Device to log into wireless radios to check singal with?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Device to log into wireless radios to check singal with?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Just wondering, would there be any such device, that you can use to log into a wireless radio and check wireless signal with? I was wondering if there would be such a thing as a pocket PC that could be used with ethernet and adapted for this purpose?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

As opposed to a wired radio? ;)

I think there are some smart phones that can link up to wifi, at least enough to tell you that they are working.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hehe, not sure you know what I'm referring to. I'm a wireless installer. I would just like some little device I could climb up with, plug into the radio, log into it and check the system out. Not to see if it is working. I want to check the signal strength. I haven't played with pocket PC's. The other day, I was just wondering if they would have a decent enough browser to log in via IP or if I could modify something to do that. Other than a laptop. I can't take a lappy everywhere I go.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

If you want to measure signal strength, doing so from the source point is not how you would go about it. Signal strength is a function of distance from the point source (Coulomb's law and all that).

Do you mean power output?