would you buy a product from a company that acts like this?

(Cue MS Software complaint...while valid, there's no viable choice for most there)
Plague
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Plague »

First choice is AllOfMP3.com, which can now also be accessed at mp3sparks.com. Second would be Amazon's new download service. DRM-Free 256kbps VBR MP3s. Still not as good as setting your own format from allofmp3, but better than iTunes.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I didn't feel like reading the whole thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned already. I heard on NPR this morning that Amazon is going to start selling music content on line. I think they are selling individual songs like iTunes but the pricing structure is going to be different. The file format wasn't mentioned. You may want to check that out.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

thanks for all the suggestions!
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Strife »

Why not get whatever file you want... if its the worng format... convert it...
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Conversion loses quality.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

The Internet Archive has music you can D/L free. It's legal, the bands have given permission for this. The catch is that a lot of it is live-miked, as such the quality can vary. Most files are available in ogg, vbr mp3, and some in 64k mp3. Some pages also have a streaming option for preview.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i don't buy music anymore. It makes me feel like i have a record company exec in my basement that i descend the stairs and torture every now and again - and i like that feeling.

a lot
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

I'm so old I actually remember records and 8 track tapes. :)
Heck, my grandfather had a reel to reel machine that we played with when I was a kid.

So far I've purchased all of my music on CD (or record, or tape...) I Decided to take the plunge and try the new amazon mp3 store.

There are about 10 Weird Al songs that I'd like to own. Unfortunately, they are scattered on about 8 CD's, and I didn't want to buy that many! So, 10 bucks for 10 mp3's sounded just great.

No luck. Weird Al is apparently not on one of the labels that Amazon carries. :(
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

If you're not a Walmart-hater...

You'll find decent rates at their online store, though not all tracks are available in MP3 yet.
C:\\>cd games\\descent
C:\\GAMES\\DESCENT>descent