I will never paintball again.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

I will never paintball again.

Post by Bet51987 »

First, I was required to take a 10-minute safety lesson to go over some of the rules of what you can and cannot do and how not to get kicked out of the building. Then, because it was my first time, I was required to wear a long sleeve protective jacket, pants, gloves, helmet and goggles. Most of the others only wore goggles and ear protectors.

It was a big place full of wooden barriers, fake boulders, and dim lighting but anyway my friends and I were crawling around just shooting at anything that moved while trying to advance to their base and get a flag. Its not a complicated setup and because we were in the beginner section we were allowed to get shot several times before the referee makes you go back to your fort. The only time you really have a chance to hit someone is when they move between the barriers on the way to your command post so you have to look without getting shot. I got hit more than I want to say and the impact on your clothing from a paintball is both awesome and scary at the same time and my adrenaline was running very high.

Although we were there for two hours the actual game was only 45 minutes and in that time we managed to come in dead last. In the end, I did manage to shoot someone I didn't know and she showed me the welt on her arm that I gave her. Although she was laughing as I told her I was sorry, it didn't help my stomach feel any better. I never hurt anyone in my life and I didn't feel good about it for hours after that. I know it hurt her and I don't think I'm going to play that game again. :(

I’m surprised, however, at the number of women that were playing in the advanced section that looked like they were really in the army.

Bee
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Being Irish as I am, I don't think you want my opinion on the matter.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I have one question.. Were you aware of what could happen when you paid your money, entered the building and signed the waiver?
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Mr. Obvious Says...

Post by Canuck »

Bet51987 needs more practice. Keep in mind Bet51987 that you are addressing an audience that essentially since birth, have played games like chicken with knives, darts, bricks, rocks, and basically anything that we can throw or maim with. Also BB guns in my time still could shoot through plywood and leather jackets as they had no restrictions on FPS at the time... so we played cowboys and Indians with those, along with bows and arrows, crossbows and slingshots, and yes people did lose their eyes and even bled profusely at times. If you feel bad over raising a welt I guarantee you'd not survive a Zombie Apocalypse

Mr.Obvious has spoken.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

oh the many times i have bled by consequence..
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Mr. Obvious Says...

Post by Duper »

Canuck wrote:Bet51987 needs more practice. Keep in mind Bet51987 that you are addressing an audience that essentially since birth, have played games like chicken with knives, darts, bricks, rocks, and basically anything that we can throw or maim with. Also BB guns in my time still could shoot through plywood and leather jackets as they had no restrictions on FPS at the time... so we played cowboys and Indians with those, along with bows and arrows, crossbows and slingshots, and yes people did lose their eyes and even bled profusely at times. If you feel bad over raising a welt I guarantee you'd not survive a Zombie Apocalypse

Mr.Obvious has spoken.
mR. Idiot.

lol..you are in the minority. i never played games like that.;)
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

I played paintball once. I hated it. About I managed to do was get really sweaty under all the stupid \"protective\" gear, and shoot one of my own teammates.
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

Canuck wrote:Bet51987 needs more practice. Keep in mind Bet51987 that you are addressing an audience that essentially since birth, have played games like chicken with knives, darts, bricks, rocks, and basically anything that we can throw or maim with. Also BB guns in my time still could shoot through plywood and leather jackets as they had no restrictions on FPS at the time... so we played cowboys and Indians with those, along with bows and arrows, crossbows and slingshots, and yes people did lose their eyes and even bled profusely at times. If you feel bad over raising a welt I guarantee you'd not survive a Zombie Apocalypse

Mr.Obvious has spoken.

Yeah we did that dumb stuff as kids. My cousin and I would stand nose to nose and shoot an arrow as straight up as we could, and watch it come down. The first one to move was chicken. :shock: Then we did the knife game where you stick the knife between each others feet, and keep moving you're feet closer each time. Still have scars from that one.
Our house was the paintball place while my teen sons were still at home. We have 2 1/2 hilly acres, covered with head high oak brush and cat claw bush. Makes great natural cover. we would have 15 kids blasting away, then they'd all come in covered with welts for food and LAN games. They tried to get me in the paintball, but I'm old enough not to enjoy pain any longer, so I watched from the hill top. :P
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

grizz wrote:you're
Gawd damnit, between you and Bet...
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Ferno wrote:I have one question.. Were you aware of what could happen when you paid your money, entered the building and signed the waiver?
Yes and no. I didn't think the paintball would hurt someone that much. I saw welts on a boy once but thought it was just them not obeying the rules or shooting up close.
Canuck wrote:Mr.Obvious has spoken.

:) I didn't do too well in the online quiz getting only 21%.

I don't feel bad about it anymore and my dad said it was her fault if she chose not to wear body protection but I didn't like the fact that I gave her a welt. Not for me.
TIGERassault wrote:
Tiger, your spelling errors are starting to bug me.

Bettina
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Bett called me an idiot, my fweelings have a welt now :(
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

You felt bad? Haha. Giving someone a welt is like giving them a bragging right to show off to other people the fact that they like paintball, you did a good deed not a bad one!
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Canuck wrote:Bett called me an idiot, my fweelings have a welt now :(
No I didn't.. where?

Bee
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Bet51987 wrote: Yes and no. I didn't think the paintball would hurt someone that much. I saw welts on a boy once but thought it was just them not obeying the rules or shooting up close.
It doesn't hurt that much.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Bet51987 wrote:Tiger, your spelling errors are starting to bug me.
"Gawd damnit" wasn't a mistake.
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

TIGERassault wrote:
Yeah Tiger, hard to believe I won the school spelling bee 2 years in a row, ain't it? :P
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

grizz wrote:Yeah Tiger, hard to believe I won the school spelling bee 2 years in a row, ain't it? :P
Spelling? But you made a grammar mistake!

Gah, this is not my favourites of threads.
(yes, that was also done on purpose)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Firewheel wrote:I played paintball once. I hated it. About I managed to do was get really sweaty under all the stupid "protective" gear, and shoot one of my own teammates.
kickvote initiated for TKing? how would that even work, hmm. (*thinky noise*)
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

My brother had a paintball gun and I was shot in the back with it once. It stung, but it didn't hurt. :P I think I would like playing paintball, as long as I have protective gear on. However, I will never know for sure until I try it out...

Bet, I think you would have more fun at a laser gun game than a paintball game. Just make sure you don't accidently hit someone in the head with the gun! That happened to my friend and she had a terrible black eye from it. Was kinda funny, though...
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Deleted....
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

TIGERassault wrote:
grizz wrote:Yeah Tiger, hard to believe I won the school spelling bee 2 years in a row, ain't it? :P
Spelling? But you made a grammar mistake!

Gah, this is not my favourites of threads.
(yes, that was also done on purpose)
Don't go talkin' about my Grammar. She was a sweet lady. :roll:
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I've never enjoyed the 'small field with a bunch of miscellaneous objects for cover' style of paintball. Players are way too close (and thus shots hurt), and the strategy is too limited.

What I've enjoyed is the 'huge open field with terrain and trees, capture the flag' style game, where you're playing on at least a couple of acres, and you're able to sneak around or play defense from long range. When shots pop over your head or at the bushes next to you, and you duck into the stream for cover to figure out where you're getting shot at from, and then move around stealthily to flank them. THAT's the kind of paintball game I enjoy. (Just like in D3, I'm always a flag-runner, lol.)

I don't blame you for not enjoying the style you played, Bet. I don't, either. Just don't write off paintballing altogether, as there are probably other sites which have a more open/strategic feel, and shots aren't from so close.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I was going to write a book of scathing commentary.

Instead I'll just make a suggestion or two:

Bettina should probably stick with playing with dollies if she doesn't want to hurt anyone.

If you're going to be a grammar nazi, even in jest, remember the importance of NOT looking like an idiot.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

It seems quite silly to me to waste time telling Bettina she shouldn't be playing paintball, when the point of her message was that she doesn't think she should be playing paintball.

She didn't say no one else should play paintball. She didn't say that people who play paintball are idiots. She just said that she doesn't like risking that she will hurt someone.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Kilarin wrote:It seems quite silly to me to waste time telling Bettina she shouldn't be playing paintball, when the point of her message was that she doesn't think she should be playing paintball.

She didn't say no one else should play paintball. She didn't say that people who play paintball are idiots. She just said that she doesn't like risking that she will hurt someone.
But then what can we waste time talking about in this thread? When there's nothing to talk about, it's less of a Topic and more of a Facebook journal entry.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

I see nothing that relates to a journal entry :P Other than useless posts about grammar mistakes and bashing, some people actually commented or voiced their opinions on the topic of the tread. :P

Foil,
that picture of playing paintball you told us sounds more appealing than what Bettina had to play in. Keep that up I just might drag my fiance' and friends with me to play paintball :lol:
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Just so you can see a bit of what I'm talking about, here are some pics of the different 'fields' at one place I've paintballed.

They have the usual smallish 'Speedball' fields (probably like what Bet played), which I really don't enjoy much at all.

But the ones my friends and I always played were the \"Woods\" fields (my favorite being one with a creek bed running through it) and their \"WWII\"-themed field. Those fields were a blast! The teams start far apart, so you have to be really wary of sounds and watching for camouflaged enemies, especially when trying to be quiet and sneak toward their base. Dashing around and over the terrain and a few very scattered cover points... it's so much more enjoyable that way.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I think the main thing is that one just needs to learn to be more accurate.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

WarAdvocat wrote:If you're going to be a grammar nazi, even in jest, remember the importance of NOT looking like an idiot.
Your right. I removed my entry. It was a half hearted attempt to invoke a Star Trek episode which contained a sphere called "Nomad" who thought he was perfect. Although I would have been interested in what your scathing commentary would have been about. :)
Kilarin wrote:She just said that she doesn't like risking that she will hurt someone.
Exactly. It's hard to explain the feeling I got. It's a fun game but it's not for me. :)
TIGERassault wrote:But then what can we waste time talking about in this thread? When there's nothing to talk about, it's less of a Topic and more of a Facebook journal entry.
Tiger, if you didn't like my thread all you had to do was ignore it. I sent you a PM.

Bettina
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Perhaps you should find a laser tag arena then. ;)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

sorry but i just have to say it!

Paintball is for sissies!

WAR GAMES! ARE FOR THE REAL MEN AND WOMEN!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Ok, thats just begging for a response. :)

First person to shoot Ace in the leg with a 50 cal desert eag...err paintball gun gets $50. :P
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

for $500.00 I'd even do it with a .50 ;) Rumor has it, it would blow his leg clean off.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Foil wrote:here are some pics of the different 'fields' at one place I've paintballed.
COOL!

There is a huge outdoor paintball park only about two miles or less from my house. Basically, the family set up the back woods to play paintball in, then decided to invite friends over, then started charging the public to play on weekends, just to support their habit. :)

They have bunkers, trenches, the works. I'm just dying to take my kid and go try it out sometime.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

If that's so, Ace, shut your @#$%ing mouth and go join the Army. The only thing worse than a sissy is another sissy picking on him (or her).

Men don't wage war. Men have a big enough penis to not bother. Women don't wage war because they don't have a penis at all, so don't bother.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

AceCombat wrote:WAR GAMES! ARE FOR THE REAL MEN AND WOMEN!
what are those?
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Canuck »

Bet51987 wrote:
Canuck wrote:Bett called me an idiot, my fweelings have a welt now :(
No I didn't.. where?

Bee
Oops me the skimmar, it was Duper! /me pokes Duper with a pointy stick... you some kinda Nancy boy EH? What do you have against Lawn Dart wars and firecrackers shot at you with slingshots? Bah you missed out on valuable life experiences.

I got 92% on surviving a Zombie Apocalypse however there wasn't points for knowing how to convert TV flyback transformers into lethal Tasers.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Canuck »

MD-2389 wrote:Ok, thats just begging for a response. :)

First person to shoot Ace in the leg with a 50 cal desert eag...err paintball gun gets $50. :P
Hehe I'm making one!
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Now i want to play paintball!!
Thanks for the inspiration guys! =DD
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Spaceboy »

Testiculese wrote:If that's so, Ace, shut your @#$%ing mouth and go join the Army. The only thing worse than a sissy is another sissy picking on him (or her).

Men don't wage war. Men have a big enough penis to not bother. Women don't wage war because they don't have a penis at all, so don't bother.
Then what does that make people who DO wage war? Haha.
I've never paintballed but i've always really wanted to.