Getting sick of snow and ice!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Getting sick of snow and ice!

Post by Tunnelcat »

This is getting OLD now. It snows at night, then turns to rain/snow mix in the daytime, the streets partially clear up. Then it refreezes solid at night which promptly gets covered with more snow before morning!

The result, the roads are covered in snot ice topped off with a new layer of snow and accumulating ice chunks, which the city vainly tries to plow and cover with gravel for car travel.

It's been staying around the triple point (around 32 degrees) for two weeks, and I live on top of a f*****g steep hill! It needs to either warm up or get colder at least! No more snot ice, please! AAAAAAAAAAAAARG! :x
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Pretty much the same here in New Hampshire, 'cept I don't live in a city. The roads are either sandy or icey.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

lol TC, I feel your pain. We had that happen a couple of years back.. did it all week. I spent 2 hours every day on the phone calling my production team telling them that we wouldn't have work that day. o_0

that suxd!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Winter Tires help in Winter. We've had a wild winter. We had over 150 inches of Snow in the month of December alone. That was more than we got all season last year.

Then it rained for 4 days and had +10c weather. It melted most of the snow. Now we are stuck between a bit of snow, sleet, rain, freezing rain and fog.

Makes driving vunderbar. :D
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

Ugh. I hate it here in Utah. Although snowboarding this weekend will be really good... :D
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Red_5 wrote:Ugh. I hate it here in Utah. Although snowboarding this weekend will be really good... :D
Don't move to Idaho or Wyoming. :P
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Snowboarding solves each and every one of your problems.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Wheeze87 »

Money! wrote:Snowboarding solves each and every one of your problems.
Exactly!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Gads! I just got through shoveling off my driveway, AGAIN! Three inches of WET snow last night, like shoveling concrete. I've found new muscles I didn't even know I had. I don't mind cold snow, but this wet crap is pissing me off! It's heavy and sticky and not even good to ski in.

To add insult to injury, the idiots that drive the snow plows here are not practiced in the art of NOT blocking someone's driveway when plowing the street, so we get big mounds of icy slop that require either driving over or shoveling away to get out! Unfortunately, my driveway is steep, so I need to clear it off to get back into the garage.

I own a four wheel drive Jeep that does just fine in good cold snow, but with this wet, sloppy and icy garbage, it'll swap ends in a heartbeat! In these conditions, I don't even want to drive out and have to avoid all the other drivers that have never driven on ice. There seem to be a lot of those types here.

At least it is supposed to warm up a little and rain for a few days, but the snow is forecast to return this weekend, more snot ice and slush again!

It's been fun watching the snow on my neighbor's roof though. They have a steep smooth concrete tile roof and when the snow is thick and heavy and starts to melt, it starts to slide and fold up in a big mass. After it bunches up for a while, it will then move all at once like a big blanket and plop on the driveway. BAM! I'm waiting to see if they get damaged hoods on their cars since they parked them right underneath! You'd think they would learn. :lol:
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Yeah, I have exactly the same problem as you have!

Only, without the snow and ice.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

tunnelcat wrote:To add insult to injury, the idiots that drive the snow plows here are not practiced in the art of NOT blocking someone's driveway when plowing the street, so we get big mounds of icy slop that require either driving over or shoveling away to get out!
http://www.jsonline.com/site/photograph ... toid=15218 :) :lol:
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

LOL @ the editorial cartoon.

On topic: Supposed to get up to 10\" of snow tonight. Bad thing is it's flatter'n a pancake here. So snowboarding is out of the question. :x
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

mistercool2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mistercool2 »

I lived 60 miles from Buffalo, NY, southeast of Lake Erie (the snow belt) for about 19 years and thought we had it bad.

But this really sux! -
http://www.china.org.cn/english/China/241377.htm

Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

We aint got dat snow in Flo-ri-da!

Keepin' it weel, yo!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, it rained on top of the snow. Now we have snow pudding all over. Eeeeeeeeeeeew!

At least the ski areas have gotten boatloads of snow. Conditions are excellent, except for the avalanche hazards. Time to go skiing! Yiiihaaa! :D
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Red_5 »

tunnelcat wrote:Well, it rained on top of the snow. Now we have snow pudding all over. Eeeeeeeeeeeew!

At least the ski areas have gotten boatloads of snow. Conditions are excellent, except for the avalanche hazards. Time to go skiing! Yiiihaaa! :D
Snowboarding tomorrow! Yiiihaaa!
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

I have my own grading system for different types of snow consistency, related mostly to moisture levels:

A: Decorative fluff. Powdery to torn tissue in texture. Easily shovelled, blows around a lot, can't pack together worth a darn.

B: Wetter and heavier, packs well for snowballs and sculptures, makes for formidable shovelling. Arguably the best snow for playing in.

C: Solid sculpting material, but snowballs may start to sting. Best rolling snow.

D: Approaching sno-cone texture, still rolls and bunches quite well, snowball impacts border on torturous.

F: White ice, often solidly stained from roadsplash, mercilessly festering in the 40+ temps.

BTW, we Wisconsinites have \"enjoyed\" 21 inches above the average fall over the past two months!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Being dumped by 30cm of snow right now.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

It's sunny and 60 deg F here in Atlanta right now. :lol:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Dedman wrote:It's sunny and 60 deg F here in Atlanta right now. :lol:
Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

Dedman wrote:It's sunny and 60 deg F here in Atlanta right now. :lol:
Aren't you guys in the middle of a drought right now? If I could ship some water over to Georgia, you could have it. We've got too much now! If all this snow in the mountains happens to melt all at once, we'll get flooding for sure, it's happened before.

Couldn't even get to the ski resort to ski! The passes are either restricted or closed due to several avalanches! :x
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

Last night it was feebly spitting snow, and this morning we got easily 40cm in an hour. And it's not stopping.

Got a bad cold, so I can't even get out and enjoy it :(
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

tunnelcat wrote:Aren't you guys in the middle of a drought right now?
Yes, a massive drought. We have getting some rain lately (in fact it's raining right now) and we got about 2 inches of snow a few weeks ago. But we are still WWAAYYY behind where we should be. A lot of the lakes are 10-15 feet below full pool. Quite a scary sight.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

At least you don't have THIS problem, although if it melted, you'd have all the water you'd need!

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews ... th_sn.html

The snow is very heavy with a lot of moisture content. They've gotten around 12.5 feet! The walls of their homes and town buildings are cracking under the weight, some have even collapsed.

These towns (Detroit, Mill City and Idanha, Oregon) are at a lower elevation, around 2000 feet, that don't normally get this much snow. The freezing level is supposed to go up to around 7000 feet and rain by this weekend! We just might get more water than we need in the valley.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

Old Man Winter's thrown at least one last hissy fit here in SE WI. My area took on at least a foot today:

Big snowstorms on Ash Wednesday AND Good Friday...incredible...Happy Spring, y'all!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

gotta luv global warming!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I was at my inlaws yesterday (Montreal) and their entire backyard is covered in snow. The fence is 6ft high and there's maybe 1 foot that's left that you can see. I have picture that I took of my dogs on my flickr site showing this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdn_merlin
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

It was in the low 70's here in Atlanta today. Suck it.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Dedman wrote:It was in the low 70's here in Atlanta today. Suck it.
But weren't you hit by a tornado last week? Yeah thought so , I have never seen one in 38 years. :lol:
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

LOL=little white dogs... my wife has a bichon frise.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Willy, the one of the left is a Bichon mixed with a Pomeranian
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

CDN_Merlin wrote:
Dedman wrote:It was in the low 70's here in Atlanta today. Suck it.
But weren't you hit by a tornado last week? Yeah thought so , I have never seen one in 38 years. :lol:
We were. Nobody was hurt though. It plowed right through downtown. Scary stuff. We were getting 3/4 inch hail at my house. Some places were reporting 4 inch hail. YIKES!

Still low 70's in March is hard to beat.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'll live with the cold and snow and bypass the tornados, hurricanes, earth quakes that the US gets.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I will agree with you about tornadoes and hurricanes. They both freak me out. Earthquakes are usually no bid deal. 100% of the tornadoes and hurricanes that hit a house will devastate it. I'm guessing that less than 1% of the earthquakes that hit a house do the same.

Growing up in Southern California, we had quakes all the time. Not once in 26 years did my house ever get damaged in a quake.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Earthquakes are fun, if they are less than about a 5.6 however. Anything above that and things start really falling down!

At least the snow is gone here, Now it's just cold rain, which gets old fast and I need to do some irrigation repairs which won't get done until it warms up a little. Nothing like working and digging in gooey mud to make your day! :wink:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Well, snow will be around here till end of may I'm sure. We average 7ft per season, we have 14 ft right now. Almost the record set back in 71. Then when the spring rain comes, it will cause flooding. Thank god for appt buildings. :D
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Had to miss Good Friday mass, there was no chance in heck we could make it out and back with all the snow that fell.
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

I got out of it. heh

I moved from a part fridgid(getting down to at least -30deg.) and hot(in summer around 115. deg) to the pacific coast area(North/central oregon coast) and the change is nice and moderate never got below 25deg and not nearly as hot in the summer :)
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

Starting to warm up here, finally. 63 outside here currently! Blow stuff up!
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Re:

Post by JMEaT »

Red_5 wrote:Starting to warm up here, finally. 63 outside here currently! Blow stuff up!
55F here now. Kinda was hoping for one last big snow. I work for a University so I get work off when school is canceled. :D