Have to watch an ad to watch a trailer??? WTH!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Have to watch an ad to watch a trailer??? WTH!

Post by WillyP »

This is the most retarded thing I've seen in the last five minutes (not including roid's thread about 'it's gone': now you have to watch an ad for esurance, whatever the heck that is, before you can watch a click on 'Space Siege Official Trailer 1'. Well, a trailer is an ad, so why should you have to watch an ad to earn the privilege of whatching an ad? I'm going to bang my head on the wall now.

actually, come to find out, I didn't have to watch the ad... the link 'watch' from the same page dosen't play the ad. Very strange.

ps... I decided not to bang my head, that would probably hurt.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

A lot of websites have started to put ads around any content they air, even other ads. It's really annoying.

My dad had some kind of anti-scripting software on his laptop that effectively stripped the queuing of video ads from before the desired video, at least on nba.com. I wish I could remember what the software was. The logo was a big letter S with a red circle and slash through it, or possibly a big snake with the same.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

I think the problem is there are so many ads now people have become good at ignoring them, they lose their effectiveness, so now webmasters are getting more creative at getting people to actually view the ads.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

Lothar, could that be NoScript? It is a pluggin for FireFox. Very effective. A bit annoying since the first time you visit a web site, you may get no content displayed. I've been using it for some time now and have gotten used to it. At first, I thought my browser was broken. :)
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

Why are you so surprised at something that can be easily explained by greed?
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Have to watch an ad to watch a trailer??? WTH!

Post by TIGERassault »

WillyP wrote:This is the most retarded thing I've seen in the last five minutes (not including roid's thread about 'it's gone': now you have to watch an ad for esurance, whatever the heck that is, before you can watch a click on 'Space Siege Official Trailer 1'. Well, a trailer is an ad, so why should you have to watch an ad to earn the privilege of whatching an ad? I'm going to bang my head on the wall now.

actually, come to find out, I didn't have to watch the ad... the link 'watch' from the same page dosen't play the ad. Very strange.

ps... I decided not to bang my head, that would probably hurt.
What about things like XBLA, where you have to get the console first to be ablle to shop on it. That's buying something to earn the privilege of buying something. Why don't you go bang your head over that too.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

i have configured my opera browser that way that i have radio buttons in the toolbar already.

these radiobuttons are \"disable flash and other plugins\", disable \"java script (most annoying)\" , \"disable send referer\" and \"disable sun java applets\"

per default all 4 options are set off, i enable them only if its really needed. makes surfing the web enjoyable again if only html is shown. no full screen ads flying over the content.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

...I'm missing what the big deal is here. 30 seconds really isn't that long.
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

No, it's really not. If I want to watch something that much I'll wait.

There are more annoying ads out there... anything that talks to me (Congratulations! You have won blah blah blah... - Oh, I want to scream) or covers what I'm trying to read, those are the ones that are genuinely stupid. The more obnoxious the ads become, the more I love their competitors. :P
Nergen-Ak1-Defender
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nergen-Ak1-Defender »

Talking about ads. There now really starting to put them in supermarkets and gas stations. Its just a form of legal harassment.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

It does get a bit much. Pretty soon we'll have them tattooed on the back of our head. Parents with lots of kids could recoup their investment by shaving the kid's heads and renting the space to advertisers.