High definition disk format war...

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

High definition disk format war...

Post by Krom »

HD-DVD fans will be glad to know they now own a bunch of coasters. After Warner Brothers Studios went Blu-Ray exclusive, Netflix announced they would quit buying HD-DVD and Best Buy announced that they would give Blu-Ray preferential shelf space. But the final nail in the HD-DVD coffin would be Wal-Mart announcing they would drop support for HD-DVD in June.

Also the Playstation 3 managed to snag second place in sales for January 08, (first place was the Wii of course). The XBOX 360 on the other hand managed to tie for last place...

Over at the Toshiba and Microsoft corporate headquarters, monitors just lit up with a few 'blu' screens of death flashing \"Game Over\".
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

well, if you keep on swinging you'd hit a home run eventually.

too bad thats not the lesson the industry should learn from this...
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah, since the Wal-Mart cutoff is June I'm expecting the price of Blu-Ray movies and hardware to start creeping up around that time frame.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

The fact that we'll have a single standard is a good thing. It's just frustrating that the death of a competitor will likely mean prices will start to rise.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

It's called Capitalism.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Exactly the reason I have not yet bought a PS3/HD/Blu drive yet. PS3 is on the list now. ;)

Also I'm typing this on my new MacBook!!!!11one =O
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Re:

Post by Genghis »

d3jake wrote:It's called Capitalism.
Barely. This battle wasn't decided by market forces at a consumer level. It was decided in back room deals between corporations. It had nothing to do with which format people were buying.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by WillyP »

Genghis wrote:
Barely. This battle wasn't decided by market forces at a consumer level. It was decided in back room deals between corporations. It had nothing to do with which format people were buying.
It's called Capitalism.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

Foil wrote:The fact that we'll have a single standard is a good thing. It's just frustrating that the death of a competitor will likely mean prices will start to rise.
Or fall. I hear HD DVD players are going for cheap now...
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Hostile »

WillyP wrote:
Genghis wrote:
It's called Capitalism.
PWNED!!! :P
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

the sad thing is that means the Blue Ray's replacement will see the same thing again: a format becomes de-facto with little, if any, consumer input, nor demand.

BlueRay and HD-DVD where only introduced because of the looming digital TV switch, not because consumers where looking for a replacement for DVDs.

the irony of it all is that DVDs aren't going away either.
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Hostile »

fliptw wrote:the sad thing is that means the Blue Ray's replacement will see the same thing again: a format becomes de-facto with little, if any, consumer input, nor demand.

BlueRay and HD-DVD where only introduced because of the looming digital TV switch, not because consumers where looking for a replacement for DVDs.

the irony of it all is that DVDs aren't going away either.
How is that ironic? They still make VCR tapes dude. And by the time someone is looking to make a new format, you will just be able to subscribe to an HD on demand service and everyone will have a personal library of 90,000 titles... I doubt I will buy very many DVDs of any type anymore.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Hostile wrote:.. I doubt I will buy very many DVDs of any type anymore.
yup, same here. I'm done. Time to start reading books. .. just hoe they don't change our language as an "upgrade". :P
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

it's confirmed.

HDDVD is now dead.

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/5406
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Blu-ray winning so I'll eventually be able to burn 25 GB per cheap single layer disk on a PC burner is only a bonus to whats really worth celebrating: one more useless online flamedebate has ended.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well I’m glad that’s over…now I can relax and start my Blu Ray collection…and get a Drive/Player.

Anybody that didn’t wait for the outcome was foolish, Doesn’t anyone learn from history.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

then again, unlike beta, HD-DVD is pretty much a dead format now.