I feel sorry for you Americans.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

I feel sorry for you Americans.

Post by Flabby Chick »

I live a kazillion miles away from y'all, yet the bloody election is on all over the media...all the time.

Don't you ever get sick of it?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Yes.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Duh? Always been annoying, even when I wasn't in a position to vote ever...
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

Oh yes, especially since it started a full year ago. Not that I don't think it's important; people are just being stupid about the whole thing.
C:\\>cd games\\descent
C:\\GAMES\\DESCENT>descent
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

I pretty much ignore the whole mess, and just read up on a basic rundown of each candidate at some point.

I tend to think the opposing parties just play both ends against the middle anyway, so I try to vote for the lesser of the two evils.

Of course you never have to deal with any controversy in Israel, right? :roll:
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Our election years shenanigans may be pathetic ... but at least we do get to vote.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

For some reason I figured the rest of the world got their ears full of our election... apparently I was right!
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

TechPro wrote:Our election years shenanigans may be pathetic ... but at least we do get to vote.
Exactly, and it will be my first time voting for a president. :) I take it seriously too.

Bee
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Vote for the serious candidate: Vote Mickey Mouse 2008!
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Pumo »

Krom wrote:Vote for the serious candidate: Vote Mickey Mouse 2008!
LOL! :lol:
Nice one Krom :P
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Bet51987 wrote:
TechPro wrote:Our election years shenanigans may be pathetic ... but at least we do get to vote.
Exactly, and it will be my first time voting for a president. :) I take it seriously too.

Bee
I get to vote in the next one, so when our country explodes due to whichever liar gets elected, I get to help choose the next liar that will make us feel better and more represented!
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Its the democratic way... though voting is a nice thing that we enjoy.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

It gets very annoying when they start spamming the phone... political messages are exempt from the 'Do Not Call' list. But that's ok, I don't have a phone!
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

I think everyone was so sick of the current prez they couldn't wait to get started. But I knew the playing field would thin out and a lot else would happen by now so I didn't pay close attention last year. Such early exposure takes the big risk of tired everyone out too early. Let's hope we all still care come November.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

Dakatsu wrote:For some reason I figured the rest of the world got their ears full of our election... apparently I was right!
Very much so.

For some reason, I actually have some interest though. The Democrat side is looking to be somewhat historic one way or the other.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Last night on Israeli television they were lauding 'Barak', comparing him with JFK and King...the conlcusion was he's probably get shot if he won the election. Nice.

Meanwhile, Mr Bush is visiting town tomorrow.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Heh, I don't have my ears full of the presidential candidacy... I am too busy with other things and I don't watch tv much.
However, at some point in time I will also do some research on our candidates before I vote.
But right now, based on unresearched uneducated lack of knowledge, I'd vote for Obama. That man's got lots of charisma and I like that. :P
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Flabby, can you send a note to a suicide bomber and let him know, then? Thanks!
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Testiculese wrote:Flabby, can you send a note to a suicide bomber and let him know, then? Thanks!
As much as I hated Clinton when he was president, the last thing I would wish for was his death. Way to go Testy. :roll:
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

No joke, but in 1997 my own country, several thousand people actually went to vote, wrote in "Dustin the Turkey" as an option, and voted for him instead! Which is a huge figure for a country with only 5 million inhabitants.
For those of you who are wondering, "Dustin" is Ireland's most popular puppet, and everytime a general election came around, he'd make a small mock-campagin of him running for president. And it had become a custom to vote for him for president.

Still, I would like to see one American election where 'a head of cabbage' was one of the options, just because it would weed out those that don't care about the election enough.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I can't defend the guy, but at least we got foreplay with Clinton, Woody. Bush deserves to be thrown out of a truck in the middle of Iraq for what he's done over there. Here he's so guilty of treason there's not enough ammo for each offense.

Tiger, all the candidates are a head of cabbage..we're still stuck at square 1.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Giant Douche/Turd Sandwich 08!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

Dakatsu wrote:Giant Douche/Turd Sandwich 08!
...what?
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Well, I voted today so it's all done for me...:)
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Sirius wrote:
Dakatsu wrote:Giant Douche/Turd Sandwich 08!
...what?

:)

Another South Park reference:

Vote or die, mother f*****, mother f*****, vote or die!
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

I'm worried about the Iraq situation. I'm sure people have heard that we can't fund the war, but we are looking into spending ~$700m on a bikers' trail in Montana or some state like that :?

I hope our new president can take charge and straighten us out!
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

Red_5 wrote:I'm sure people have heard that we can't fund the war, but we are looking into spending ~$700m on a bikers' trail in Montana or some state like that :?
$700,000,000.00?!?!? That has to be some trail! As a cyclist, I'll be all over that when it's done!
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I usually just pick whichever one isn't Bush or Hillary and run with it. :twisted:
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Red_5 wrote:I'm worried about the Iraq situation. I'm sure people have heard that we can't fund the war, but we are looking into spending ~$700m on a bikers' trail in Montana or some state like that :?

I hope our new president can take charge and straighten us out!
IIRC all the top tier candidates want to stay in Iraq, including Obama. No-one's entirely sure how they plan on paying for it :lol:.

The only one i've heard of who wants to leave Iraq is internet and military-personnel favourite Ron Paul :).
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Clinton, McCain win in New Hampshire. Looks to be an interesting next few weeks. Super Tuesday is coming up soon. We'll get a better idea on who is going to win the respective party nominations then. As it stands now it's still a toss up.

P.S. Shouldn't this be in E&C?
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Re: I feel sorry for you Americans.

Post by JMEaT »

Flabby Chick wrote:I live a kazillion miles away from y'all, yet the bloody election is on all over the media...all the time.

Don't you ever get sick of it?
Actually the coming elections have me kinda excited. We have our 1st female and african american canidates, if either of them are elected we will be viewing one for the history books 1st hand. :)
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

That'd be exciting for me if I didn't dislike both purely on basis of their politics (I'm rather conservative). :P I'd take Alan Keyes any day, though.
C:\\>cd games\\descent
C:\\GAMES\\DESCENT>descent
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: I feel sorry for you Americans.

Post by Kiran »

JMEaT wrote: Actually the coming elections have me kinda excited. We have our 1st female and african american canidates, if either of them are elected we will be viewing one for the history books 1st hand. :)
Wait, I'm not understanding your statement clearly. You saying this is the first time we have female and african american canidates? If so, then no, Hillary and Obama weren't the first. :P
I can't quite remember who, but I know for sure there was one woman who ran, but I can't clearly remember about the african american part... a quickie research I made isn't helping me figure that one out :P

However, you're right on one part. This race will be one to be put on the history books.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I think he means the first credible African American and female candidates. If you actually look at the ballot during a presidential election there are usually 15-20 names on the list and most of the time reading the ballot is the first time you have heard of most of them.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Yes, Iowa is allready historic by all accounts. For a state that is 95% white to chose an African American for their nomination is quite remarkable.

NH must be a bunch of racists. :oops:
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

You may be surprised to learn that THE 1st woman presidential candidate was in 1872.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fe ... candidates
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

Gooberman wrote:NH must be a bunch of racists. :oops:
I'm guessing what really happened was that all the male pundits on TV and also John Edwards blasted Hillary for crying, saying it was scripted or worse, a sign of weakness and the women voters got mad and switched votes from Obama and Edwards to Hillary out of spite. Hee hee.

Plus NH women tend to be older and more conservative. :P
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Re:

Post by JMEaT »

Krom wrote:I think he means the first credible African American and female candidates. If you actually look at the ballot during a presidential election there are usually 15-20 names on the list and most of the time reading the ballot is the first time you have heard of most of them.

I don't like to get into politics usually, but I'm going to. :P

I voted Republican in the past, I will not be this time however. The reasons are personal. I am very impressed with Obama, he seems very credible. Clinton however... can suck a duck. :P
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Who in his infinite wisdom would have Simba the lion as the Secretary of Defense. ;)
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Around mid day, it looked like Obama for sure. But then Hillary gained votes at the end of the day. Record turnout, it was a mob scene. The election in my town was held in the grade school gym, which has poor parking to begin with.