Space Simulation programs... any suggestions?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Space Simulation programs... any suggestions?

Post by SirWinner »

Looking for a GOOD space simulation program BUT it MUST have Joystick Control + Keyboard controls similar to Freespace and Freespace 2.

Have seen a few but with little or NO Joystick Control.

In my opinion, It isn't a REAL space sim WITHOUT Joystick Controls as an option. As an acquaintance told me:
\"A space sim WITHOUT joystick controls boils down to a role playing game in space!\"
One example of a game that looked nice but missing joystick controls: \"Freelancer\" - It was a cool game but there is no way that I can steer with mouse.

Joymouse shouldn't be required to play a game that overlooked REAL joystick controls!

While EVE looks interesting, I can't afford Pay to Play online only games. Yes, they have offered a 14 day trial... but that just isn't long enough.

Space Cowboy Online is missing Joystick Controls! ACK!

DarkStar 1 was Single Player ONLY but had joystick controls... Good game overall that had a mix of several games all in one... Space Simulation for the most part, some Descent type levels, and a couple of 3D space \"missile command\" type levels.

8)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

you might want to look into this one. Babylon 5 I Found Her

This really is an incredible game. It's Free. It's a stand alone. ..that is it's not a FS2 Mod. And the starfuries fly like star furies.

It's a bit big but pretty cool.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

i liked elite 1, 2 and 3. in e2 and e3 you could even try to land on planets with somewhat real physics heh. nothing better then hammer your ship into the athmosphere of an gas-giant with like 100000 mp/h and see \"game over\" hehe. but that was old ms-dos games and i am not sure if they had joystick-support.

i know only one real good spacegame that fits your needs. its a little bit older too, from around 2000 but runs fine on any modern pc with windows.

Edge of Chaos - Independence War 2.

http://www.i-war2.com/

this is in my opinion the mother of all space games. it has the storymode, upgradestyle etc. compared to or even better as freelancer, action and fly-physics, joystickcontrols, missiondesign and so on beats freespace easy. give it a try, you wont be disappointed.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Also this except like EVE it is online:

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infini ... _proto.php
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

Never saw anything like FS 1 or 2 again which is sad... but I hears the \"X\"-series should be good as well.

However if you like Star Wars, try out some X-Wing Rebellion or stuff like that. These games are also very similar to FS. Old, but good
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

There are very few Joystick-controlled games avaliable nowadays, but if you don't mind older games, I reccomend any of the X-wing Vs TIE Fighter series. I have all three, and they're brilliant!