Descent 1/2/3 LAN/Tournament in Baltimore, MD Aug. 30-31 '08

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Gandalf Stormcrow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent 1/2/3 LAN/Tournament in Baltimore, MD Aug. 30-31 '08

Post by Gandalf Stormcrow »

Okay, this is happening. Post saying whether you plan to attend or you might be able to attend. Also, post if you can bring a full setup for yourself and any additional hardware (networking, spare pc, etc). The only required fee to attend is for the tournament(s). I definitely want us to do singles tournaments at the least. Check out the rest of the post for more detailed information on what I'm thinking of doing for this event.

I have hosted over half a dozen tournaments from 25-80 participants at my college. On February 2nd/3rd of 08, I am hosting a 250-450 person national gaming event on campus (super smash bros. melee). I have experience hosting gaming tournaments. I also attended Descent 3's Chicago Lan 2k4.

WHO'S COMING?!!

WHERE: The University of Maryland Baltimore County Student Organizations Room, located inside The Commons building on the 3rd floor.

WHEN: Saturday and Sunday Aug. 30-31 of 2008 from 10am till 10pm both days. Building closes at midnight each night. Note that Monday September 1st is Labor Day.

PARKING: Free parking along the loop (Hilltop Circle) which circumferences the entire campus. Parking in the Commons Garage is also free.

ADDRESS:
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
HINT: Use MAPQUEST!

CAMPUS MAP:
http://www.umbc.edu/aboutumbc/campusmap/map_flash.html

TOURNAMENTS:$15 for 1v1 and $15 for 2v2 ($30 per team). Doubles will be done using Double Elimination and Singles will be done using pools (if we get 16+ entrants, otherwise Double Elimination). Doubles begin at noon on Saturday, and singles begin immediately after doubles. Note that we will be doing a total of SIX tournaments if we do both singles and doubles--one tournament for D1/2/3. The prize money will be divided by $5/person per game. Every participant is expected to play each game in tournament. D1xx-rebirth and D2xx-rebirth or any other version of D1x/D2x is acceptable for use with the exception of D2xl, which is banned for all play. I will use Nealdt's Tournament Organizer program to create pools/brackets and seed based off of skill and location. I will not be the only person to do seeding.

RULES:
- First map agreed upon by both players
- Dave’s Stupid Rule (DSR): No map may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that map.
- Stage Knock Out: Each person may choose one map to be disabled for the entire set. It must be chosen at the beginning of the set.
- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser chooses the next map.
- Each game is best to 20 points or 30 minutes
- Best 2/3 games wins the round
- Respawn set at 30

Tournament Levels: (TBA)

Prize Payouts:
Singles:
1. 60%
2. 30%
3. Money back or 10%

Doubles:
1. 60%
2. 30%
3. Money back or 10%

FACILITIES: There are several possible locations on campus for this event. I'm thinking of hosting it in the Student Organizations Room. There will be many tables, chairs and outlets. It will be well lighted and comfortable. I have plenty of power extension cords and power strips. I also have an 8-port 10/100 switch, a 4-port 10/100/1000 switch, and a few other 4-port switches. However, it would be best if someone could bring a 16-port (or more) switch. The building has enough power to supply for 16 computers. If a lot of people are interested in attending this LAN/Tournament, then I can easily upgrade to a bigger room. There is no limit; we could host a LAN for 200 people and not have to purchase outside power. UMBC is that amazing.

There are 4x27\" tv's in the game room and 1x50\" tv. There are also 8xpool tables, 2xping pong tables, air hockey, foosball, chess, checkers, and 4x360/Wii/PS3 - but that's all irrelevant to Descent players! In The Commons building is a restaurant that is like a hybrid between McDonalds/Burger King that sells burgers and such. It's open till 11:30pm.

SNACKS/POOL:When people wish to purchase a drink or snack from the game room, as well as play pool, you must pay money into a machine to get a guest card. The game room does NOT accept cash; you must pay with the guest card. The machine is located just inside the game room doors to the left. The process goes like this: 1. hit start, 2. Purchase Card, 3. Insert $1, 4. Start, 5. Add money to account, 6. Swipe card, 7. Add bill, etc. Then just present the card to the game room staff and they will subtract the amount from the card balance. Thanks!

DIRECTIONS AND PARKING TO UMBC: There are two main entrances to UMBC. One is off of I-195. If you are choosing this entrance, once you reach UMBC, you should make a left onto Hilltop circle (the circle which goes around the campus) , and then make a right at the first light. This brings you to several parking lots in which you are allowed to park for free during weekends. The other entrance is for people coming from 695, or from Catonsville. These drivers should enter thru the traffic round-about on Wilkins avenue, and head straight into campus, and go straight through the light to reach that same parking lot.

Copy and paste the link below and enter your address to get your own directions to campus.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... &z=15&om=1

MY DIRECTIONS: The Commons, as you can see on the campus map, is basically in the center of campus. You know you're in the center of campus because there is a large field with the library at one end of it. The Commons is on the side of the field. You know you're in it because there is a front desk, a floor with all food eateries, the book store, Chevy Chase Bank (and an ATM), and a game room on the 3rd floor with a bunch of smashers. You'll have to walk up a steep/long ~20 step flight of stairs to get to the game room. IF YOU CAN'T FIND IT, JUST ASK ANYONE ON CAMPUS. It's really easy to find it, lol. This isn't UMD College Park.

HOUSING/MOTELS
I can house up to four people in my dorm room. I have one free bed, and the rest will have to go on the floor. If several people rent one room, the rate is very reasonable ($10-20/person).

Name: Comfort suites: Linthicum Heights
Phone: 1-410-691-1000
Info: two Q-beds suite 89 bucks a night, 10 minutes from Lan

Name: Quality Inn Baltimore
Address: 1401 Bloomfield Avenue, Baltimore, MD
Phone: 1-410-646-1700
Info: apparently 160 a night. Group rate for another event I hosted was $68/night, oh well.

ATTENDING:
[III]Jesus Freak *UMBC*
[III]Shadowfox *UMD CP*
[III]IceHammer
Behemoth
Testicules
Kompressor
Suncho
Colin *NS Canada*
007Guy
00Guy's wife
00Guy's son/Death Grip
Candyass
Djcjr
steveg aka clone7 aka lancer

POSSIBLY ATTENDING:
[III]Alien
D3K-Monkey
D3K-Matrix
D3K-Krom
Sythe
Falkor
Djcjr
007Guy
Mike *Penn State*
Grampa
predator
Brandon *Naval Academy*
Arild *Norway*
Dennis *Toronto*
William B *UFlorida*
William S *Georgia*
Matt *Villanova*
Oleg *NY*
Megan
Jon *UMD CP*

Computers: 5/x (bring extras just in case)
JF's laptop
JF's desktop
007Guy's rig
007Guy's wife's rig
007Guy's laptop

BRING YOUR OWN PC/LAPTOP, A 20+' CAT5E CABLE, AND NETWORKING GEAR (you know if you have it. Good switches/routers)

- [III]Jesus Freak
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

well we haven't had a LAN announcement in some time so this gets an automatic sticky.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

That's an hour (or so) from here. Komp could go too :)
Gandalf Stormcrow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Come on .net, we have almost twice as many views on the .com site and 10 posts! Anyone else coming or might be able to come besides Testi and Komp?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

still six months away man. things like this take some time to get rolling.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I doubt I can make it, but if I can, I'll bring some extra equipment (including the 16-port switch we used in NYC last year).
OO7GUY
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by OO7GUY »

wow 160 bucks a night at that motel....think il shop around

Edit: Comfort suites: Linthicum Heights 1-410-691-1000 two Q-beds suite 89 bucks a night, 10 minutes from Lan

ps.put me down for a go, room reserved it will be my son/DeathGrip my wife and I. two rigs and a laptop and CAT5 cables
Shaken, not stirred
Gandalf Stormcrow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I updated the attending list in the first post.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Damn I wish I was 18...
\"Honey, I am going to go to Baltimore to play videogames nshit!\"
Gandalf Stormcrow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

hehe @ dak

The week prior to the LAN, I will take photos and videos of the campus and throw them up so people know where to go. I got an awesome new camera, so I need to use it for something :)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Argh, I wish I could make it...
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

The rules remind me of Magic: The Gathering pre-release tournaments... too bad I can't come. (I live in Winnipeg, for one thing, and I don't drive. I'm a fast walker, but I'm starting at the University of Winnipeg on September 3rd, and I don't think I could walk THAT fast. (If you don't understand the point of my last sentence, that's okay, because there isn't one.))

BTW - I'm 18, so there.
Gandalf Stormcrow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

That's hardcore, Alter-Fox. :)

I plan on revising the rules between now and the tournament. I'll figure out something fun and efficient.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

It already sounds fun. That's why I wish I could come.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

The turmoils of being a college student: An awesome lan is coming, located miles away, and you can't make it because the semester is starting too close to the date. *sigh*
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I keep trying to figure out a way to get there. I really enjoyed playing with Candy and 007 and the rest last year... but the birth of my first son takes priority. :)

I hope you guys have a blast, and if anyone is coming through Denver, let me know... I'll loan out some of my equipment (16-port switch, server machines, extra joysticks, etc.).
steveg
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Local

Post by steveg »

Hi,

I live in Baltimore, so I don't see how I could resist coming... you can put me down. I didn't even realize there was a .com version of this site... so I'm just posting it here.

Anyway, I used to go by clone7 or lancer... but if you could just put me down as Steve, that'd be great. I'm currently trying to obtain one of these 3dpro converters so I can get hooked up again and have it work with XP and DXX-Rebirth.

Testiculese, I hitched a ride with you and Demon to the Suncoast LAN in Flordia. Do you remember?

Will you be playing much D1 at this LAN? That's all I'm really good at...

Thanks,
Steve
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Yes we will be.
Gandalf Stormcrow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Awesome, steveg. There will be a lot of D1 played at this lan. I'm looking forward to playing you.

lancer sounds familiar...
MOB-Sythe
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by MOB-Sythe »

If I can scrounge up the money I'll be showing up, not working at the moment... lol. (I hate having to remake bb accounts lol)
Gandalf Stormcrow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Ice says:

\"Well it is looking more and more like I really will be able to make it to this. Got the wife sniffing around for a good rental car deal for me, cuz she is afraid my old shitbox won't be able to make the trip without a breakdown. Remember the old blue station wagon from ChiLan, fellas? I still have it but now it has 270,000 miles on it and there is more rust than car these days. Anyhow if you know of anyone that might need to be picked up somewhere between Michigan and the site, have them contact me.\" -[III]IceHammer

One of these days I'm gonna update the threads with new info. On August 18 I'll throw up a video of how to get to the LAN site. I may also show how to get to my dorm for Ice's sake, though it should be simple once you're on campus.
steveg
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Hi

Post by steveg »

Hi,

Unfortunately, I'm not going to make it. I'll actually be out of town this weekend helping my sister move!

What unfortunate timing for me... but have a great time guys!

Steve
Gandalf Stormcrow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

If you haven't already, check out this thread on the descentbb.com site, cause I am too lazy to post the same thing to 2 sites.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Guy with short brown hair = me
Guy with bandana = Behemoth
Guy with red hair = Suncho
old white guy = Ice
My roommate is the guy in the background
Neo looks like Neo from the Matrix... I think, right? Well, what can I say he's black? lol